Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hexeris

Amalfi

11 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
816 posts
13,523 battles

So this is where the Italian lines comes to life. Really liking this ship apart from the slow [edited] turrets.

• Cool 1

Members
3,683 posts
13,202 battles

Im enjoying the tier5/6s. Moreso than I think others have. Look forward to the Amalfi and the higher tiers, many say the tier8+ are pretty good overall. 

italy.jpg

[WOLF3]
Members
27,556 posts
24,067 battles

For Italian Cruisers specifically, this is where the peak of shell characteristics start.  Tier IX & X have the same shell performance, shell flight characteristics, the only difference is the amount of guns.

That said, overall as a Tier VIII Cruiser, Amalfi is underwhelming.

Strong AP?  Baltimore & Admiral Hipper-class have that with strong AP Pen also, just not to the degree as Amalfi.  Baltimore has USN CA AP bounce angles.

Baltimore has Radar.

Baltimore & Admiral Hipper-class have access to Hydro;  Amalfi doesn't.

Baltimore & Admiral Hipper-class have HE as an option against well angled, heavily armored threats while SAP demands the enemy be a moron and oblige by showing you broadside.

Admiral Hipper has 203mm x8 with 11.5 seconds reload;  Baltimore has 203mm x9 with 10 seconds reload;  Amalfi has 203mm x9 with a laughable 16 seconds reload.

Etc.

Etc.

Amalfi is good for an ITA Cruiser.  But ITA Cruisers aren't good to begin with.  Exception being Tier X Venezia, the rest are hot garbage.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
3,097 posts
12,276 battles
16 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Exception being Tier X Venezia, the rest are hot garbage.

For some players T10 ship in the line is all that matters, never mind the rest.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,556 posts
24,067 battles
5 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

It's a good thing then, because the rest aren't anything to write home about :Smile_veryhappy:

Members
3,683 posts
13,202 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's a good thing then, because the rest aren't anything to write home about :Smile_veryhappy:

Ive been having fun yolo smoke torping BBs so far. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
46 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

For Italian Cruisers specifically, this is where the peak of shell characteristics start.  Tier IX & X have the same shell performance, shell flight characteristics, the only difference is the amount of guns.

That said, overall as a Tier VIII Cruiser, Amalfi is underwhelming.

Strong AP?  Baltimore & Admiral Hipper-class have that with strong AP Pen also, just not to the degree as Amalfi.  Baltimore has USN CA AP bounce angles.

Baltimore has Radar.

Baltimore & Admiral Hipper-class have access to Hydro;  Amalfi doesn't.

Baltimore & Admiral Hipper-class have HE as an option against well angled, heavily armored threats while SAP demands the enemy be a moron and oblige by showing you broadside.

Admiral Hipper has 203mm x8 with 11.5 seconds reload;  Baltimore has 203mm x9 with 10 seconds reload;  Amalfi has 203mm x9 with a laughable 16 seconds reload.

Etc.

Etc.

Amalfi is good for an ITA Cruiser.  But ITA Cruisers aren't good to begin with.  Exception being Tier X Venezia, the rest are hot garbage.

And let’s not forget about Hipper Class torpedoes, I have sunk a shocking number of ships with those. Possibly a mix between how fast, stealthy, and hard hitting the Hipper’s German torpedoes are. If enemy comes into decent rant of those they are in the very least going to take serious damage if not sunk in devastating strike. Lol had some enemy ships come around islands while they thought I was “helpless while beached”. They did not have a chance with 2 sets of torp launchers per side.

While the Italians also possess torpedoes that are longer Ranked than Hipper’s, they get to fire off less torpedoes, less chances of hits thanks to slow speed which also gives enemy more reaction and attack time, and pretty sure Italian torpedoes reload slower as well compared to Hipper.

