You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

About Gryf (Pan 'European' T1)

22 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,426 posts
19,312 battles

So WG announced the pan 'european' destroyer line. It starts off with a Polish ship, ORP Gryf.

nkKkW63.jpg

Let me get one thing out of the way first ...

Gryf is very much a ship worthy of being remembered and added to the game. First ship sunk in WWII, representing a nation that suffered greatly during the war and has a history of being torn at by other European nations. I have a great soft spot for the Polish people and their efforts and tribulations during the war.

I have absolutely zero problem with Gryf being implemented in the game.

But one thing bothers me ...

In order to shoe-horn her into T1, WG has elected to remove fully one third of her firepower.

ABibwhJ.jpg

This turret, recovered from the stern of a heavily damaged and half sunken Gryf, represents the exact amount of firepower WG has gutted in order to fit the ship into T1.

You see, Gryf was originally built with six Bofors 120mm mod 34/36 guns. And WG is giving her four.

Why disrespect a ship by gutting her in order to fit her in, when there are other European ships that have equally worthy histories that would slot right in to tier without the need to gut them? Imagine WG would implement USS New Jersey at T8 and rip off her #2 turret to make her fit? Extreme example, but it's basically what's happening here.

• Cool 12
  • Boring 2

[SIM]
Members
5,096 posts
8,219 battles

They really should have hit her with a slower rate of fire or reduced damage per shell if the ship needed nerfed to fit into tier I. Alternatively, they could have made her a low tier premium and stuck something else at tier I. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,478 posts
25,669 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

So WG announced the pan 'european' destroyer line. It starts off with a Polish ship, ORP Gryf.

nkKkW63.jpg

Gryf is very much a ship worthy of being remembered and added to the game. First ship sunk in WWII, representing a nation that suffered greatly during the war and has a history of being torn at by other European nations. I have a great soft spot for the Polish people and their efforts and tribulations during the war.

In order to shoe-horn her into T1, WG has elected to remove fully one third of her firepower.

ABibwhJ.jpg

This turret, recovered from the stern of a heavily damaged and half sunken Gryf, represents the exact amount of firepower WG has gutted in order to fit the ship into T1.

You see, Gryf was originally built with six Bofors 120mm mod 34/36 guns. And WG is giving her four.

Why disrespect a ship by gutting her in order to fit her in, when there are other European ships that have equally worthy histories that would slot right in to tier without the need to gut them? Imagine WG would implement USS New Jersey at T8 and rip off her #2 turret to make her fit? Extreme example, but it's basically what's happening here.

Well, WG lost me outside of just playing for personal satisfaction a year ago; though the straw had been piling up for a while before then.

Not surprised by this or the whole rest of the mess you talked about in your previous thread.

Maybe WG will do another line, with ships of other nations, a possibility I think you mentioned; but if so; they’re proving once again their communication skills are somewhat lacking by not making such perfectly clear.

0 posts
1 hour ago, Lert said:

This is not disrespect, but an example of pragmatism. It is a well known fact that players who are new to the game struggle with the coordination of more than 2 turrets. :Smile_child:

• Confused 3

[PVE]
Members
19,851 posts
12,029 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

nkKkW63.jpg

ABibwhJ.jpg

1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

They really should have hit her with a slower rate of fire or reduced damage per shell if the ship needed nerfed to fit into tier I. Alternatively, they could have made her a low tier premium and stuck something else at tier I. 

Black Swan has 3x2 102mm, so I don't see why Gryf could not have been tweaked a bit for 4x1 120mm and 1x2 120mm. 

[WOLF9]
Members
737 posts
19,586 battles

Well, being of Polish ancestry, looks like I will be adding a second DD to my fleet of BBs and CAs.

[POP]
Members
2,856 posts
23,057 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

nkKkW63.jpg

ABibwhJ.jpg

Cant agree any more this is just plain stupid its just another part of the whole #Swedishgate fiasco and as @Kizarvexis has mentioned and we all know Black swan has a 3 x 2 configuration.

