You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hexeris

Using consumables

17 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
807 posts
13,523 battles

I have noticed lately that a couple of minutes into a game (or less sometimes) people are popping hydro, radar, etc. Is it just an accident? Seems to happen a bit too often lately for an accident.

Anyone else see this?

Have seen the odd pre-mature smoke but that is usually followed by an 'oh $%#$^' in chat from the DD player...

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,442 battles
20 minutes ago, hexeris said:

I have noticed lately that a couple of minutes into a game (or less sometimes) people are popping hydro, radar, etc. Is it just an accident? Seems to happen a bit too often lately for an accident.

Anyone else see this?

Have seen the odd pre-mature smoke but that is usually followed by an 'oh $%#$^' in chat from the DD player...

The explanation for this is very simple. It begins with the letter I and ends with the letter T!

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,648 posts
34,935 battles

A few times it is fat fingers. Most of the time it is PEBCAK.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
807 posts
7,176 battles
44 minutes ago, hexeris said:

I have done that before pushing Y for speed boost to get up to speed quicker, and also catching T with my finger. Not often but dislike when I do that. 

Don’t quite understand why some will pop hydro/radar/spotter plane right from the get go? That’s a mystery to me. 

[GOB]
Members
2,060 posts

I've done it on purpose when some silly task makes you use 5 or 6 of them in a single match.  If you are playing COOP you have to hit 3 just as soon as the round starts and HOPE it lasts long enough to do it again.

Or it's just  the occasional FAT-FINGERS

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Less than a minute in is almost always useless. However, preemptive hydro going into a cap can prevent you getting hit by blind torps. Also, sometimes ships like Chapayev can have radar beyond their spotting range. This means when they get spotted, they radar ASAP since a DD is there. Some smokes get dropped a little ways out (10km) so cruisers don't get smoke-spotted when supporting a cap.

Generally depends on whether it's one or five minutes to gauge wastefulness.

[-K-]
Members
3,229 posts
7,820 battles

Using consumables appropriately can sometimes occur at the start of a match.  Driving a boat through torpedo lanes is often a good way to use your hydro.  Dropping smoke to bait torpedos or give cover to cruisers is oftentimes a good idea.  There's lots of reasons to use consumables early other than "Dude must be a moron."  

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles
9 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

My only response is that some people arrive at the battle in a ...

1872533334_h2AE23AF62.jpg.27d63ab573d2a0db12ada2942ce1a9c3.jpg

If it were 4-wheel drive, with better tires, I would SO drive that lol.

• Funny 2

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles

My sin is not tapping ENTER hard enough, and since I have to look at the keyboard to type, I'm sometimes circling left at 1/4 throttle, popping all my consumables, while typing a couple sentences lol.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,127 posts
4,088 battles

Lots of reasons. Still pretty common to see the trail of smoke in spawn, with both teams laughing at the unfortunate fatfingered DD (all in good fun usually). The T for stats gag still works occasionally, which is even more hilarious. Some BBs pop spotter as soon as the first enemy is spotted to get off long range shots. And often hydro is popped as cruisers approach caps. 

However, I think some people hit things just see what to do. Multiple times I've seen radar or hydro popped a couple seconds in. Or activated when the ship is clearly out of range of the nearest possible enemy. That's just people being morons.

Another one is mixing up consumables. The number of times I've activated defensive fire on a cruiser while trying to hit heal...easy to forget what does what in the of the battle. I've mashed every button in that area sometimes in the heat of battle, hard turn, heal, repair, radar, crapdidn't mean radar, dammit there goes DF again, ah, hydro is I on this ship, fudge, torps coming, hard left, not that left, other left, don't lock rudder, crapthat BB is looking at me, why not turning dammit opened chat instead (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) oh, hand was over wrong keys. Yeah, a lot can happen in fast paced situations.

So sometimes there's a good reason, sometimes it's a mistake, and occasionally it's not knowing what they're doing.

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
6,177 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, hexeris said:

Anyone else see this?

Premature esmokulation...hate when that happens (& if you think saying, "it happens to a lot of guys" is supposed to make us feel better...you're wrong).

As for using consumables in a couple of minutes...that's plenty of time to get far enough forward that the use of those consumables is potentially viable...may not be anything in detection range but by a couple of minutes...especially if they are pushing to a cap w/their DD...there's a good chance that there might be something to spot...unless you meant a couple of moments instead of minutes.

Beta Testers
807 posts
13,523 battles
3 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Premature esmokulation...hate when that happens (& if you think saying, "it happens to a lot of guys" is supposed to make us feel better...you're wrong).

As for using consumables in a couple of minutes...that's plenty of time to get far enough forward that the use of those consumables is potentially viable...may not be anything in detection range but by a couple of minutes...especially if they are pushing to a cap w/their DD...there's a good chance that there might be something to spot...unless you meant a couple of moments instead of minutes.

Couple of minutes and it's not DD's using their consumables (I get that) it's BB's or CA/CL's.

[PVE]
Members
6,177 posts
22,432 battles
33 minutes ago, hexeris said:

Couple of minutes and it's not DD's using their consumables (I get that) it's BB's or CA/CL's.

I also was referring to CAs (I wasn't considering BBs as so few have hydro/radar) when I said, "pushing up to a cap w/their DD"...a couple of minutes gives you plenty of time to find a safe place (on most maps anyway) close to a cap to support your DDs w/radar or hydro in most cruisers...of course it's not only map but also situation (is there a CV/red radar & hydro/what red ships have been spotted already & where/etc.) dependent.

Of course that doesn't account for the ones that pop it while hanging back in the boonies (which I'm sure are the ones you were referring to)...which is definitely a head scratcher.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
3 hours ago, hexeris said:

Anyone else see this?

Long ago, if I went into a low or mid tier game, on occasion I'd announce in open match chat (but warn my teammates ahead of time) things like: 

"There's a bunch of good players here trying to seal club people.  You can check the team rosters by hitting the "T" key and see who they are."

Nothing like seeing DDs pop smoke at their spawn point :Smile_trollface:

Someone complains about that.

Everyone else laughs at the idiot.

Easier to succeed with that trick the lower in tiers you go.

• Funny 1