Also wanted to mention the Mogami class Cruisers have solid abilities as well, used 155mm guns loaded with AP and got like 30-40 citadel hits in a battle against CAs, and then you get hydro or def AA, 10km torpedoes that hit hard, and HE salvoes of either 15 HE shells or 10 HE shells depending on the guns you are using. I have been on the receiving end of having Italian SAP shells against my DD, but those are only effective if they hit and pen. Mogami hurling 15 HE shells at your DD ensures more hit chances and Mogami seems to reload faster as well. Not to mention Mogami is stealthier than Almalfi.

So all in all I am not exactly sold on the Italian CAs when other CAs can do anything they can do as far as battle performance and even exceed the Italian CAs in performance. Although the Venezia at tier X has caught my eye in Ranked, so it might be worth looking into as it’s armor and weapons are not bad, and I found out to my surprise that Venezia was trying to outrun my Gearing (my Gearing was not under speed boost at the time, but I was at full speed and using Sierra Mike flags.)

So Italian line may just be one of those lines you either have to suffer through, or else weigh the cost of using Free XP to get into the high tier ships or even straight to the tier X Venezia. Much like USN CAs can suffer with a few of the ships in their lines, but high tier and X ships in particular are good. And to be honest non premium tier 5-7 German CAs were really hard on me until I got Hipper. Meanwhile IJN CAs are great all the way up the line, with only tier IX being a little meh out the entire line, and with that being my first CA line I went to X with I supposed I could of been a little spoiled by it.

[--K--]
Members
5,375 posts
17,510 battles
49 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I am troubled when some review a ship and only focus on the T10 and base their judgement on the line only on that T10. 
Personally I judge a line on all the ships it takes to get to the T10. The more garbage ship in a line the worst I view the line. 
I think the French Cruiser line is trash, stopped playing at the T8. Because the T6, T7 and T8 were a pain to play and make preform. I don't care how good the T10 is because the ships leading to it are junk. The Russian Cruiser line has the opposite problem, the line is filled with a lot of fun cruiser but the Moskva is kind of a let down. 
The Russian Cruiser line is fun to play while the French Cruiser line isn't. 
I don't understand why WG seems to focus their efforts on the T10s and to lesser extent the T9 and T8. Why do we always hear "This line really starts being good at [insert high tier number]". Shouldn't each ship at each tier be fun to play and effective? Yet we are left with many ships that are just junk, loot pinatas for any ship that can aim. Why are there lines that are full of boats you either have to suffer through or spend resources to skip? 

I think its bad game design...but what do I know I'm just a player. 

• Cool 1

[USCG]
Members
605 posts
20,449 battles

I started to like them at Tier 7. I’m up to 9 and they’re fun and different for a change. Still, there isn’t one I’d pick in favor of some same tier tech tree or premiums if it came down to it. Overall, they’re just...meh performance wise. 

[PRMUS]
Members
54 posts
5,458 battles
On 12/7/2019 at 8:08 AM, RedSeaBear said:

I am troubled when some review a ship and only focus on the T10 and base their judgement on the line only on that T10. 
Personally I judge a line on all the ships it takes to get to the T10. The more garbage ship in a line the worst I view the line. 
I think the French Cruiser line is trash, stopped playing at the T8. Because the T6, T7 and T8 were a pain to play and make preform. I don't care how good the T10 is because the ships leading to it are junk. The Russian Cruiser line has the opposite problem, the line is filled with a lot of fun cruiser but the Moskva is kind of a let down. 
The Russian Cruiser line is fun to play while the French Cruiser line isn't. 
I don't understand why WG seems to focus their efforts on the T10s and to lesser extent the T9 and T8. Why do we always hear "This line really starts being good at [insert high tier number]". Shouldn't each ship at each tier be fun to play and effective? Yet we are left with many ships that are just junk, loot pinatas for any ship that can aim. Why are there lines that are full of boats you either have to suffer through or spend resources to skip? 

I think its bad game design...but what do I know I'm just a player. 

Isn't there always some junk ships in every line? for example, tier 7 yorck in German ca gives me headaches, new Orleans ain't the best either, emerald is a piece of junk, etc.

Sign in to follow this