You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Nordlaender

Captain Skill: Direction Center for Fighters

22 comments in this topic

[_HW_]
Members
167 posts
4,817 battles

Can someone tell me if this one point captain skill, which gives you an extra fighter, also gives you an extra fighter for the patrols that you drop around the map area?  The Wiki entry is not clear and does not say whether it does or not, only that squadrons launched from the CV will have one more fighter, but this could just mean the automatic air defense patrol launched around the CV.

Does anyone know for sure if it would add one more fighter to patrols dropped by bomber squadrons around the battle map?

Thanks!

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,836 posts
18,456 battles

It does what it says it does. Adds one more fighter to the group whether they launch from the ship or are released by a bomber group.

[PVE]
Members
3,561 posts
21,684 battles
2 hours ago, Nordlaender said:

Can someone tell me if this one point captain skill, which gives you an extra fighter, also gives you an extra fighter for the patrols that you drop around the map area?  The Wiki entry is not clear and does not say whether it does or not, only that squadrons launched from the CV will have one more fighter, but this could just mean the automatic air defense patrol launched around the CV.

Does anyone know for sure if it would add one more fighter to patrols dropped by bomber squadrons around the battle map?

Thanks!

Not sure as I haven't run the new CVs since the update...but

1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

It does what it says it does. Adds one more fighter to the group whether they launch from the ship or are released by a bomber group.

Are you sure about that? The skill was originally for ships that just have catapult fighters & it definitely applies to those & the automatic CV fighters that just launch from the ship are basically the equivalent of catapult fighters.

The way it is worded sounds like it definitely can go either way depending on the skills definition of "squadron"...whether it is just the "fighter" squadron or "any" squadron is unclear.

Again...I don't know for sure & if you do know for sure MUDD sorry for doubting you but I can definitely understand the OP's confusion based on the wording.

• Cool 1

[_HW_]
Members
167 posts
4,817 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

The way it is worded sounds like it definitely can go either way depending on the skills definition of "squadron"...whether it is just the "fighter" squadron or "any" squadron is unclear.

Thank you. Yes, this is the problem. If it adds a fighter to the patrols, then it might be worth it. The current fighter defense shreds the remaining attacking bombers with ease, so really it’s the extra patrol fighter that interests me. If it does not, then I might choose the engine boost captain skill for my last skill since it stacks (supposedly) with the engine boost module.

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Direction Center for Fighters, works in my experience.

Works how? Do you know for sure that an extra fighter is launched with the squadron patrols?

Usually, they shoot down 3 planes if an enemy squadron passes through them. Does it shoot down 4 or more for you?

Please let me know. Thanks.

[_HW_]
Members
167 posts
4,817 battles
3 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Does it shoot down more than 3 planes in a Co-op game, for example?

[KAPPA]
Members
1,793 posts
6,618 battles
1 hour ago, Nordlaender said:

Does it shoot down more than 3 planes in a Co-op game, for example?

Fighters shoot down planes 1:1. If you deploy 3 sets of fighters, it will shoot down 3 more than otherwise. It's not like the pre-rework skill that deploys an entire second squad of fighters, sadly.

Members
1,012 posts
5,817 battles
13 hours ago, Nordlaender said:

Thank you. Yes, this is the problem. If it adds a fighter to the patrols, then it might be worth it. The current fighter defense shreds the remaining attacking bombers with ease, so really it’s the extra patrol fighter that interests me. If it does not, then I might choose the engine boost captain skill for my last skill since it stacks (supposedly) with the engine boost module.

Works how? Do you know for sure that an extra fighter is launched with the squadron patrols?

Usually, they shoot down 3 planes if an enemy squadron passes through them. Does it shoot down 4 or more for you?

Please let me know. Thanks.

It works for the Fighter Plane CONSUMABLE.

Which can be found on various CA's, CV's and BB's.

It does not provide additional bombers, torpedo planes or rocket-launching planes for CV's.

• Angry 1

Members
1,012 posts
5,817 battles

Skill Name    Direction Center for Fighters
Skill Point Cost    1
Description    More effective fighter squadrons.
Effect    +1 Fighter.
Notes  Applies to both carrier-launched and catapult-launched fighters.
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catapult Fighter
When activated, the Catapult Fighter consumable deploys a group of fighters from the ship's catapult to defend the ship against air attack.

CAP Fighters
CAP Fighters are carrier-based fighters that orbit the ship and attack enemy aircraft that come within range. They are deployed automatically by the carrier in self-defense. There is no premium version.

Patrol Fighters
Patrol Fighters are carrier-based fighters identical to CAP Fighters but with a different mission — to defend a strike squadron.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables

[_HW_]
Members
167 posts
4,817 battles
31 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

It does not provide additional bombers, torpedo planes or rocket-launching planes for CV's.

I never asked this. Please read my posts and the original post more carefully. Do not insult people by changing the subject.

