Sign in to follow this  
thegreenbaron

Nelson: wrong weapons?

7 comments in this topic

[KERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,265 posts
6,580 battles

I have to ask this as I was perusing a history of the Nelson and Rodney tonight, and, well.... both had Torps.  Specifically the 24.5" Mark I torpedo which was the inspiration for the Japanese Long Lance.

In fact, Rodney hit Bismark with one of it's torpedoes.   So.... where are they?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles
15 minutes ago, thegreenbaron said:

I have to ask this as I was perusing a history of the Nelson and Rodney tonight, and, well.... both had Torps.  Specifically the 24.5" Mark I torpedo which was the inspiration for the Japanese Long Lance.

In fact, Rodney hit Bismark with one of it's torpedoes.   So.... where are they?

d28283c784ee96d51d70d60f6b7a2ef37a4ce6da

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,469 posts
11,941 battles
1 hour ago, thegreenbaron said:

In game, fixed tubes would require you to aim the whole ship, and turn flat broadside to use them. Not a good idea when angling is the order of the day. Mutsu's really limited arc tubes are nearly useless, and Nelson's would be even worse, being that they are single tubes.

In real life, fixed, below water torpedo tubes are actually pretty dangerous, as torpedoes fired sideways at 20+ knots out of a tube have a habit of doing weird and damaging things to themselves. Not running, Running Circular, and several other things that a windup toy of doom might do under the influence of good old Murphy.

[-FOX-]
Beta Testers
73 posts
3,115 battles
2 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

WG doesn't model in fixed tube/submerged torpedoes at this time. Perhaps they'll revisit the tubes on ships after subs go live, whatever decade that happens.

Yea, just look at the Mutsu see, no.... fixed.... Torps....  Oh shoot

Members
9,027 posts
10,181 battles
2 hours ago, monoace said:

Yea, just look at the Mutsu see, no.... fixed.... Torps....  Oh shoot

The torps on Mutsu as she is in game aren't fixed. Otherwise, she'd have no torp firing arcs, because. you know, fixed tubes. So, yes, please do go look at Mutsu, or maybe even play her, because anyone who has played her knows her tubes aren't fixed.

• Angry 1

[KERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,265 posts
6,580 battles

You guys do understand that (A) Nelson's tubes faced forward, and B), were not actually fixed.  They had a +/- of about ten degrees, which is marginally better than Mutsu's.

I just figured that it was because WG gives no [edited] about History (other than Soviet) at all.  It took months of harassing them before they fixed the description of Hosho, so...

We'll see when Subs come around if they do something with Submerged torp launchers. 

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this