You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CptSaltLife

What Happen to Smolensk

30 comments in this topic

[R-X]
Members
5 posts
6,218 battles

I waited for while to get enough coal get this ship, I got it Sunday and this thing dont do what I have seen it do befor did they nerf the ammao on it?    

• Funny 3

[5D2]
Members
163 posts
5,989 battles

You're averaging 10-15k more dmg per game in Smolensk than your T10 cruiser average. Smol is working as intended for you.

[KSE]
[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,617 posts
15,481 battles
13 minutes ago, CptSaltLife said:

I waited for while to get enough coal get this ship, I got it Sunday and this thing dont do what I have seen it do befor did they nerf the ammao on it?    

Nope, just the reality that as per usual, extremely good players can do great things with a ship.  Early adopters of the Smolensk - regardless of their skill - had a field day while the player base tried to figure out how to counter it.  Now people understand how fragile it and shoot at it in smoke - normally because as you get close to it you can see it in smoke due to the large gun bloom it has in smoke.

Have fun playing a tier 10 that has tier 7 CL health pool while being focused by every ship in an attempt to snuff you out early.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
5,982 posts
13,803 battles

That crushing realization when a person finally gets that OMG OP ship and expects to wreck everything with it, only to find even "OP" ships are NOT insta-win.

Feels bad, man.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[TOG]
Members
4,057 posts
21,706 battles
37 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Nope, just the reality that as per usual, extremely good players can do great things with a ship.  Early adopters of the Smolensk - regardless of their skill - had a field day while the player base tried to figure out how to counter it.  Now people understand how fragile it and shoot at it in smoke - normally because as you get close to it you can see it in smoke due to the large gun bloom it has in smoke.

Have fun playing a tier 10 that has tier 7 CL health pool while being focused by every ship in an attempt to snuff you out early.

Don't even have to do that. Torp the small smoke blob. 

26 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

That crushing realization when a person finally gets that OMG OP ship and expects to wreck everything with it, only to find even "OP" ships are NOT insta-win.

Feels bad, man.

A ship is only as good as the skill of the player using it. 

[TBW]
Members
9,272 posts
16,150 battles
2 hours ago, CptSaltLife said:

It's really fun and performs quite well, generally I'm first place on the team every time. I have only used it in Co op though.

• Funny 1

[5D2]
Members
163 posts
5,989 battles
13 minutes ago, CptSaltLife said:

Seems hard to get fires going with it for some reason, I dont maybe just me.  I am not a very good player but I try...

The fires can be troll-y. One game you'll somehow only set 9 which 6 of were insta-dc'd, the next you'll set 40 and have 150k fire dmg. Make sure you're running the full 11% fire build and you should be fine.

Members
2,545 posts
14,054 battles
10 minutes ago, CptSaltLife said:

Seems hard to get fires going with it for some reason, I dont maybe just me.  I am not a very good player but I try...

I've had battles landing 600 +  shots and 3 fires. So many people attacked me when I once posted that Smolensk is not OP like others stated. At long range the accuracy is insanely bad. You get deleted by one Bb volley or just one torpedo hitting you in smoke.

I actually found that I do much better on the move, stopping to smoke and fire and then moving again.  

[TOG]
Members
4,057 posts
21,706 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I've had battles landing 600 +  shots and 3 fires. So many people attacked me when I once posted that Smolensk is not OP like others stated. At long range the accuracy is insanely bad. You get deleted by one Bb volley or just one torpedo hitting you in smoke.

I actually found that I do much better on the move, stopping to smoke and fire and then moving again.  

I found out that setting the dynamic range finder at the 2-3rd setting makes for more accurate salvos >15 km. Under 10 km? Just hold the lmb. 

[VW]
Members
357 posts

Smolensk greatest weakness is that it relies on team play (e.g. spotting and BB support) to be effective.  Good luck with that.  Team play is total garbage in this game.

• Cool 2

[TXGUN]
Members
200 posts
14,082 battles

Once the BB's and heavy cruisers figured out how to hit the Smolensk at range things became significantly more difficult to run amok with one.  The ship is small, maneuverable and has smoke.  Was just a matter of time and practice before it became a hittable target. It did accomplish its ultimate mission.  It prevents BB's from safely camping at range, stationary and sniping.  If they don't move they burn.  If they do move they don't burn quite as much.