I was always talking about additional patrol fighters only, never about an extra bomber.

Edited by Nordlaender

[_HW_]
Members
167 posts
4,817 battles
12 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Fighters shoot down planes 1:1

That’s what I thought. So, I am assuming an additional fighter on patrol away from the CV would shoot down 4 enemy planes if they flew straight through it. Can anyone confirm this from any battle they have played where they got 4 confirmed kills from a dropped patrol?

Thanks again for any help with this question.

[_HW_]
Members
167 posts
4,817 battles
9 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I hand-fed you the links to the information that you should have been able to get yourself to answer the questions you had as part of your legitimate research for information to help you make your own decisions.

You did not hand feed me anything I had not already read.  Wiki is not always accurate, and is filled with ambiguities.  Why should I take a skill only to find that Wiki meant something else or forgot to exclude patrol planes dropped by bombers?  It is easier for me to ask people who have this skill if it really does launch 4 fighters and shoots down 4 enemy bombers away from the CV.  Since you have this skill, you could do a Co-op battle and drop this patrol right in front of the AI bombers, who always fly right through it and then tell me how many planes were shot down.

Why won't you do this for me?  You said it "works for you", but what does that mean in relation to my specific question?

Do your patrols shoot down 4 planes away from the CV or not?  You should be able to answer this question and I would appreciate it very much.

Edited by Nordlaender

[PVE]
Members
3,561 posts
21,684 battles
12 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

11 hours ago, Nordlaender said:

That’s what I thought. So, I am assuming an additional fighter on patrol away from the CV would shoot down 4 enemy planes if they flew straight through it. Can anyone confirm this from any battle they have played where they got 4 confirmed kills from a dropped patrol?

Thanks again for any help with this question.

You didn't quote the whole thing in your OP...the full line there above answers your question as the planes launched directly from the CV are technically also catapult fighters the "carrier launched fighters" are the fighters launched from carrier launched planes.

12 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Skill Name    Direction Center for Fighters
Skill Point Cost    1
Description    More effective fighter squadrons.
Effect    +1 Fighter.
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catapult Fighter
When activated, the Catapult Fighter consumable deploys a group of fighters from the ship's catapult to defend the ship against air attack.

CAP Fighters
CAP Fighters are carrier-based fighters that orbit the ship and attack enemy aircraft that come within range. They are deployed automatically by the carrier in self-defense. There is no premium version.

Patrol Fighters
Patrol Fighters are carrier-based fighters identical to CAP Fighters but with a different mission — to defend a strike squadron.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables

The problem is that the patrol fighters technically don't "launch" from the carrier...they launch from the bag of holding (also referred to as "extremely large hanger bays") found in the extremely large bomb bays...at least I'm assuming they are extremely large to store all of those fighters in them...of all forms of attack aircraft).

• Cool 1

[_HW_]
Members
167 posts
4,817 battles
22 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

10 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

The problem is that the patrol fighters technically don't "launch" from the carrier...they launch from the bag of holding (also referred to as "extremely large hanger bays") found in the extremely large bomb bays...at least I'm assuming they are extremely large to store all of those fighters in them...of all forms of attack aircraft).

Well, this is the problem again.  I KNOW that the carrier and a ship will launch an extra catapult fighter to defend the ship with this captain skill.  What I don't know FOR SURE is whether the patrol planes that are dropped by bomber squadrons using the T button will ALSO have one extra fighter in that group.

WolfswetPaws assumes that it will from what he has read on Wiki, but it is not really all that clear.  Saying that the patrol fighters are identical to the carrier launched fighters may just mean that they fight and operate the same way.  It does not necessarily mean they will benefit from the Direction Center for Fighters captain skill by gaining an extra fighter.  It is unclear on that.

I wish someone with this skill could drop a patrol in front of an AI bomber squadron in a Co-op game and see how many planes are shot down.  The AI just flies right through the patrol and loses 3 planes.  If it loses 4 planes with this skill, then I KNOW FOR SURE that an extra fighter was added to the patrol also by this captain skill.  It's a simple test.

Can anyone do this test please?  I would give you +rep for doing it.

I wish I had done it back when we could move skills around for free, but I was busy testing other skills on other ships.  I didn't get a chance to test this one.

Thanks.

[PVE]
Members
3,561 posts
21,684 battles
7 hours ago, Nordlaender said:

Well, this is the problem again.  I KNOW that the carrier and a ship will launch an extra catapult fighter to defend the ship with this captain skill.  What I don't know FOR SURE is whether the patrol planes that are dropped by bomber squadrons using the T button will ALSO have one extra fighter in that group.

WolfswetPaws assumes that it will from what he has read on Wiki, but it is not really all that clear.  Saying that the patrol fighters are identical to the carrier launched fighters may just mean that they fight and operate the same way.  It does not necessarily mean they will benefit from the Direction Center for Fighters captain skill by gaining an extra fighter.  It is unclear on that.