This is a Historic ship, small but still part of the Worlds Naval Tradition and Heritage and this is what it gets.

Hell like @SkaerKrow it could have been a RARE Tier 1 premium and I for one would certainly buy her.

#JusticeForGryf

[POP]
Members
2,856 posts
23,057 battles
4 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I take it they removed the two single mount turrets?

No they just made the twin guns single

0 posts
9 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

I take it they removed the two single mount turrets?

if you look at the only released dev screenshot of the WOWS model for Gryf, the fore turrets, one single mount and one twin, appear to be present, and intact. I can only assume that they have removed the aft turrets.

image.thumb.png.95221a9698fd63cdaeacebe0

[IRNBN]
Members
3,486 posts
10,381 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

nkKkW63.jpg

ABibwhJ.jpg

It is kind of strange considering Black Swan has six guns as built.

[WOLFC]
Members
690 posts
25,836 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

Disappointed but not surprised. not after WG almost made Albacores the torpedo bombers on the Ark Royal.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,806 posts

Eh, I mean look at the MO.  It is THE most iconic ship in the game for many from the US. 

You ask many players here about the Mighty Mo and they are at the very least going to know that it is a well known battle ship and they probably know that it is at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.

It is basically unobtainable for most new (and many old but missed it) players. They are never going to be able to have it in their port, or play it in a match.

You ask those same players what the "Gryf" is, they are honestly unlikely to have even heard of it.

Not saying that what you are talking about is a good thing but relatively for an NA server...

[X-]
Members
12 posts
8,088 battles

This Twin 120mm bow gun is one of two main guns were moved ashore after the sinking in on September 3, 1939. The goal was to use them as coastline artillery however I do not have information if they saw action ashore.
It resides in a Naval Museum in Gdynia, Poland. I happened to visit this place last summer.

My grandpa was stationed on this ship (bottom left) and according to my dad he manned this gun. The original photograph is in the museum. Taken I believe in 1938 in Gdynia.

The Hel campaign lasted a month, longer than the Germans predicted.

IMG_6848.PNG

IMG_6849.PNG

IMG_6850.PNG

IMG_6851.PNG

• Cool 2

[GGWP]
Members
6,911 posts
15,632 battles
On 12/6/2019 at 5:51 PM, LoveBote said:

This is not disrespect, but an example of pragmatism. It is a well known fact that players who are new to the game struggle with the coordination of more than 2 turrets. :Smile_child:

New players aren't going to hit accurately with the extra 2 guns, so why fix it. Amiright? 

[PVE]
Members
19,851 posts
12,029 battles
40 minutes ago, TheLastRollOfToiletPaper said:

New players aren't going to hit accurately with the extra 2 guns, so why fix it. Amiright? 

WG announced the fix in on of the Dev blogs, so Gryf will have the proper armament.

Gryf.thumb.JPG.d3072d94ceb247a562bcfbfdd16368bb.JPG

0 posts
2 hours ago, TheLastRollOfToiletPaper said:

Precisely, why overburden new players with the expectation of actually hitting anything. Although I wonder why we are bothering with the first 5 tiers for new tech trees. I mean a genuinely new player starting off in the game with the pan EU dds? I struggle with the notion.

[TARK]
Members
6,966 posts
2,624 battles
2 hours ago, LoveBote said:

Precisely, why overburden new players with the expectation of actually hitting anything. Although I wonder why we are bothering with the first 5 tiers for new tech trees. I mean a genuinely new player starting off in the game with the pan EU dds? I struggle with the notion.

Most of the interesting historical ships are in the first five tiers...

[SALVO]
Members
4,660 posts
4,024 battles
On 12/6/2019 at 4:05 PM, Lert said:

Out of respect, WG is pulling a new port with the line, Gdnask. There you will have the twin turret as a memento.