You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

Mass Massachusets Attack!

26 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,237 posts
4,119 battles

Had a game last night with this MM

shot-19_12.05_21_40.31-0618.thumb.jpg.fbc245dd280aa0601c0d2804b6be7f39.jpg

4 Massachusetts on one team (to be fair, I was in a Mass B). Even more hilariously, 3 of us spawned together in the center, and one guy by a cap.

So we did the natural thing, grouped up and pushed D hard:Smile_izmena: There were 3 red DDs on D. And 5 minutes in the reds were down 3 DDs:cap_rambo:Secondaries are awesome. 4 sets is even better.

At that point the 4 BBs and two cruisers they had left on that flank were already scared, and 5 minutes later the only one left was their Mass running for his life across the map, chased by the four of us.

1045770128_MassAttack.thumb.jpg.4a1780ab4c6ca1a3ab5b521f07118ca4.jpg

We definitely had some help from our DDs, but the firepower of four BBs is scary enough, and the secondary power the Mass brings is just hilarious. The best bit was that all four of us saw the MM, and immediately knew we had to group up and push together. I would have loved to see their DD's reactions as we pushed, they clearly had no idea what to do. Even the reds had to admit there was not a whole lot they could do.

It's random things like this which make up the bad days in WOWS.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
11,116 posts
18,750 battles

This is a balance MM argument that is IMO valid...

4 Massachuesettes VS  4 inferior BB in a 5 BB match...

The only hope for the red team were the DDs on the red team... If not, I agree with the MM complainers of the forums, red team had zero chance...

Members
935 posts
4,079 battles

lmbo

When I first got the Mass, I was disappointed in it's higher dispersion compared to other ships and didn't think that the secondaries were good enough for a high tier

Now when I play it again, that opinion has completely switched

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,108 posts

57 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

4 Massachusetts on one team .

I would love to see a four Massachusetts all firing their secondaries at a single target -- I bet it would just melt into the water.

[IRNBN]
Members
3,477 posts
10,357 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Had a game last night with this MM

shot-19_12.05_21_40.31-0618.thumb.jpg.fbc245dd280aa0601c0d2804b6be7f39.jpg

4 Massachusetts on one team (to be fair, I was in a Mass B). Even more hilariously, 3 of us spawned together in the center, and one guy by a cap.

So we did the natural thing, grouped up and pushed D hard:Smile_izmena: There were 3 red DDs on D. And 5 minutes in the reds were down 3 DDs:cap_rambo:Secondaries are awesome. 4 sets is even better.

At that point the 4 BBs and two cruisers they had left on that flank were already scared, and 5 minutes later the only one left was their Mass running for his life across the map, chased by the four of us.

1045770128_MassAttack.thumb.jpg.4a1780ab4c6ca1a3ab5b521f07118ca4.jpg

We definitely had some help from our DDs, but the firepower of four BBs is scary enough, and the secondary power the Mass brings is just hilarious. The best bit was that all four of us saw the MM, and immediately knew we had to group up and push together. I would have loved to see their DD's reactions as we pushed, they clearly had no idea what to do. Even the reds had to admit there was not a whole lot they could do.

It's random things like this which make up the bad days in WOWS.

Bet that was a blast. Congrats. :Smile_great:

In one of Yuro's videos he's in a 3-man clan div of three GK's steamrolling the caps in succession. Brutally funny, both the game and the chat salt.

[TARK]
Members
6,910 posts
2,612 battles
10 minutes ago, TF77 said:

Bet that was a blast. Congrats. :Smile_great:

In one of Yuro's videos he's in a 3-man clan div of three GK's steamrolling the caps in succession. Brutally funny, both the game and the chat salt.

It really highlights how powerful manual secondary battleships are in groups. 

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,352 posts
23,832 battles

Massachusetts is the most P2W ship there is, I'm not surprised there were so many. Dont get me wrong, I have one but that BB jas just about everything going for it without much of a downside.

[TARK]
Members
6,910 posts
2,612 battles
3 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

Massachusetts is the most P2W ship there is, I'm not surprised there were so many. Dont get me wrong, I have one but that BB jas just about everything going for it without much of a downside.

I'm surprised that they didnt make a strong Russian battleship premium with secondaries like the Mass.

It would print rubles.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
666 posts
6,518 battles
5 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

One downside:  She doesn't have torpedoes.:Smile_hiding:  That would just be downright nasty.

[IRNBN]
Members
3,477 posts
10,357 battles
43 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I'm surprised that they didnt make a strong Russian battleship premium with secondaries like the Mass.

It would print rubles.

No doubt coming *soon*. Glorious Soviet Red Banner Fleet is secondary to none!

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,352 posts
23,832 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It would print rubles.

1 hour ago, Ann_Darrow said:

One downside:  She doesn't have torpedoes.:Smile_hiding:  That would just be downright nasty.

Shhhhhhhhh! They might hear you!

