Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Anyone Find it Odd Both Alabama and Mass are Premiums?

17 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles

Just got thinking how it’s interesting that WG has Alabama and Massachusetts both as only for Cash or Doubloons when most other ships have a tech tree version of that class available. Granted some classes like Atago are exclusively premium, and others may be considered in a semi premium state for free XP.

But pretty much ever other ship in the game that is a premium has a free to earn sister or clone in the game. So just have been thinking this evening that it just seems odd to me given the patterns of how Wargaming does things. So anyone think we may see one of the other 2 South Dakota class BBs added into the game perhaps in Armory for coal, as free XP ship, or maybe even a second USN BB line? I mean there has been talk amongst members of the Forum that some second BB lines would be nice along with some Battlecruiser lines. And such idea would not exactly be unappealing to WG both as a way to keep providing the player base with new content, and with the added bonus of already being wanted by at least part of the player base.

I am curious if anyone else has found this odd or suspects WG might be considering extra lines of BBs?

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

I'd bet that South Dakota will be the T8 of a line split. The U.S. is a large market with a lot of designs and steel ships, so it would be an easy line to make.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,521 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I am curious if anyone else has found this odd or suspects WG might be considering extra lines of BBs?

I don't find it odd at all nor do I suspect WG being up to anything or expect anything at all worthwhile from them.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,709 battles

Thrawn you are opening old wounds. Originally the Alabama was a premium ship that was ONLY going to be given to testers and the Massachusetts was going to be the same ship and given out to the unwashed masses...  The rioting that followed is commonly called "AlabamaGate". 

Afterwards, some WeeGee (I forget which one) stated that the original plan was to give out the Alabama to testers and then make it available to everyone else......  I was pretty astounded by such a falsehood and is one reason I don't trust Wargaming nor their employees one iota. 

• Cool 2

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,279 posts

Well, the tech tree ship, North Cackalackey, has the most range and best sigma of the bunch. Bama had reduced sigma and range, and Mass, was the derp mode brawler version. The NC got the shaft when they did not lower its citadel the way they did to the other two.

Members
2,030 posts
16,897 battles

alabama is a premium because the playerbase whined that STs were getting a worse North Carolina for themselves and couldn't wait for the Alabama ST clone, Massachusetts to come out. So Alabama was released as well, and mass was delayed to get a gimmick built in.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,709 battles
1 hour ago, Kebobstuzov said:

alabama is a premium because the playerbase whined that STs were getting a worse North Carolina for themselves and couldn't wait for the Alabama ST clone, Massachusetts to come out. So Alabama was released as well, and mass was delayed to get a gimmick built in.

Well it could be players wanted the Alabama due to their attachment to the ship itself............. Restricting a popular ship to just testers was a moronic idea in the first place. I think even Wargaming realized that and is why they attempted to change their story after it was all over.

Edited by Taylor3006

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,266 battles
8 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Well it could be players wanted the Alabama due to their attachment to the ship itself............. Restricted a popular ship to just testers was a moronic idea in the first place. I think even Wargaming realized that and is why they attempted to change their story after it was all over.

It's the same kind of thing that caused BoiseGate really. People saw Boise sailing around in randoms in the hands of testers and thought "oh boy, we're getting another US ship!" Then WeeGee announced that they were just doing that for simplicity's sake and that the upcoming ship was actually Nueve de Julio people lost their $%#&. Because HOW DARE Argentina get their first ship in the game ever and the US be ROBBED of their fourth tier 7 premium cruiser so blatantly. :Smile_smile: Oh woe is the US cruiser player, so bereft of ships that they don't have a premium version of an already implemented tech tree ship. Truly, this is the greatest and saddest tragedy of our time.

Yeah I like US cruisers, but even I found that whole debacle to be a bit much. To quote a far wittier man than I, the US cruiser fans were "like a spoiled rich kid complaining he doesn't get a fourth Maserati to crash."

