Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Saphira123456

Suggestion: New Game Modes and Modern Era equipment

79 comments in this topic

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles

A select few of the ships in the game were retrofitted in later life and continued to serve as active duty warships after the end of World War II.

Four of the Iowa-class battleships, Missouri among them, served in Korea and Vietnam. Two even served in Desert Storm, and Missouri fired the opening salvo from her historic 16 inch guns.

Additionally, the T9 and T10 aircraft carriers, Essex and Midway, also continued to sail on active duty long after World War II. One example of each are the Essex-class USS Lexington (the museum ship in Corpus Christi) and the Midway herself from the Midway-class.

So, here's my proposal.

Test out a new game mode with upper-tier ships (T9 and T10) getting their modern-era equipment.

Updated jets for the Essex and Midway class ships, like we had in the early years of WoWS, and Vertical Launch System anti-ship Harpoon and Tomahawk cruise missiles for the Iowas, including Missouri.

These would only be allowed in the special mode. In normal gameplay they wouldn't be available to use, however the mode will be around permanently as a reward for getting to a T9+ ship.

In order to keep things fair we can borrow a concept from the game Dreadnought, where missiles only target within visual range.

Also, we could consider a new Modern Scenario mode. A PvE mode like the current Scenario mode, but only the Modern Era ships can used, which will then be pitted against modern AI targets in maps like Korea, Vietnam or even the Persian Gulf.

Another suggestion would be an Anime-only mode where anime ships like the ones from ARP, HaiFuri and Kantai Collection have accurate anime-style weapons, missiles and lasers and stuff.

Also, as a new collab and a new game mode, try Space Battleship Yamato. During the introduction phase, players use ships that look like Earth Defense Force vessels from the original Space Battleship Yamato against AI ships that look like Gamilon/Gamilaas vessels. They can earn in-game skins to make in-game ships look like them. If it works in trial, you can even make this a permanent addition to the game along with the space map. Adding music from SBY might also be a good idea, if only for the events.

You've done this in the past, in a way, but I'm proposing this as a permanent mode.

Suggested SBY ships for this mode are:

Carrier: Shinano

Battleships: Yamato (What would a SBY mode be, without its' signature ship?) and Andromeda (which you can base off the Montana.)

Battlecruiser: Hood

Cruiser: Mogami

Destroyer: Gearing

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 7

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,059 posts
11,740 battles

a modern era would be mostly just the high tier ships but with missiles and all that stuff, now, if WG decided to make a stand alone game for Age of Sail warships and the Era of Pre-Dreadnoughts, then im sure i wouldnt be the only one to jump on that

• Cool 3

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
2 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

a modern era would be mostly just the high tier ships but with missiles and all that stuff

Actually, only the Iowas and Midways were like that historically, but it doesn't have to be that way in the game.

And there are other ships that come from the modern era. They can be included if Wargaming wants.

Russia has a modern era "missile battlecruiser" named after their World War II era Kirov-class cruiser after all. (In fact, the new Kirovs were one of the main reasons the Iowas were reactivated.)

Members
1,099 posts

I came to this game only because of the game I played before this was pay to win.

The ships were from an era I grew up admiring from Hollywood movies of the 50's and 60's depicting the greatest generation.

If WG ever made the next generation of ships a stand alone game I might try it but that is doubtful.

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
4 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

I came to this game only because of the game I played before this was pay to win.

The ships were from an era I grew up admiring from Hollywood movies of the 50's and 60's depicting the greatest generation.

If WG ever made the next generation of ships a stand alone game I might try it but that is doubtful.

That's a great idea, but I'm not asking for that.

This stuff is... slightly... more likely, seeing as they already have the ships I mentioned within the game. They'd just have to do some weapon mods.

I mean, we already had jets on the Tier X Midway-class carriers way back when. It shouldn't be too hard for those to be re-added for T9 and T10 carriers and edited so that they work with the new system.

• Boring 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,115 posts
8,343 battles
4 hours ago, Saphira123456 said:

That's a great idea, but I'm not asking for that.

This stuff is... slightly... more likely, seeing as they already have the ships I mentioned within the game. They'd just have to do some weapon mods.

I mean, we already had jets on the Tier X Midway-class carriers way back when. It shouldn't be too hard for those to be re-added for T9 and T10 carriers and edited so that they work with the new system.

Watching a CV try to spot and rocket a DD with jets would probably be comical. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
2 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Watching a CV try to spot and rocket a DD with jets would probably be comical. :Smile_teethhappy:

True, at least with supersonic speed. But then again early jets were still subsonic. And a DD is so much bigger than a tiny little radar-equipped jet, meaning the spotting would actually be a piece of cake.

Plus, unguided rockets packed much more oomph after World War II. That's when rockets started coming in pods.

The planes used back when the in-game Midway had jets are, if I had to guess, F9F Jaguars which were early subsonic jets.

It really wouldn't be much tougher than with propeller aircraft. Just have to fire a bit earlier than you would with props.

