Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Markk9

GK guns, 406 vs 420?

5 comments in this topic

[BB35]
Members
533 posts
4,021 battles

Is there any advantage to go with the 420's over the 406's?

I have the GK built has a secondary ship. MAM1, DC1, SMB1, SGM2, CSM1, MBM3

19P Captain: PT, EM, AR, BFT, SI, MFC, AFT

[WOLF3]
Members
27,507 posts
24,067 battles

There's a lot of back and forth about this.

The 420s have better penetration while the 406s have better reload.

Personally I went with the faster reloading 406mm gun option on GK.  I switched back and forth quite a bit back then trying to figure which I felt more comfortable with.  Reload was the biggest draw to me back when the German BB Line first came out.  When I later learned about Overmatch mechanics, and how the 420s get bounced by the same armor that bounces 406mm, it only further reinforced I made the right choice.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds#AP_overmatch

If the armor can bounce 406mm AP, it will bounce everything smaller than 430mm AP.  So in my eyes, there was no reason for going with the German 420s.  On a similar note, if one didn't know how Overmatch worked, you can see it in posts by players when they started using FR BB Republique with its 430mm guns, and how they felt they were doing more consistent damage with them than with a bunch of their other BBs.  It's because 430mm, as you'll see in that Overmatch link, is the first of the large BB gun sizes that defeats a very significant portion of Cruiser armor schemes.  The German 420mm doesn't have that.  It's not large enough.

Edit for a quick little Artillery Chart showing the 406mm and 420mm performance of GK.

Hbxgfi6.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[UN1]
Members
1,248 posts
3,751 battles

If you're a more conservative player that shoots further back, then the 420's are better due to their superior penetration.  The 406's are very poor in that department, but if you're playing close you'll never notice the difference.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,661 posts
35,281 battles

Playing close (where secondaries shine) I like the 406 and get less overpens and faster reload.

Sign in to follow this