You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: The Permanent Campaigns. Yamamoto Part 1.

13 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,670 posts
14,760 battles

When I was but a noob, getting the bejezus thrashed out of me in my first Tier 8 ship (Edinburgh), I looked at things like this

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Yamamoto_Isoroku

as an impossible goal.

It took me a long time to realise that completion was, like Thanos, inevitable. The keys were consistency and patience. Let's take a closer look at that campaign. Mission 1: 

image.thumb.png.354864932c6efb69cdd6e14d5b479858.png

We see here that some of the missions are closed to Mr Just-Got-His-First-T8 seal-potato, so let's just ignore those completely and concentrate on what we can do. Tasks 4 through 9 are all open to us, and tasks 8 and 9 are by far the easiest - ANY Random game we play in our Tier 8 ship will advance them both, because the credit earnings counter only looks at what we bring in, not what our service costs take out. Task 7 is effectively closed to British and Italian cruisers (at least until the UK heavies come along), because they can't set fires with their main armament (no HE shells) and trying to do so with secondaries in Random battles promotes reckless play that loses battles and costs XP (and your team-mates' patience).

Task 8 is achievable in one day of play if we have the time to play out to the third daily crate (which requires 37,500 XP) and the persistence to do so in that one T8 ship that we have. Let's assume we have both the time and the persistence. Task 8 gives two stars, and we need eight stars to unlock the final task. The reward (equal speed charlie london signals) is only given once, but the task can be selected and performed for the bonus stars as many times as you like

Day 1: Select Task 8 and Task 9, and play out to the 3rd daily crate. Task 8 is now done, and the port UI will inform you of this by displaying a star in the Campaigns area on the left of the screen. Go back in and reselect Task 8.

Assess your progress on task 9.  Did you earn 2 million gross? How far away are you? If you aren't done, leave it active.

You should have at least two campaign stars and quite possibly four.

Day 2: If you played to the 3rd crate on Night 1, you will now be 7,500 XP into the second iteration of Task 8 and you will easily finish it for the second time by playing to that 3rd crate. You will also almost certainly complete Task 9 for the first time too, and probably part of the second.

You should have at least six campaign stars and quite possibly eight. 

Day 3: If you have eight campaign stars already, you should cancel all active tasks, select the final task and play it in the same way you played Task 8. If not, you will probably be in the position of finishing off the cash grind for the second time. Do so, then finish the final task on Day 4. 

Naturally it is important to set your own pace here. For example, if you can't afford the time to play to the third crate, play to just past the second (i.e. 15,000 ship XP) and double the times given. You will still be done in a little over a week, and it will be time to move on to Mission 2. You could select one or more of the other tasks, requiring damage, citadels or destruction, but newcomers to T8 with not that many battles under their belt sometimes don't do as well in these areas and it's important at this early stage to choose tasks that you KNOW you will advance regardless of how the battle pans out. In this Mission, the XP and credit tasks earn as many stars as the combat tasks do - an important difference from the later stages, and designed to help you get a running start.

If you chose to do this entirely by playing the XP mission - e.g. if you were simultaneously trying to complete Honourable Service or the Halsey campaign - you could do it in five nights or less, playing to the third daily crate each night. Doing it four times to unlock the final task requires earning 120,000 ship XP, into which 37,500 goes 3.2 times. That means three nights and part of a fourth to unlock the final task, and the fourth night and part of the fifth to complete it. After that, take a break from the campaigns for the weekend and chill. 

If (like me) you were doing this with the Edinburgh, then:

1) By the end of Day 1, you would have researched the B hull (28,000 XP).

2) By the end of Day 2, you would also have researched the B fire control system (15,000 XP), assuming you didn't do that first.

3) By the end of the Mission (including the final task), you would have ground out 130,000 of the 173,000 it takes to unlock the T9 Neptune.

In further posts on the topic, I will cover both Mission 2 for this campaign and also how it interacts (and where it doesn't) with the Honorable Service campaign to win the T6 premium IJN destroyer Shinonome.

I will not be covering the Halsey campaign in any great depth for some time, as it has specific differences from the other two and I am nowhere near as advanced in it, therefore cannot give the benefit of my experience. In addition, running three campaigns at once, 24-7-365, requires the use of premium time, which some people can't afford and which the youngest WOWS players might not be allowed to pay for.

(Mods - @Femennenly @Umbaretz or any other - could this thread please be shifted to the "Game Guides and Tutorials" section?)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
14,479 posts
25,669 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I will not be covering the Halsey campaign in any great depth for some time, as it has specific differences from the other two and I am nowhere near as advanced in it, therefore cannot give the benefit of my experience.

Ran it completely in Co-op with Co-op only mission repeats, less a few accidental Randoms and Ranks. Took somewhere around 1,600 games to complete. (It may have been fewer, maybe hundreds fewer, but I had to guesstimate because of forgetting to keep an accurate starting count.)

I'd still say a 1,000+ games, unless someone is Ace Ventura, Co-op Unicum.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,670 posts
14,760 battles
18 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I'd still say a 1,000+ games, unless someone is Ace Ventura, Co-op Unicum.

I don't think even @AdmiralThunder did it in under a thousand.

The ability to run it in co-op only is one of the main reasons she's a very different beast to be covered separately.

[PVE]
Members
12,113 posts
24,977 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't think even @AdmiralThunder did it in under a thousand.

The ability to run it in co-op only is one of the main reasons she's a very different beast to be covered separately.

It took me 17 days and 392 games for Halsey repeating the credit and Capt XP tasks.

TVD7mrO.jpg

[RLGN]
Members
14,479 posts
25,669 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It took me 17 days and 392 games for Halsey repeating the credit and Capt XP tasks.

TVD7mrO.jpg

Did you make that? Or is it something that can actually be pulled up?

[SIMP]
Members
1,541 posts

The Yamamoto Campaign was the first one out the door.

Smartly, subsequent campaigns have included co-op play. 

It's high time Yamamoto was 'fixed' to include co-op play as well.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,670 posts
14,760 battles
1 hour ago, capncrunch21 said:

The Yamamoto Campaign was the first one out the door.

Smartly, subsequent campaigns have included co-op play. 

It's high time Yamamoto was 'fixed' to include co-op play as well.

That may be the case, but while I would support such a push it's not what I'm trying to discuss here.

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles

I did both in randoms. They took a little while but I never thought them difficult.

Edited by _Caliph_

[WOLF9]
Members
737 posts
19,586 battles

As a Co op player, Im having a heck of a time on the third step of the Yamamoto campaign.  Taking a break from that while I deal with snowflake preparation.

[PMWC1]
Members
178 posts
5,695 battles

I had no idea you could repeat tasks to earn stars.

I just got Amalfi and have been working on modules and citadels.

Time to reload the XP task.

Edited by DM31

[ARGSY]
Members
20,670 posts
14,760 battles
6 minutes ago, DM31 said:

I had no idea you could repeat tasks to earn stars.

That's why I've started making these guides.

Module breakages are actually a fairly reliable thing to happen across multiple battles, and I would potentially leave that one live if you are well advanced. If you're not too far into the citadel task and are prepared to cut your losses, the XP one is quite probably a better bet.