So no, it's not really comical. In fact it'd be even more deadly to DDs as the rockets pack a much larger punch.

All you'd need are a couple of hits and "DD" now means Dead Destroyer.

And if we used modern destroyers like the US Navy's Arleigh Burke... Well, that's easy enough to spot from the air. Our flyboys do it all the time.

So no, not comical. Cake.

• Boring 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,115 posts
8,343 battles
1 minute ago, Saphira123456 said:

True, at least with supersonic speed. But then again early jets were still subsonic. And a DD is so much bigger than a tiny little radar-equipped jet, meaning the spotting would actually be a piece of cake.

Plus, unguided rockets packed much more oomph after World War II. That's when rockets started coming in pods.

The planes used back when the in-game Midway had jets are, if I had to guess, F9F Jaguars which were early subsonic jets.

It really wouldn't be much tougher than with propeller aircraft. Just have to fire a bit earlier than you would with props.

So no, it's not really comical. In fact it'd be even more deadly to DDs as the rockets pack a much larger punch.

All you'd need are a couple of hits and "DD" now means Dead Destroyer.

And if we used modern destroyers like the US Navy's Arleigh Burke... Well, that's easy enough to spot from the air. Our flyboys do it all the time.

So no, not comical. Cake.

To be fair, DDs shouldn't be spotted from around 3km off in general yet spot planes from 10km off, but balance needs to be a thing. If realistic numbers were used on spotting distance, I imagine DD would stand for Dead Destroyer in just about any CV match, even if CVs had no rockets. :Smile_teethhappy: So, while things wouldn't be comical were they using even slight accuracy on that front... trying to attack with jets when you spot your target from 3km off would be silly hard due to all the lead up. Not to mention that more speed gives planes a wider turn, so they'd make Zeppelin look like her planes turn on a dime I imagine.

You'd basically be a rocket that shoots rockets, under the mechanics the game uses. You'd not really be able to turn much once you start a run, and that'd make the guessing game that much harder.

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
7 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

To be fair, DDs shouldn't be spotted from around 3km off in general yet spot planes from 10km off, but balance needs to be a thing.

You'd basically be a rocket that shoots rockets, under the mechanics the game uses. You'd not really be able to turn much once you start a run, and that'd make the guessing game that much harder.

True, but then again, as long as you're properly set up on your target there's not much that could go wrong.

You'd just have to line up properly the first time. It'd take practice - but to be perfectly honest, who the heck doesn't have plenty of practice by the time they get to Tier X anyway?

I agree about the balancing though.

Edited by Saphira123456

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,044 posts
11,191 battles

How about this for a new gearing hull.1128759-14481-66-720.thumb.jpg.a798701abecbd333f021bf12c4328d6b.jpg

Also when WGing did the Russian DD line split they had plans for a 3rd DDG line for them, if you watch I think the 2017 new years video they talk about it and you show you the ships.

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
25 minutes ago, Shigure_DD said:

How about this for a new gearing hull.1128759-14481-66-720.thumb.jpg.a798701abecbd333f021bf12c4328d6b.jpg

Also when WGing did the Russian DD line split they had plans for a 3rd DDG line for them, if you watch I think the 2017 new years video they talk about it and you show you the ships.

If we're talking about the Space Battleship Yamato mode I proposed, here's what I was actually talking about.

destroyer_gearing.jpg

From the EDF section of http://www.shipschematics.net/yamato/

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,044 posts
11,191 battles
1 hour ago, Saphira123456 said:

If we're talking about the Space Battleship Yamato mode I proposed, here's what I was actually talking about.

destroyer_gearing.jpg

From the EDF section of http://www.shipschematics.net/yamato/

Back in CBT the first April fools event was a space battleship yamato mode. 

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
6 minutes ago, Shigure_DD said:

Back in CBT the first April fools event was a space battleship yamato mode. 

True, but that wasn't exactly what I meant as it used modified versions of ships already in the game.

What I'm looking at is a permanent mode using the ships from the anime.

It'd be a collaboration, like the stuff we've seen for Arpeggio and HaiFuri.

• Boring 1

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
1 minute ago, Patosentado said:

I would be mucho more interested in Napoleonic sail ship of the line battles than in missile frigates...

If I'm being honest with myself, the age of sail is pretty interesting BUT we already have plenty of Warships-like games that use those.

So far, nobody has done a modern era game.

That said, some of the ships from the modern era are already in the game. It'd be simple to add in in the additional weapons for those ships.

In the case of carriers, as I said, high-tier carriers already had jets at one point, so it would be simple to re-add them.

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
14 minutes ago, Patosentado said:

I would be mucho more interested in Napoleonic sail ship of the line battles than in missile frigates...

Same here.

I would jump all over 16th-17th century sailing ships, or ships during the turn of the 20th century.  Generally straightforward stuff, relatively speaking.  Too simple for WG to screw up.  Don't try to be clever, just stick with the details and minutiae.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Boring 1

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
1 minute ago, Kuckoo said:

Too simple for WG to screw up.

