Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
sasquatch_research

Is Bayard worth getting

12 comments in this topic

[THREE]
Members
2,392 posts
13,128 battles

Hey

I have been debating between the Irian (I already have Kutuzov) and the Bayard.   How do you have your ship setup and what capt. skills are you running?  I have a 10pt. captain laying around.  I do have DeGrasse and have played the French Cruiser line to T10, so does Bayard bring anything different?

Pete

• Cool 1

[THREE]
Members
2,392 posts
13,128 battles
On 11/17/2019 at 9:52 PM, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

I have been debating between the Irian (I already have Kutuzov) and the Bayard.   How do you have your ship setup and what capt. skills are you running?  I have a 10pt. captain laying around.  I do have DeGrasse and have played the French Cruiser line to T10, so does Bayard bring anything different?

Pete

Hey

I wound up getting the Bayard and it's ok.  Seems a bit light in the damage department but I only have a couple games, they were around 45K damage, middle of the pack, up-tiered of course.  Needs to have LS IMHO as I have gotten my steering shot out a few times.  Too bad they didn't give it 25mm hull plating instead of the 16mm it has, it is a cruiser after all.  But it's fun and fast.  Torps are kind of worthless unless you get an ambush but I wouldn't count on them.

Pete

[BNKR]
Members
155 posts
3,944 battles

Hi guys, quick Q.

I just won Bayard in a Santa crate. I checked the wiki, and assumed as a fast-firing 152mm CL, that she would desire (if not require) IFHE in order to remain competitive at tier 9 and 10. The wiki doesn't recommend IFHE whatsoever.

Is this just an oversight on the part of the wiki author? Cleveland, Chapayev and Shchors (I have Shchors but not Chappy) both do recommend IFHE, quite highly. Seems odd that it wouldn't be recommended. I assume it is?

The wiki also heavily recommends Expert Marksman but not Adrenaline Rush (*** vs *) which also seems odd. Its traverse rate is already a respectable 15s and the rotational boost is only the 0.7deg/s, a 6% benefit.

Edited by TehParakitteh

Members
3,079 posts
6,590 battles
18 hours ago, TehParakitteh said:

Hi guys, quick Q.

I just won Bayard in a Santa crate. I checked the wiki, and assumed as a fast-firing 152mm CL, that she would desire (if not require) IFHE in order to remain competitive at tier 9 and 10. The wiki doesn't recommend IFHE whatsoever.

Bayard has an anomalous 1/5 HE penetration value instead of 1/6 HE penetration, so IFHE is basically build into the ship. It's unclear if that was a bug or intended, but it hasn't been changed since her release.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[BNKR]
Members
155 posts
3,944 battles
3 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Bayard has an anomalous 1/5 HE penetration value instead of 1/6 HE penetration, so IFHE is basically build into the ship. It's unclear if that was a bug or intended, but it hasn't been changed since her release.

Huh, fun.

So do you have any particular recommendations? I've put in my 15-point Honore captain, of Charles Martel fame, into her. CE, DE, EM, AR and BoS.

I get that Basics of Survivability isn't a brilliant skill, but it's handy.

Members
3,079 posts
6,590 battles
29 minutes ago, TehParakitteh said:

Huh, fun.

So do you have any particular recommendations? I've put in my 15-point Honore captain, of Charles Martel fame, into her. CE, DE, EM, AR and BoS.

I get that Basics of Survivability isn't a brilliant skill, but it's handy.

I actually don't really have a dedicated Bayard captain and don't take her out of port super often, so mostly I use her to train my French cruiser line, which I am not hugely dedicated to grinding but have at Charles Martel right now.

[GC]
Alpha Tester
821 posts
3,958 battles
On 12/16/2019 at 9:11 AM, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

It's unclear if that was a bug or intended

It's intended. Bayard is something of a stealth testbed for upcoming IFHE rework.

--Helms

[WOLF3]
Members
26,967 posts
23,767 battles

Is it worth it for Bayard to take IFHE?  I think it is.  She's a Tier VIII ship and she should be ready to face high tier competition.  Not having it means relying too much on Fires (which can be healed back very efficiently) as you suffer a lot of Non-Pens without IFHE against the tougher armor you see in High Tiers.

