You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rabbitt81

In remembrance of the attack on Pearl Harbor

31 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
14,844 battles

On this day 78 Years ago, Pearl harbor in Hawaii was surprise attacked by the Empire of Japan.

The Sailors, Soldiers, Marines, and Airmen that lost their lives that day shall never be forgotten.

And a thank you to WG for holding an event in remembrance.

Here is the link to the mission: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/pearl-harbor-remembered/

You have to log-in and click the participate button. Mission final reward is one day rental of the USS Arizona and 6-point captain.

Model is 1:200 scale Trumpeter USS Arizona that I built. She is painted in her 1941 color of 5-D dark gray.

USS Arizona 1.jpg

USS Arizona 2.jpg

USS Arizona 3.jpg

USS Arizona.jpg

USS_Arizona_Memorial_(aerial_view).jpg

Arizona Memorial plaque.jpg

• Cool 13

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles

Actually in the in game news there is an off to participate in missions that give some Stars and Stripes camo, and final reward is the USS Arizona. And the nice thing is the missions are quite easily completed. So we will be seeing an increased number of Arizona BBs sailing around in game now. :Smile_Default:

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
14,844 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Actually in the in game news there is an off to participate in missions that give some Stars and Stripes camo, and final reward is the USS Arizona. And the nice thing is the missions are quite easily completed. So we will be seeing an increased number of Arizona BBs sailing around in game now. :Smile_Default:

Here's the link to the mission:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/pearl-harbor-remembered/

You have to click it to participate.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,801 posts
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

It's a one day rental.

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It's a one day rental.

What!? Thought that was permanent ship, usually missions that are for premiums are ours to keep.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
820 posts
7,316 battles

Nope, just a one day rental. Came with a 6 point captain that you do get to keep, and a port slot. Just finished it a little while ago.

In my case I already own an Arizona, so I got the captain, but did not get to keep the port slot for some reason.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,801 posts
6 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

What!? Thought that was permanent ship, usually missions that are for premiums are ours to keep.

No, it says right in the description that it is a rental.

[STW-N]
Members
4,119 posts
9,646 battles

I fully realize that this is part of a World War I poem, but I feel that it is fitting nevertheless.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Let us remember both those who gave their lives 78 years ago and those who have rejoined or eventually will rejoin their shipmates afterwards. Above all, let them find and rest in a better place.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,363 posts
17,639 battles

Our illustrious Captain ran our ship aground in pearl harbor and had to be emergency dry docked. I got out of the Navy about 4 months before he did it, so I wasn't onboard when it happened. With our previous (and much better) Captain were were in and out of Pearl 4 times with out incident.

12/31/84: In 1984 the USS Thomaston(LSD-28) has an emergency drydockingto accomplish underwater hull repairssustained as a result of a grounding.

I case you are interested here is a PDF of Naval accidents from 1945 to 1988.

https://fas.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/NavalAccidents1945-1988.pdf

Members
909 posts
6,165 battles

On 12/7/2019 at 8:42 AM, Rabbitt81 said:
Spoiler

On this day 78 Years ago, Pearl harbor in Hawaii was surprise attacked by the Empire of Japan.

The Sailors, Soldiers, Marines, and Airmen that lost their lives that day shall never be forgotten.

And a thank you to WG for holding an event in remembrance.

Here is the link to the mission: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/pearl-harbor-remembered/

You have to log-in and click the participate button. Mission final reward is one day rental of the USS Arizona and 6-point captain.

Model is 1:200 scale Trumpeter USS Arizona model that I built. She is painted in her 1941 color of 5-D dark gray.

USS Arizona 1.jpg

USS Arizona 2.jpg

USS Arizona 3.jpg

USS Arizona.jpg

USS_Arizona_Memorial_(aerial_view).jpg

Arizona Memorial plaque.jpg

Model looks great! Always did love the look of Arizona looks menacing and elegant at the same time. 

• Cool 1

[IRNBN]
Members
3,477 posts
10,357 battles

Very nice model. BZ.

Meanwile, I'll just leave this here. Carry on, shipmates. We have the watch.