You'd think, but I know people who'd screw up much simpler stuff.

Stay on topic please. This thread is supposed to be about my suggestions (modern era and anime collabs).

Advancement, as opposed to going backwards to the Age of Sail.

Besides, some of the details of a modern-era mode are already in the game. We just have to add the functionality, or as with carriers, re-add it.

• Boring 1

[LOIN]
Supertester
817 posts
18 hours ago, Saphira123456 said:

Actually, only the Iowas and Midways were like that historically, but it doesn't have to be that way in the game.

And there are other ships that come from the modern era. They can be included if Wargaming wants.

Russia has a modern era "missile battlecruiser" named after their World War II era Kirov-class cruiser after all. (In fact, the new Kirovs were one of the main reasons the Iowas were reactivated.)

I think it would just defeat the purpose of the game. I mean, I honestly play for the second world war feel (more or less). If I wanted to play with missile armed destroyers and cruisers etc. I would just might as well play a modern naval combat game. 

Also, the time period would just be out of the scope the game is supposed to be set around. Sure the U.S had the Nautilus by the 50's but it would only really be the U.S, Britain and maybe Russia. The others like Japan and Germany wouldn't have any. Due to those countries were devastated by the war and were busy trying to rebuild. So, they wouldn't really have many if not, any.

• Cool 1

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
2 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

Models, sure. Mechanics? That's another matter entirely. If you were to remove CVs, Torps, and 3/4 of the abilities, you could reskin WOWS as WOSS (World of Sailing Ships) in no time at all. 

Reskinning WOWS as WOMWS (World of Modern Warships) would take alot more work.

Not really.

Models are what would be the hard part. You'd essentially have to rebuild everything, starting with a whole new fleet of models.

As for torpedoes, the earliest torpedoes were from the American Civil War so actually they'd fit right in. As would submarines (Turtle/CSS Hunley anyone?)

In comparison, making the carrier rework apply to the older jets would be relatively simple, as would adding missiles to the already-built ship models.

• Boring 1

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
4 minutes ago, Starfleet1701 said:

I think it would just defeat the purpose of the game. I mean, I honestly play for the second world war feel (more or less). If I wanted to play with missile armed destroyers and cruisers etc. I would just might as well play a modern naval combat game. 

Also, the time period would just be out of the scope the game is supposed to be set around. Sure the U.S had the Nautilus by the 50's but it would only really be the U.S, Britain and maybe Russia. The others like Japan and Germany wouldn't have any. Due to those countries were devastated by the war and were busy trying to rebuild. So, they wouldn't really have many if not, any.

The limiting factor is why I suggested it be limited to certain modes as opposed to a full-blown all-new game.

Think of it as a reward for getting to high tiers in certain trees.

Also, by the 50s the US supplied arms to all nations, including West Germany and Japan.

So yeah, you could use those nations, however their equipment would be variants of American tree items.

• Boring 1

[-KAK-]
Members
596 posts
11,159 battles
27 minutes ago, Saphira123456 said:

Not really.

Models are what would be the hard part. You'd essentially have to rebuild everything, starting with a whole new fleet of models.

As for torpedoes, the earliest torpedoes were from the American Civil War so actually they'd fit right in. As would submarines (Turtle/CSS Hunley anyone?)

In comparison, making the carrier rework apply to the older jets would be relatively simple, as would adding missiles to the already-built ship models.

I may have missed something... He said 16th - 17th century.... so 1500-1600s.... The USA (If memory serves) was founded in the 1770s.... And I'm assuming that you can't have a civil war before the country was founded..........  I'm gonna call it a nope on Torps & subs.

• Boring 1

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
9 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

I may have missed something... He said 16th - 17th century.... so 1500-1600s.... The USA (If memory serves) was founded in the 1770s.... And I'm assuming that you can't have a civil war before the country was founded..........  I'm gonna call it a nope on Torps & subs.

The Age of Sail lasted long after that, my friend.

Also, torpedoes were around during that era, but they were different.

The first "torpedo" was an explosive charge set on ships' hulls by frogmen and sappers.

Besides, Age of Sail is boring. Sailing only where the wind takes you with no control over where you're going and how you get there sounds like an excuse to avoid combat all together.

It's great for pleasure craft, horrible for combat action.

That said, it's off-topic content and if I wanted off-topic content I'd have posted in the off-topic area instead of the general content area.

Please stay on topic.

Edited by Saphira123456
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
11 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

I erred in saying that.  Got it backwards.

Meant 18th and 19th century, but the older, smaller stuff is as welcome nevertheless.

[SANC]
Members
183 posts
2,962 battles
5 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

I erred in saying that.  Got it backwards.

Meant 18th and 19th century, but the older, smaller stuff is as welcome nevertheless.

It still sounds like an excuse to avoid combat rather than actually duke it out with ships that are actually self-propelled.

This isn't Disney's old Pirates of the Caribbean game where the wind blows where you want it to.

Edited by Saphira123456

Sign in to follow this