I wish someone with this skill could drop a patrol in front of an AI bomber squadron in a Co-op game and see how many planes are shot down.  The AI just flies right through the patrol and loses 3 planes.  If it loses 4 planes with this skill, then I KNOW FOR SURE that an extra fighter was added to the patrol also by this captain skill.  It's a simple test.

Can anyone do this test please?  I would give you +rep for doing it.

I wish I had done it back when we could move skills around for free, but I was busy testing other skills on other ships.  I didn't get a chance to test this one.

Thanks.

It's only a 1 point skill...recruit a 1 point commander (only cost 10k credits I think) for your CV & do a co-op battle & find out for yourself...dismiss him after you have the data to clear up the commander slot if you need to.

Simplest way to find out.

• Cool 1

[_HW_]
Members
167 posts
4,817 battles
13 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

It's only a 1 point skill...recruit a 1 point commander (only cost 10k credits I think) for your CV & do a co-op battle & find out for yourself...dismiss him after you have the data to clear up the commander slot if you need to.

Wow!  I never thought of that!  Thanks so much for coming up with that idea.  It's great!  I will definitely do that.  Thanks so much for that idea!

[PVE]
Members
3,561 posts
21,684 battles
2 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

Wow!  I never thought of that!  Thanks so much for coming up with that idea.  It's great!  I will definitely do that.  Thanks so much for that idea!

NP...give em hell commander :-)

• Cool 1

Members
1,012 posts
5,817 battles
18 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Can't remember off-hand where I read it, but the Rocket-planes, Bomber-planes and Torpedo-planes that deploy a fighter squadron by using the "T" key are (in theory) calling for a fighter squadron consumable to be flown from the CV to the site of deployment designated by the planes that used the "T" key command.
This is why it takes some time for the consumable fighters to show up in the green circle.

This feature is useful to provide fighter cover for friendly ships, too.

Members
1,012 posts
5,817 battles
32 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

All differences aside, now I'm curious to see how your experiment turns out.
Good luck.

• Cool 1

[_HW_]
Members
167 posts
4,817 battles

Well, I just got my answer.  I recruited a one point Japanese captain for just 7,500 credits and chose the Direction Center for Fighters as his only skill.  I then decided to use a training room to better control the environment, thus forcing him to come straight at me.  When I deployed the fighter patrol using the T key, the AI flew through it and lost just 3 planes, same as before.  I looked back and noticed it only had three bars, but my ship's defense fighters had 5 bars.  I even deployed them over his carrier and still only three shot down.

Then I got an idea.  I scrolled over the patrol fighter consumable while I was in flight and it clearly showed that it only had 3 planes.  When I got back to port, I checked the modules and the ship had 5 fighters for its consumable and the patrols only 3.  I then switched back to my regular commander and saw that the ship now had only 4 fighters and the patrols still 3.

I guess I'm disappointed.  What a worthless skill.  The 5 ship planes still only shot down 3 enemy aircraft, so what good are they?  It would be better to have Superintendent.

So, for a few credits, thanks to IfYouSeeKhaos' idea, I found my answer.  I am not surprised that the Wiki editors failed to distinguish between these two consumables, which they claimed were identical. They are just lazy.

So, that leaves Improved Engine Boost and Last Gasp (whatever that is).  I would not be surprised to find out that IEB does not stack with the same ship module, as they claim, but even so it would be better than nothing at all.  Last Gasp is so ambiguous that one has to ask whether actual English speakers are editing the Wiki entries for these modules and captain skills.  Does it mean the last squadron to take off after the carrier is destroyed or does it mean the last attack run of a squadron?  I am guessing the former, but... I should not have to guess.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me answer this question.  I greatly appreciate it.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
3,561 posts
21,684 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Can't remember off-hand where I read it, but the Rocket-planes, Bomber-planes and Torpedo-planes that deploy a fighter squadron by using the "T" key are (in theory) calling for a fighter squadron consumable to be flown from the CV to the site of deployment designated by the planes that used the "T" key command.
This is why it takes some time for the consumable fighters to show up in the green circle.

This feature is useful to provide fighter cover for friendly ships, too.

Has it always been like that (delay for consumable fighters)?

I only played the new CVs on the PT before the rework dropped & remember them deploying as soon as you hit the T key (not saying I remember correctly...which is why I'm clarifying...but it surely didn't seem long enough for the CV to have sent them).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[_HW_]
Members
167 posts
4,817 battles
On 11/19/2019 at 10:23 PM, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Has it always been like that (delay for consumable fighters)?

As it is now, when you push the T key, the planes "deploy" from the carrier to that spot and patrol.  The further away from the CV you are, the more seconds pass before the fighters show up.  

I never got to play a CV before the rework.

• Cool 1