You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HallaSnackbar

Suggested changes to spotting and AA between CV aircraft and surface ships.

5 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
507 posts
5,947 battles

This is a hotly contested topic and many suggestions have been made, maybe this has been suggested previously but I have not seen it before.  First off this is coming from the perspective of someone who regularly plays all ship types, I really don't consider myself a "main" of any one type.  My average wr is around 55% and my three highest are between 62% and 79%, those three ships being a dd, cv and bb (respectively).  Here goes;

CV planes should only be able to spot surface ships for the CV, for everyone else they should see the enemy ships location on the minimap but that's it (similar to cyclone spotting).  I feel this way for a few reasons the two primary ones being;

1)  From the CV perspective spotting is just plain boring however in many situations it is tactically more important that actually attacking ships.   I'd rather be freed up to go kill stuff, even if it lessens my overall impact on the game.  

2)  From the surface ship perspective (primarily DD) spotting is far more annoying than being attacked.   Skill and proper play can allow me to mitigate a CV's attack, very little allows me to mitigate constant spotting done by a CV that gives up on actually attacking me and just keeps me spotted while his team kills me.  I think making this change would reduce a great amount of angst from DD'S. 

Next up is AA interaction between ships and planes.  A couple changes here and I'm sure this is gonna twist some britches but so what, I think it needs to be said.

1) A ship's AA should not be able to shoot a CV's planes based on another ship spotting them.  (Ship spotting planes should also follow the cyclone spotting mechanics).  If you are in smoke and planes cant spot you, your AA should not be able to accurately shoot at them.  If planes cant spot you for other ships, the same should go for other ships spotting planes for you to shoot at.

2) turning AA on and off to ambush planes.  AA is a defense and deterrent to protect yourself and those near you, it is also good for area denial.  Those who sail around in ships with low surface detection and high AA range with AA off then once planes are in range and unable to escape they turn AA on, hit def AA, sector etc and nuke all planes are exploiting a system designed to allow them to go undetected in my opinion.   Either you get to he an AA beast that the CV knows to avoid or you are a stealthy little ship doing what stealthy little ships do.  Switching between the two should come with a penalty of sorts.   Say the same CD associated with your sectorizing your AA.  From the time you turn your AA on, there should be a delay before you can sector it or hit def aa.

Like I said, that one is probably going to piss off a few people but its about give and take and I would be willing to bet they would be willing to give that up to get the changes mentioned above to spotting.   All in all I think all the above mentioned would be better for the game as a whole.   What are your thoughts?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
11,614 posts

They are already testing the CV spotting for only itself for clan battles atm. It will be interesting to see the results both pros and cons and how players adapt.

[-BRS-]
Members
3,412 posts
17,508 battles

I do hope to see this go live it is under testing it's been one of my main complaints from the very beginning 

If they could do this and limit them to one per game it would go a long ways for many people 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,075 posts
12,336 battles
24 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

This is a hotly contested topic and many suggestions have been made, maybe this has been suggested previously but I have not seen it before.  First off this is coming from the perspective of someone who regularly plays all ship types, I really don't consider myself a "main" of any one type.  My average wr is around 55% and my three highest are between 62% and 79%, those three ships being a dd, cv and bb (respectively).  Here goes;

CV planes should only be able to spot surface ships for the CV, for everyone else they should see the enemy ships location on the minimap but that's it (similar to cyclone spotting).  I feel this way for a few reasons the two primary ones being;

1)  From the CV perspective spotting is just plain boring however in many situations it is tactically more important that actually attacking ships.   I'd rather be freed up to go kill stuff, even if it lessens my overall impact on the game.  

2)  From the surface ship perspective (primarily DD) spotting is far more annoying than being attacked.   Skill and proper play can allow me to mitigate a CV's attack, very little allows me to mitigate constant spotting done by a CV that gives up on actually attacking me and just keeps me spotted while his team kills me.  I think making this change would reduce a great amount of angst from DD'S. 

Next up is AA interaction between ships and planes.  A couple changes here and I'm sure this is gonna twist some britches but so what, I think it needs to be said.

1) A ship's AA should not be able to shoot a CV's planes based on another ship spotting them.  (Ship spotting planes should also follow the cyclone spotting mechanics).  If you are in smoke and planes cant spot you, your AA should not be able to accurately shoot at them.  If planes cant spot you for other ships, the same should go for other ships spotting planes for you to shoot at.

2) turning AA on and off to ambush planes.  AA is a defense and deterrent to protect yourself and those near you, it is also good for area denial.  Those who sail around in ships with low surface detection and high AA range with AA off then once planes are in range and unable to escape they turn AA on, hit def AA, sector etc and nuke all planes are exploiting a system designed to allow them to go undetected in my opinion.   Either you get to he an AA beast that the CV knows to avoid or you are a stealthy little ship doing what stealthy little ships do.  Switching between the two should come with a penalty of sorts.   Say the same CD associated with your sectorizing your AA.  From the time you turn your AA on, there should be a delay before you can sector it or hit def aa.

Like I said, that one is probably going to piss off a few people but its about give and take and I would be willing to bet they would be willing to give that up to get the changes mentioned above to spotting.   All in all I think all the above mentioned would be better for the game as a whole.   What are your thoughts?

Plus one for actually having well thought out ideas instead of simply wanting to nerf CV's even farther.

On the first part and just because I think it is well thought out it doesn't mean I agree. If there is a CV in the match DD's cannot try to be a spotter in the initial stages, the CV is the spotter.
The only ships that CV's can keep spotted without entering the AA umbrella are BB's and some cruisers so the constant complaint from the DD crowd is a lie.
Because of this CV's need to be able to spot.

On the second I really like this and it isn't just the super stealthy ships although they have the problem of being invisible until you are within their AA, there are ships with a short enough detection range like a stealth specced Des Moines that by the time the ship renders you are well within their AA. I like the cool down, well warm up for AA when being turned on, five seconds might be about right. I would also increase AA on detection to AA range plus 2 Km or maybe more to account for the rendering delay forcing all ships with short detection ranges to make the same AA on and they will want to stay away, AA off and their will be a firing delay when I turn it on decision you describe.

[POP]
Members
507 posts
5,947 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The only ships that CV's can keep spotted without entering the AA umbrella are BB's and some cruisers so the constant complaint from the DD crowd is a lie.
Because of this CV's need to be able to spot.

The only reason I would tend to disagree with this is while playing a CV I have had lower AA rated DD'S that are rather nimble survive my rocket attacks.  Knowing they are too small and maneuverable to hit with bombs or torpedoes I just drop a fighter over them to keep them spotted while i return with either bombers or torpedoe planes that I use to keep them spotted until my teammates kill them.  

While yes, that scenario is partly their fault for not retreating to AA cover I see an imbalance in my ability to keep pressure on them following their successful avoidance of incoming damage from me.