AlabamaGate at least made sense in that she's a famous museum ship.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,709 battles
3 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

It's the same kind of thing that caused BoiseGate really. People saw Boise sailing around in randoms in the hands of testers and thought "oh boy, we're getting another US ship!" Then WeeGee announced that they were just doing that for simplicity's sake and that the upcoming ship was actually Nueve de Julio people lost their $%#&. Because HOW DARE Argentina get their first ship in the game ever and the US be ROBBED of their fourth tier 7 premium cruiser so blatantly. :Smile_smile: Oh woe is the US cruiser player, so bereft of ships that they don't have a premium version of an already implemented tech tree ship. Truly, this is the greatest and saddest tragedy of our time.

Yeah I like US cruisers, but even I found that whole debacle to be a bit much. To quote a far wittier man than I, the US cruiser fans were "like a spoiled rich kid complaining he doesn't get a fourth Maserati to crash."

Exclusivity breeds contempt. It is that simple. If Wargaming wanted to reward the testers, just give them a FREE freaking boat and let everyone else pay for it. The stupidity of all of it just makes me sick. They could also give out special camos (like they did with Alabama) so they can feel special. They meaning testers... what a crappy sentence......... 

Edited by Taylor3006

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,098 posts
11,771 battles
7 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Well it could be players wanted the Alabama due to their attachment to the ship itself............. Restricting a popular ship to just testers was a moronic idea in the first place. I think even Wargaming realized that and is why they attempted to change their story after it was all over.

This exactly - a lot of us have attachments to certain ships, especially when for some of us it's a matter not even of the ships history but the one for the state or city we live in. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - and if you told be the Brooklyn class USS Philadelphia and PA class PA were going to be locked like that - I'd riot too, hell, I sided with them on principle. Because also I have the Arkansas Beta, and have seen people saying they want a non-beta version because they or their family come from there, or have some connection, etc, and at this point we've had them exclusively for years now - it's time to have one without the beta tag for other players for FXP or Coal, if not a fairly easy to get mission/directive ship. All I need is for mine to keep it's Beta tag, and maybe a shiny special camo. I'm also an ex-ST member, and yeah, I can see giving them something more for what they do and some of the crap they have to deal with - a version that has the ST tag and an awesome camo in either look or bonuses - great, but players should not be locked out of getting ships period - beyond the obvious lack of cash and can't buy it. 

And I know a lot of people argue that Ark Beta is OP - it isn't. It can't shoot down planes, it's damage is middle of the road, it's frags are middle of the road, the one stat it has that is high is Winrate where it is second to Nikolai. Now keep in mind something - it is a premium ship ship that just edges out the tier 4 UK tech tree BB on winrate (less than 1%), has average damage, average frags, KD, and no ability to shoot down planes, in the hands of players who have played this game the longest and have the ability to drop in high point commanders from ships like Iowa and Montana - and it is just barely beating Orion on WR and is otherwise middle of the road. If a ship has the benefit of not only being a premium that can just have high point commanders dropped in no training (which helps skew the stats upward) but also exclusive to the people who have played this game longest (again, things that will skew it upward) and is managing middle of the road - it is definitely no longer OP. 

Also - I don't find it weird both are premiums as FXP and coal were either weren't a thing yet or were still very early in their use, and steel existed but given some of the salt over Black and Flint - yeah better to make it a premium. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,025 posts
22,709 battles
9 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

*Snipped only for brevity*

Testers deserve something nice for the work they do and I like the idea of free premium ships, special flags, and super special camos is a good way of doing that. Heck if Wargaming is worried that giving a free premium ship constitutes "pay", then give the testers a mission to earn the free ship (albeit not too hard) and be done with it. You are right, people have attachments to ships for all sorts of reasons whether they had relatives serving on the boat, they visited the boat, or like you said, a ship was named for their home state/city. Telling those people that they can not have a particular ship for money is just not a good business model. I think Wargaming found this out when they announced their plans regarding Alabama... I laughed when this happened because all I could think of was how crazy Crimson Tide fans were over football. Wargaming got a good taste of that, it was an epic spanking. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,098 posts
11,771 battles
33 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Testers deserve something nice for the work they do and I like the idea of free premium ships, special flags, and super special camos is a good way of doing that

