Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sasquatch_research

Is Irian worth buying

8 comments in this topic

[THREE]
Members
2,402 posts
13,197 battles

Hey

I already have the Kutuzov; so is Irian worth getting?  I like the torps she gets but it's a big, sometimes sluggish ship for kitting, and is fragile.  I'm debating about the French Bayard as well.  How did you setup your Irian and what capt skill are you running?  I have a 10pt captain and can buff if needed to get IFHE.

Pete

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles
1 hour ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I already have the Kutuzov; so is Irian worth getting?  I like the torps she gets but it's a big, sometimes sluggish ship for kitting, and is fragile.  I'm debating about the French Bayard as well.  How did you setup your Irian and what capt skill are you running?  I have a 10pt captain and can buff if needed to get IFHE.

Pete

Both are good ships and are worth having in your line up. Captain skills really depend on your play style. Some skills are obvious though.

[SYN]
Members
3,685 posts
22,460 battles

It's a good cruiser but it is a standalone ship and captain skills do not readily transfer over to DDs (the only tech tree ships currently on offer).

Bayard is a good damage farmer and you have greater options for capt skills with more tech tree ships.

Members
4,314 posts
4,588 battles

Irian is alright. With the unique captain the fire starting potential is great, but without smoke you'll be more comfortable playing from usual French/Russian ranges. Due to the likelihood of losing half your health in one hit. The torp angles are great broadside and they get a lot of distance. But unlike an IJN cruiser Irian can't drop torps easily while running away due to the sluggish nature. Good for Atago style stealth torping though. A really well armed ship, but is easily punished for mistakes.

As far as I remember, its recommended not to get IFHE if you're going to get Demolition Expert and get Concealment Expert instead. But that's up to you. The AA is decent as of right now, but I can't say if it's a good idea to invest further into it.   

Members
91 posts
18,276 battles

I play the Irian a lot of late. It is a different beast from the Kutuzov which I also play. I do prefer the Irian over the Kutuzov though. The torpedoes are why mostly. To use Kutuzov's the enemy ship will need to be almost half the distance from you than when using the Irian torpedoes. I can stay pretty much at range from my target and still hit him with my torpedoes. Both ships suffer from BB AP salvo deletion in a single shot. It is a light cruiser after all.

My Capt spec:

1. Preventive maintenance

2.Turret traverse

3. Adrenaline rush

4. Demo expert (+3% fire chance with special captain)

5. HP buff (+400 hps per tier with special captain)

6. IFHE (gives 32mm pen to HE) 4k-5k salvos on BBs and 6k-7k salvos on cruisers from range reliably 

7. Concealment

I try to stay at 15km-16km from my targets. Only ships that give me problems are super cruisers or the Jean Bart/Republic. Not that i can't burn them down its just they will cut me in half before i can. But every ship has a counter and those are for the Irian pretty much from my experience. That or my own stupidity which is usually the more prevalent.

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,451 battles
On 11/17/2019 at 11:55 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

Pete

Irian is a great ship.  The torps are very usable given their long range, decent speed, stealthy, and they hit pretty hard.  Stay at range, kite, drop torps whenever you can.  I use the special Pan-Asian captain Da Rong.  I have a 19pt build:

1. PT

2. EM and AR

3. SE and DE - both of these are buffed skills for Da Rong

4. IFHE and CE

If I was using a standard captain instead of Da Rong I'd probably trade SE for PM and JoAT.

• Cool 2

Members
377 posts
13,768 battles

This ship has been an absolute stud for me. I recently ground out the Pan Asian Fleet Elite badge using ONLY the Irian. I did it well under 300 matches. That means even with all the heavy up tiers T8 see I was in the top 3 in at least 33% of the matches I played. But it was even more than that as I lost several matches where I was top 3 but losses didn't count! It had to be closer to 40%. I was hoping the Wukong would be a good addition, but it has been a garbage scow compared to the Irian. I have no explanation as to why I kick [edited]in this ship, I just do. Here is a match I played just fooling about to wind down the night...

shot-20.03.01_21.18.25-0627.jpg

shot-20.03.01_21.26.00-0069.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
111 posts
7,876 battles

Loving my Irian as well. It's just a lot of fun with those hard hitting, low concealment torps. I got one those captains that has DE bonus for fires. Can't stop playing it!

Sign in to follow this