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
1 hour ago, Skuggsja said:

Try brawling against a Bismarck that knows about Mass having typical USN BB armor.... Mass may be strong, but it’s armor is not quite up to German standards. But Mass is a good second to Bismarck though. :Smile_Default:

Although if a heavy CV presence is in battles then Mass could slip into 1st and Bismarck second in winning chances thanks to AA differences.

[BB35]
Members
534 posts
4,035 battles

I love the Mass, she is main currently. I have 171 battles with her at a 53% win rate.

[TARK]
Members
6,910 posts
2,612 battles
13 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Try brawling against a Bismarck that knows about Mass having typical USN BB armor.... Mass may be strong, but it’s armor is not quite up to German standards. But Mass is a good second to Bismarck though. :Smile_Default:

Although if a heavy CV presence is in battles then Mass could slip into 1st and Bismarck second in winning chances thanks to AA differences.

16 inch guns vs 15 inch guns.

6 guns facing forward vs 4 guns facing forward.

In a brawl, the Massachusetts is superior to the Bismarck, since the secondaries are going to be hitting belt armor and the point is fire starting, not pure HE damage. Rate of fire is thus more important than caliber. Plus the main battery (competently aimed) outputs more damage than Bismarcks main battery.

[RKLES]
Members
12,554 posts
14,283 battles
25 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

16 inch guns vs 15 inch guns.

6 guns facing forward vs 4 guns facing forward.

In a brawl, the Massachusetts is superior to the Bismarck, since the secondaries are going to be hitting belt armor and the point is fire starting, not pure HE damage. Rate of fire is thus more important than caliber. Plus the main battery (competently aimed) outputs more damage than Bismarcks main battery.

My experience is getting to sneak through islands and suddenly ambush the Mass with Bismarck, or else come into contact at mid range and quickly close the distance into point blank range. If you manage to end up in even fight at really close range to Mass with Bismarck, you both start circling, your 15” shells are tearing into their hull/ citadel, their 16” shells are either tearing into your hull, overpenning, or even bouncing. Also my hydro also gets activated in case somebody tries to interfere with torpedoes which can give me another edge as I can dodge the torpedoes that may actually strike the Mass as has happened before in some of my brawls.

Now if the Mass and Bismarck encounter each other at longer ranges, in open water, and try moving close for secondary duel while firing main battery guns all the while, then yes advantage goes to Mass as you pointed out about the gun differences, and my point about German armor being good close range has the unfortunate drawbacks of being more vulnerable farther out. And this advantage only increases in favor of Mass if both teams have equally matched CVs that are attacking both ships as Mass will have even greater advantages of it ever got far enough in such a battle to have secondaries be used. Bismarck might even be sunk before getting into range.

These 2 scenarios are why I plan my routes in battles careful, choose my skirmishes as wisely as possible, and if it comes done to a Mass vs my Bismarck I try using map topography to my advantage to ensure our duel starts at most advantageous moment as possible.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[YORHA]
Members
5,048 posts
10,067 battles

2 hours ago, Skuggsja said:

Comparatively poor range and questionable dispersion.

But it is, by far, my favorite ship.

[TARK]
Members
6,910 posts
2,612 battles
36 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Comparatively poor range and questionable dispersion.

But it is, by far, my favorite ship.

German battleships laugh at your idea of questionable dispersion. 

Your assertion is like claiming the Soviet damage control party is a weakness...

[OVRPN]
Members
746 posts

I am really curious about duplicating ships in a line up, more than once only the left side duplicated and to an extreme. the only time the other column had duplicates was matching ships.

Members
336 posts
6,436 battles

She is my favorite ship.  Playing it brought me back and keeps me playing.  Have my most kills in it, most planes down in it, most fun in it. 

Screenshot_20191206-202339.png

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,237 posts
4,119 battles
3 hours ago, fourteenfour said:

I am really curious about duplicating ships in a line up, more than once only the left side duplicated and to an extreme. the only time the other column had duplicates was matching ships.

Yeah, MM is supposedly supposed to balance out duplicate ships, the Massachusetts in that game should have been spread 3-2. But I don't think that part of MM works real well because like you I've seen a lot of imbalances in ship type.

[FOXEH]
Members
1,909 posts
11,878 battles
12 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

According to LWM, Mass will kick Tirpitz [edited]in a secondary fight.  Easily

[YORHA]
Members
5,048 posts
10,067 battles
11 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

German battleships laugh at your idea of questionable dispersion. 

Your assertion is like claiming the Soviet damage control party is a weakness...

So because I say Massachusetts has "questionable dispersion " I mean that German BBs don't?

xkfRmzr.jpg

Edited by JCC45

[TARK]
Members
6,910 posts
2,612 battles
2 hours ago, JCC45 said:

So because I say Massachusetts has "questionable dispersion " I mean that German BBs don't?

xkfRmzr.jpg

I've never seen a Mass with 'questionable' dispersion.

In fact, in my opinion, for the good of the game, the 'questionable' dispersion is on the battleships with excellent long range accuracy.

Battleships in this game should ONLY be accurate up close. That would do wonders to make the meta more dynamic.