I agree they do, cause it's like a job. But yeah - the exclusivity is dumb. It was dumb for Bama in particular, it's still dumb on Ark Beta, and Iwaki is only a question mark because I don't think experience and premium edges fully account for it's higher stats over tier 4 cruisers, in the hands of average players and all while the 'DD with a citadel' gameplay can be rough on some players, I think at worst you'd maybe see it drop to number 2 in damage if that. Though I personally think it speaks more to some of the lower tier cruisers needing a buf rather than Iwaki a nerf at this point.

Then again I also have the more extreme stance no ship should be exclusive long term (short term is fine). Players that don't play ranked or CB for various reasons should be able to get ships like Black and Flint - the Ranked/CB players just able to do so faster and get their own special camo's or whatever. They've taken a step toward that, but I mean something a tad more more reliable and consistent than Christmas bonuses (pretty sure we get less this year, if I'm lucky with the new resource coupon might have a shot at Flint) and RNG from Supercontainers. Testers get something like Bama free rest of us have to earn/buy it - I'm fine with that. Puerto Rico should maybe make a comeback later as a resource ship after a few months for those who couldn't complete the potential hell grind this looks to be. Hell, I really like the idea of them taking some of the old premiums and maybe making them available for coal like Blys. I'm even against the 'removed cause 'popular/OP' thing. I feel it actually helps make the issue worse because other players can't obtain it, if they can't obtain it they can't learn it, they can't learn it, they can't know better it's strengths and weaknesses - ones that they can then learn to exploit to beat it in other ships. 

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
4,441 posts
11,564 battles
4 hours ago, Doombeagle said:

The NC got the shaft when they did not lower its citadel the way they did to the other two.

NC's citadel is the same waterline citadel as Alabama/Mass, and was waterline at least a couple years back when I first unlocked it, and the two premiums had their citadels lowered to match NC's either during testing or shortly after release. Iowa/Missouri/Montana didn't get their citadels lowered until much later to match the waterline citadels of the t8s.

Members
9 posts
4,723 battles

ell, the tech tree ship, North Cackalackey, has the most range and best sigma of the bunch. Bama had reduced sigma and range, and Mass, was the derp mode brawler version. The NC got the shaft when they did not lower its citadel the way they did to the other two.

Which is interesting since they all had the same guns in real life, the same fire control, the same super heavy AP shell... Actually, the SoDaks had a much better armor scheme than the NCs, and probably the best of any treaty battleship. In some ways, they were better armored than the Iowas, and certainly better than the Bismarcks and the other German types, with far better guns and fire control. I wish they mirrored real life better.

Members
18 posts
6,366 battles

It might also be relevant that Alabama, Massachusetts, and North Carolina are all still around as museum ships, which means WarGaming can milk sentimental fools (like me) who have visited those ships IRL. Hell, I'm a member of Big Mamie. I believe WarGaming has held events on at least two of those ships, and thrown some money their way in exchange for cooperation and endorsements -- and I don't mind in the least.

Plus, the Mamie is such big dirty fun to drive...

Members
948 posts
2,317 battles

While most countries there's more tiers than classes the US has more classes than tiers. 

To those saying there's going to be a split that'd be great and all but from a business perspective why wouldn't WG just gradually release the remaining US BB's as premiums? Especially given each one represents a state and that stats players would be more likely to buy it. Just don't see them just giving us another 8 of them especially the higher tier ones which have more of a history attached like Washington, or one of the other 2 Iowas. Isn't Maryland the last US BB left they could put at T7?

Edited by Aristotle83

Sign in to follow this