Her default HE Pen is more than enough to Pen the armor of CLs, a number of CAs, and Tier VII and lower Battleships.  However, Battleships in high tiers ramp up their armor and without IFHE, Bayard can't HE Pen their deck, bow armor, etc. of even the thinnest 32mm armor sections of RN & FR BBs.  With IFHE, Bayard can.  She will also be able to HE Pen the 37mm or 38mm deck armor of High Tier USN BBs, which people often forget exist as a weird in-between deck armor value between the super soft FR / RN BB 32mm decks, and the thick German ones (50mm).

But here's a convenient truth for Bayard users... If you have Henri IV, a bunch of the guys by default use IFHE on Henri, so you can freely swap in your Henri captain on Bayard with no hassle!  Here's my Bayard's gun values with my Henri IV captain.  IFHE & DE are part of the build.

4vu7VqG.jpg

If you have an IFHE FR Captain for Premium De Grasse and / or La Gal in Tier VI, they should work perfectly with Bayard just as well.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[AK-49]
Members
369 posts
7,214 battles

I just got the Bayard a few days ago and I have to say I'm loving this ship much more over my heavier cruisers like the Atago, Prinz Eugen and Charles Martel.

Here guns are just six inch but she's got 12 of them and with a rapid re-load boost consumable, she's able to punish DD's and other light cruisers. Paired with a CA or BB big brother you can douse bigger ships, even of higher tiers, with withering fire starts. The French speed boost helps a lot in getting out of dangerous situations but you need to get all your upgrades installed in her first for her to be really effective. The steering gear mod for the last slot is a must, in my opinion.

I found some rapid shots on a DD can take our its steering and engine and you can finish it off easily with rapid reload. I consider myself a mediocre player that's happy to get at least one ship sunk per match but my Bayard's gotten me multiple ships more frequently in a relatively short time. 

My damage creation/credit earning is noticeably higher for me with this ship per match more than any of my others. That's maybe due to my experience gained from using the Atago and Prinz Eugen but for me the Bayard has been my most rewarding ship to date, premium or otherwise. 

Edited by Aurora_7
  • Cool 1

[-SOR-]
[-SOR-]
Members
109 posts
6,553 battles

Bayard's main hook was the unique 1/5 pen, and now every ship at T8 has that (except German/British ships which have better). I don't think it has much going on to recommend it any more. It's pretty much just a somewhat upgunned/better AA Degrasse moved to T8 without the advantage to pen.

[WAKE]
[WAKE]
Members
324 posts
19,038 battles
On 4/11/2020 at 6:21 AM, Solis_Obscuri said:

Bayard's main hook was the unique 1/5 pen, and now every ship at T8 has that (except German/British ships which have better). I don't think it has much going on to recommend it any more. It's pretty much just a somewhat upgunned/better AA Degrasse moved to T8 without the advantage to pen.

Bayard is in the same boat as the Colbert. Since the IFHE changes that slapped the French into oblivion in 9.3, they have taken a big hit to their DIRECT damage potential. This means that they have to rely much more heavily on Fires which is RNG, or you dump all your fire chance to continue being able to do direct damage with your HE shells. A Trade that is really personal preference than anything else as both methods are still workable. 

Currently the Bayard is still a good flame thrower, its a "Colbert-Lite" when you activate its reload booster. However to make it worth while you really have to keep those guns of hers singing the entire match while dancing in between incoming enemy shells. 

I would say that prior to 9.3, she was a very good ship, and high up on the list to obtain. However since the IFHE nerf, she's been pushed down to a good ship. 

If you like the Degrasse or the La Galissonnière and want a bigger, badder version of it at Tier 8. Then I'd recommend the ship. 

If you get it, try running it with IFHE and without IFHE for 3x games each and then decide if you like the skill or not. I don't run it anymore as I prefer the full fire build so I can harass Battleships, but you may prefer to go after cruisers instead. 

Hope this helps!

[AK-49]
Members
369 posts
7,214 battles

If there's any doubt how good a the Bayard can be with the right captain, here's an example of a game by HiediAngel, the French Cruiser Goddess I now pray too....

1306374618_Screenshot(138).png.9df1e76df

Edited by Aurora_7
spelling

Sign in to follow this