You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HallaSnackbar

CV dive bomber dispersion and the bomb reticle

11 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
507 posts
5,947 battles

It seems to me based on the CV's I have (all american 2-10, Japanese 2-10 and RN 2-8) that the only place in the dive bomb reticle your bombs are guaranteed not to land is on the crosshairs.   The crosshairs would lead you to believe that if you get lucky on dispersion and sigma they would all land on the crosshairs and as dispersion worsened the bombs would move outward away from it.  In practice however it feels more like the center point of the bombs is split 50/50 between the two halves of the oval shaped reticle.   

I understand why this is, so a ship properly maneuvering can avoid most of your bombs however the crosshairs give a false sense of where the bombs should land.  If the bomb dispersion is in fact split up or however the dispersion is arranged, the crosshairs should indicate the center point from which the bombs disperse from.

Side note, the issue is much less with the carpet bombers of the RN and is most glaring with the large reticle and few bombs of the Saipan. 

Edited by HallaSnackbar
Edited title
  • Cool 3

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,201 posts
11,379 battles
15 minutes ago, HallaSnackbar said:

It seems to me based on the CV's I have (all american 2-10, Japanese 2-10 and RN 2-8) that the only place in the dive bomb reticle your bombs are guaranteed not to land is on the crosshairs.   The crosshairs would lead you to believe that if you get lucky on dispersion and sigma they would all land on the crosshairs and as dispersion worsened the bombs would move outward away from it.  In practice however it feels more like the center point of the bombs is split 50/50 between the two halves of the oval shaped reticle.   

I understand why this is, so a ship properly maneuvering can avoid most of your bombs however the crosshairs give a false sense of where the bombs should land.  If the bomb dispersion is in fact split up or however the dispersion is arranged, the crosshairs should indicate the center point from which the bombs disperse from.

Side note, the issue is much less with the carpet bombers of the RN and is most glaring with the large reticle and few bombs of the Saipan. 

A number of patches back there was a nerf to dive bombers, bombs were made to tend toward the edges of the aiming ellipse to increase the survivability of destroyers. It also means you won't hit lower tier cruisers either.

So, if it seems that the bombs are actively trying to miss the target, you're not far off, they've been given a sigma of .2 or something.

[POP]
Members
507 posts
5,947 battles
43 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

A number of patches back there was a nerf to dive bombers, bombs were made to tend toward the edges of the aiming ellipse to increase the survivability of destroyers. It also means you won't hit lower tier cruisers either.

So, if it seems that the bombs are actively trying to miss the target, you're not far off, they've been given a sigma of .2 or something.

Yes I am aware of this and it's not just small cruisers and dd's that you will miss.  The Saipan's bombs  will  straddle a GK if you are perpendicular and cross hairs are dead center.

Edited by HallaSnackbar

[POP]
Members
507 posts
5,947 battles
9 minutes ago, Dr_Citadel said:

So then you would be better off not trying to hard to aim... That to me is a problem.

Not trying to hard aim, I lead appropriately.   I also now know where the bombs tend to fall.  My request is more so for newer players.  If they are giving you a crosshair it should be at the center point of your dispersion.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,818 posts
18,407 battles
21 minutes ago, Dr_Citadel said:

So then you would be better off not trying to hard to aim... That to me is a problem.

Not a problem for me. I don't even bother with the DBs. I do what I can with rockets, torps and the level bombers. The DB reticle always disappears to the rear so why even bother I'd be better off just crashing into the ships.

[LOIN]
Alpha Tester
601 posts
4,340 battles
3 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Not a problem for me. I don't even bother with the DBs. I do what I can with rockets, torps and the level bombers. The DB reticle always disappears to the rear so why even bother I'd be better off just crashing into the ships.

The only problem is torpedos tend to be evaded most of the time by cruisers. So, I just use dive bombers and fighters against cruisers. Use torpedo bombers only against battleships. But dive bombers they, most of time, miss

1 hour ago, HallaSnackbar said:

I agree l. The dive bombers currently are very inaccurate to the point where most of the time they miss. Fighters armed with rockets are sometimes hard to use, because you generally won't spot a DD until you're right on top of them then you have fly out, by then the DD is no longer spotted.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
22,075 posts
12,336 battles
1 hour ago, Dr_Citadel said:

Watch a replay of a top CV player dropping bombs, they put the edge of the ellipse on the far edge of the target.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
2,871 posts
11,114 battles
2 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

the only place in the dive bomb reticle your bombs are guaranteed not to land is on the crosshairs

Yep been putting DD's on either side of direct Center and the edge since that DB aiming nerf. Get more hits that way. Even on cruisers. The only time to put cross hairs while DB'ing from USN CV's is a cruiser, BB, or CV length ways. it helps if they are sitting still too.

[TRIST]
Members
326 posts
1,936 battles

I think awhile back they nerfed the DBs to have a tendency to go to the edges. 

[-TXT-]
Members
240 posts
4,383 battles

The outer ring is considered the "center", so you will often see bombs from the right-side plane flung sideways to left on the left edge of the reticle.  It is rather obnoxious.

You can counter this by either:

A) Dropping from a very high point to force the dropped bomb to take a nearly straight line down to the reticle far below.  This is often used for AP bombs as the angle of drop is important for penetration.

B) Accelerating hard throughout the bombing run animation.  This will cause your planes to dive deeper, bring them closer to the water and the deck of the ship.  HE bombs will still be dropped near sideways, but the line more often strikes the deck rather than zipping slightly past it.  Can work on AP bombs as well on lower tiers, but hard countered if the enemy turns.

C) Rather the fully zooming your reticle in... you can leave it partially dispersed.  Sounds crazy, but the dispersion has the effect of pushing your bombs off target... toward the center of the reticle (since the edge is the "target").  This is highly effective with Tiny Tims, causing a more tightened shot when done correctly.  Imagine playing Undertale and trying to strike at the middle of the swing... only it's the middle of the aiming/dispersion process.