[TURDS]
Members
172 posts
On 12/30/2019 at 1:56 PM, nhf said:

Smolensk greatest weakness is that it relies on team play (e.g. spotting and BB support) to be effective.  Good luck with that.  Team play is total garbage in this game.

Yep. and god forbid you actually call your POTATO teams out for it.....then YOU get WG silenced in chat for a week. 

• Cool 1

[-TXT-]
Members
120 posts
6,287 battles

The Smolensk is just a Tier X Kutuzov with greater DMP imo, and the Kutuzov is a great ship.  The fact that hydro is available to the ship means, you should very rarely eat torps while smoke camping.  Additionally while blind fire can wreck you, if you sit broadside and move in the smoke BB AP should over penetrate the citadel if it hits you, which is why I exclusively fire HE at the thing in my BB's, which can arm in the citadel.  They get focused fired so damn hard because they are such a threat with the amount of raw DPM.  

[O_O]
Members
5,982 posts
13,803 battles
On 1/4/2020 at 8:25 AM, wiztaxi said:

Yep. and god forbid you actually call your POTATO teams out for it.....then YOU get WG silenced in chat for a week. 

I have this odd feeling that you didn't just say "team is POTATO" if you got a chat ban.

If you are going to tell a cool story, tell the whole story.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
23,720 posts
21,154 battles
On 1/4/2020 at 6:25 AM, wiztaxi said:

Before one starts calling their team a bunch of potatoes, one better not be a potato to begin with, one not be one of the causes for a bad performance.

[TOG]
Members
4,057 posts
21,706 battles

Well, people had heard that the ship is OP and they wanted to be part of the action. 3 times I've seen  Smols got insta deleted  in the first 6 min because the players did not know the limitations of the ship this weekend.  *Shrug*.

So.. balans comrade. an OP ship does not mean "I Win" button. The ones who bought the ship are going to be dissapointed. Any misplay will be punished severely.shot-20_01.12_18_53.28-0159.thumb.jpg.87a6860afa41e1a774cf337d7e97a9a5.jpg

I'll get 20 fires eventually.

Edit: Forgot I already did.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

[TURDS]
Members
172 posts
On 1/11/2020 at 6:37 AM, desmo_2 said:

I have this odd feeling that you didn't just say "team is POTATO" if you got a chat ban.

If you are going to tell a cool story, tell the whole story.

That was it. Just potato....guess when enough complain....

[TURDS]
Members
172 posts
On 1/11/2020 at 11:34 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Before one starts calling their team a bunch of potatoes, one better not be a potato to begin with, one not be one of the causes for a bad performance.

and that comment is insightful how?

[O_O]
Members
5,982 posts
13,803 battles
1 hour ago, wiztaxi said:

That was it. Just potato....guess when enough complain....

OK, then.  You could have been the victim of a childish division.  I don't think it happens very often, but I have heard enough stories to know it does happen.

Members
185 posts
3,359 battles

I have enough Coal for it, but I refuse to get it. There's no reason to reward Wargaming for putting such a stupid, broken ship into the game. Shoot AP at it, you just get never ending overpens.  Shoot HE at it, you're toast because it'll out DPS you.  Ships like this one are ruining the game and only make me want to play less.

[NG-NL]
Members
147 posts
7,954 battles
1 hour ago, WidochMeirker said:

I refuse to get it....Ships like this one are ruining the game

That's a good reason to not buy the ship. I encourage you to watch videos of people as they play Smolensk, because you'll see it can be defeated much as any light cruiser can.

For example, they're quite vulnerable to DDs. Small-gun AP against Smolensk broadside will take out citadels, and very quickly. Smolensk is also not very maneuverable, so a torpedo is a serious threat while camping in smoke.

[CVA16]
Members
4,440 posts
13,793 battles
On 1/28/2020 at 6:34 AM, imaginary_b said:

For example, they're quite vulnerable to DDs. Small-gun AP against Smolensk broadside will take out citadels, and very quickly.

Of course this is a double edged sword. If that DD is spotted by the Smolensk, which one is going to sink faster?