• Cool 5

[CRUEL]
Members
11 posts
6,661 battles

Been there. Actually took 5 or 6 trips to Hawaii before I was finally able to get over to the memorial for a shipmates re-enlistment ceremony. We had the memorial all to ourselves for it. Extremely sobering experience visiting it. Inbound and outbound to Pearl I was always on the bridge or sigs bridge as the primary bearing taker so I usually had to see the memorial after we'd docked.

Little side note, my first ship was in the movie Pearl Harbor. It's very brief, and out of place, but she was there. The USS Tuscaloosa, LST 1187. 

[O_O]
Members
6,558 posts
15,566 battles

I'll sail Arizona frequently today in remembrance. 

Members
147 posts
732 battles

I need a Tier 5 :( ...............How many of y'all have actually been to the U.S.S Arizona memorial? I've seen the oil drops come to the surface

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
666 posts
6,518 battles

Today, Arizona and West Virginia will be getting the patrol duties.  California would've joined them if she had been released.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,634 posts
11,296 battles
38 minutes ago, wolfman757 said:

I need a Tier 5 :( ...............How many of y'all have actually been to the U.S.S Arizona memorial? I've seen the oil drops come to the surface

I was there several years ago.   Very sobering - especially the wall of names.   Fair seas and following winds, my brothers in arms. :Smile_honoring:

A special note for today.  One final crew member to be buried there this Dec 7th.   Rest in peace.  https://www.npr.org/2019/12/06/785562612/pearl-harbor-veteran-expected-to-be-last-uss-arizona-survivor-interred-on-ship

• Cool 1

Members
147 posts
732 battles

reading that bough a couple of tears.

I went aviation at the advice of my father, he was a tin can navy man, subsequently, I have been around the rock three times, theirs a reason I live in Rich square

ALL military personnel are my brothers and sisters I don't give a rats [edited]who's military y were in, your military, I did the cold war, back in the 80's when the USSR was the enemy, found out they were just like us

[IRNBN]
Members
3,477 posts
10,357 battles
1 hour ago, wolfman757 said:

How many of y'all have actually been to the U.S.S Arizona memorial? I've seen the oil drops come to the surface

Several times.

Once, while CHENG of USS Grasp (ARS-24) home-ported there long ago, our divers supported the Park Service for an interment ceremony. Very, very moving. Dry eyes not found.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
2,094 posts
7,603 battles

If you're not in to battleships, consider taking one of these ladies out for a spin today.  They were there on that day as well.

New Orleans - minor damage

Helena - serious damage

Farragut - no damage

Monaghan - no damage

• Cool 1

[KID0]
Members
128 posts
1,392 battles
13 minutes ago, TF77 said:

Several times.

Once, while CHENG of USS Grasp (ARS-24) home-ported there long ago, our divers supported the Park Service for an interment ceremony. Very, very moving. Dry eyes not found.

You were a Pineapple Fleet sailor? I was on the Bryce Canyon when we lost our starboard anchor outside the channel and you guys found it. Small world.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,840 posts
10,882 battles

We remember the events of the Pearl Harbor attack, on December 7th., 1941, to honor those who served, and to prevent a recurrence.

National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
https://www.nps.gov/valr/learn/historyculture/national-pearl-harbor-remembrance-day.htm

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,101 posts
4,661 battles

Two of my uncles were at Pearl that day.  They survived, but it wasn't for the lack of IJN trying.  We remember.

single-saluting-flag_1_copy_0.jpg.c6da35da2e5c0ba13802895060e4fd6c.jpg

• Cool 1

[IRNBN]
Members
3,477 posts
10,357 battles
2 hours ago, Kaigun_Chusa said:

You were a Pineapple Fleet sailor? I was on the Bryce Canyon when we lost our starboard anchor outside the channel and you guys found it. Small world.

Yeah, the BC was a running joke at Pearl. "Building 36", right?

IIRC it was one of the ATF's that got your anchor back, maybe the Tawakoni or Takelma. We had a bunch of "junk boats" in SERVRON Five and HCU-1.