Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

4 comments in this topic

[AXANR]
Members
3,638 posts
22,579 battles

Farragut was once my go-to most-played boat, and still holds my 4th-highest battle count. She's the swiss army knife of DDs, and the most underrated ship in the game IMO. She's a mid-tier monster. But for some reason, I took her off my primary ships and never remember to take her out anymore. 

Then, I saw that this weekend's event offers bonus points for playing certain American and IJN ships that were involved in Pearl Harbor...including Farragut. https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/pearl-harbor-remembered/ So I took her out for a few battles, wrecked face, carried a couple teams I normally wouldn't be good enough to carry, and realized how much I missed playing this boat regularly. 

She's the most versatile DD I've played, and she's held up surprisingly well against powercreep even though T6 has a crowded field of newer and very good DDs (T-61, AigleIcarus, etc.). She's insanely good at cap control and DD hunting, but she's at least passable at everything. She can't quite stealthtorp at will, but she can still use her powerful fish from ambush or in open water against obliquely approaching targets. She has the long-lasting USN smoke, puts out insane DPM at close range, starts fires handily, and is absurdly nimble even if she's only moderately fast compared to Aigle or Gnevny. T-61's got a smidge more carry potential in random matches overall between her hydro and her ability to torpspam absurdly quick from stealth, but Farragut will straight up facemurder a T-61 (or damn near any other DD) in a 1v1 if played smart.

Farragut just gives you so many ways to influence a game. She's a superlative ambush hunter; she can use islands and terrain to lay ambushes with her torps or use her high gun DPM to rip apart DDs, stack fires on BBs, or even pop out of hiding and slam AP into cruiser citadels at close range before the cruiser can react. With her USN high shell arcs, she can HE spam BBs with impunity from behind an island, but is nimble and small enough to spray and pray while darting about in open water if one is careful to pick their spots and avoid the more accurate CLs in mid-tier matches. She is still the undisputed champion of cap control, although the meta does force a bit more caution than in years past. She can handle mid-tier CVs as well as any t6 DD and better than most; her AA is good enough to at least thin a bit out of an attacking squad, and she's nimble enough to dodge a lot of what makes it through her AA.

So, thanks, WG, for giving me a reason to pull Farragut out of retirement this weekend; she's exactly what I needed to blow off some steam from the wretched ranked season I've been struggling through.  Screenshot was the last one I played tonight, but every game I've had in her has been solid. I love this boat.

justfarragutstuff.png

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles

Nice, but here's the big question: What hull, and what consumables?

[AXANR]
Members
3,638 posts
22,579 battles
10 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Nice, but here's the big question: What hull, and what consumables?

I use B-hull with smoke and speed. If I *knew* there would be 2 CVs per team, I might be tempted to go C-hull and Def AA, but 99% of the time it's not worth losing a gun turret for. If I'm targeted by a CV all game, then the extra AA power isn't going to make a huge difference, and most of the time I'd rather have the extra firepower for DD hunting. 

I run SE for extra health but even with that, one of Farragut's main drawbacks is a low HP pool. I need to end fights with red DDs ASAP to preserve my HP for mid to late game. Giving up 20% of my firepower for a small increase in AA just isn't worth it most games, and with no way to know in advance whether there will be CVs (and whether there will be a competent opposing CV that focuses destroyers,) I'll have more games where I'm glad to have the extra turret than I will games where I wish I had the AA hull. 

Edited by poeticmotion

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Members
4,578 posts
12,604 battles

Its just too bad they didn't include the Mahan in that. there were several of them in Pearl when the attack happened.

Sign in to follow this