You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
buzz_bomb

Getting back to CVs

4 comments in this topic

[TF16]
Members
64 posts
4,828 battles

I haven't really played WOWS for the past 6 months or so and I've just played other ships in the past week. I've played a little bit after the CV rework and some in the training room. Nowadays when a squadron is low on health is there any advantage to pulling them out and bringing them back to the CV or should I go until they are dead? I know CVs have unlimited planes but is it still true the more you lose the longer they take to reload? It looks like dropping fighters now no longer takes planes from your attack squadron. Is there anything else I should know or anything about using the Lexington I should know?

Are the Tiny Tim attack planes better to use than the regular rockets? 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,075 posts
12,336 battles

Bring them back, it takes a long time to regenerate a lost squadron so every plane that makes it back to the carrier is a plane that doesn't need to be regenerated.

[-TXT-]
Members
240 posts
4,383 battles
2 hours ago, buzz_bomb said:

I haven't really played WOWS for the past 6 months or so and I've just played other ships in the past week. I've played a little bit after the CV rework and some in the training room. Nowadays when a squadron is low on health is there any advantage to pulling them out and bringing them back to the CV or should I go until they are dead? I know CVs have unlimited planes but is it still true the more you lose the longer they take to reload? It looks like dropping fighters now no longer takes planes from your attack squadron. Is there anything else I should know or anything about using the Lexington I should know?

Planes aren't unlimited, so each one your lose counts.  You can regen planes over time, but they average about 1 to 1.5 minutes per plane, so it'll be awhile if you burn all the ones you have every time you fly out.

Tiny Tims have extremely high Pen values (66mm I believe), so they are excellent at hurting whatever they hit.  The issue is hitting things.  You can hit most of them on a bow-in run at a Battleship, some of them on a cruiser, and possibly one or two on a DD per pass.  RNG-dependant.

Edited by Ahskance

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,475 posts
10,368 battles
3 hours ago, buzz_bomb said:

It depends on the situation, sometimes it's better to press the attack - if they are anywhere near AA let alone in it recalling them is pointless because the escape height is so high trying to recall them you'll lose them without doing anything. Others you might as well recall them, like when the flak from Minotaur hits you because it basically has stealth AA  and leaves all your planes that can't heal on yellow/red health bars after you've flown away a bit or planes area bit low after attacking and sinking a ship. It all just depends on scenario and is really kind of a judgement call you learn to make as you go. 

3 hours ago, buzz_bomb said:

Question of target selection. HVAR's are better for hitting DD's and some of the more agile CL. TT is basically a 12 inch BB round with a 14 inch HE explosive (both in game and in reality) - and is about as accurate. So it's really more CA/capital ships that aren't great at dodging, and they will feel the hits. As will any DD or CL unfortunate enough to get clipped by one. Just as HVAR's if you hit points they can pen can also be effective vs CA/BB.