You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dogget

Computer Question for WOWS

48 comments in this topic

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,924 battles

As between the 2 systems below, is one noticeably superior?  Are both sufficient?

1) 2.8 GHz Pentium processor; 4 G ram.

2) 3.4 GHz i5 processor; 8 G memory; 

Obviously, 8G is more than 4.  But as between the processors, is one noticeably better?   Computer 1) has other features I like, but I don't want to be at a systematic disadvantage for WOWS (I bring my own deficiencies).

Thanks geeks, lol.

Update:. Last Question.

I have another computer option.  If I knew what these things meant, I wouldn't be asking:

Intel Core i-7 2600 (4 cores, 8 threads). Gtx 1050ti

16 GB ram (DDR 3) 

500 GB Western Caviar Blue HDD Stock Motherboard

80 PLUS  GOLD Power supply.

Edited by Dogget
Information Update

[CO-OP]
Members
1,496 posts
24,769 battles

2nd one is a superior machine in terms of processor and memory, graphics capabilities are also important.

• Cool 1

[CALM]
Members
28 posts
23,451 battles

4g ram will likely play poorly

8g should play better but not great, especially if it does not have SSD drive & good isp connection

Get SSD drive with 16g ram if you can

• Cool 4

[LOSC]
Members
579 posts

To answer, you can't play with the first as it would be a 32bit os and the game only allows 64 bit.

Windows will use minimum of 3.8 gb on the first system also.

The second will work but will store preload memory on the hard drive because it will not have enough ram,

you really need 16GB if possible.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,130 posts
4,088 battles

You don’t need 16 GB of RAM, I played on 8 with an integrated GPU and it worked fine, medium settings with 30 FPS.

However, the first system probably isn’t going to cut it, the processor probably doesn’t come with a good enough GPU to work, the processor and RAM are bare minimum. The second system is borderline, will really depend on GPU. If it’s integrated, it needs to be 4000 or 5000 graphics. Otherwise probably not going to work.

Something with at least 8GB RAM, a processor made in the last few years, and a decent dedicated GPU or excellent CPU/GPU integrated chip will work. You also need a good amount of storage, I would say at least 500 GB unless the computer is only for WOWS. SSD is nice, but HDD will work fine.

[BB22]
Members
191 posts
31,281 battles
1 hour ago, Halli_SPARTA said:

To answer, you can't play with the first as it would be a 32bit os and the game only allows 64 bit.

Windows will use minimum of 3.8 gb on the first system also.

The second will work but will store preload memory on the hard drive because it will not have enough ram,

you really need 16GB if possible.

Say what??? Nonsense!!!

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,786 battles

The second machine is far superior to the first, both in terms of CPU and RAM memory. Pentium processors are old, and have less cores than the I5 would. There are other things to consider when looking at your system. What type of GPU (graphics card) does it have? If the computer is using on board graphics you are going to have a poor experience regardless of what processor you have. Many people also say that the hard drive is an important factor (SSD vs. HHD). I do understand the merits of their argument, but I have never had any issues playing WOWs seamlessly off of my 3TB external hard drive.

I play with all of the graphic settings at the highest level possible, and achieve between 75-120 frames per second. 

Alienware X51R2

Intel I7 4790 - Overclocked to 3.99G

16G Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

500G internal SSD

3TB external HHD

Asus VG278Q gaming monitor - 144HZ 1MS response 

It sounds like a whale computer, but I got it off Ebay for less than $600 fully upgraded.

Edited by Rgtx1121

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,527 battles
2 hours ago, Dogget said:

As between the 2 systems below, is one noticeably superior?  Are both sufficient?

Obviously, 8G is more than 4.  But as between the processors, is one noticeably better?   Computer 1) has other features I like, but I don't want to be at a systematic disadvantage for WOWS (I bring my own deficiencies).

Thanks geeks, lol.

I'm running WOWs on a Lenovo G50 laptop with the AMD A6 processor.
In situations when the graphics rendering becomes demanding, WOWs may stutter or pause.  (Flying through AA clouds, for example.)
But mostly the internet connection speeds and sync-ing with the WOWs servers seem to limit the ping/lag and frame-rates of the game.

Members
616 posts
81 battles

Thanks geeks, lol.

What is the no. of cores in the Pentium processor??

I5 is dual core which is not ideal if you have many things running on your comp especially an advanced game.

Edited by ___V_E_N_O_M___

Members
969 posts
4,025 battles

Those of you that claim wows needs 16GBs of RAM are full of it. WG's own requirements don't agree with you either.

I run the game on max settings with 8GBs of RAM with the game on an SSD drive and it runs very well.

Minimum

Recommended

Operating System:

Windows 7 x64 sp1

Windows 7 x64 / 8.1 / 10

Processor (CPU):

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz
Intel Core i3 2.5 GHz
AMD Athlon II X2 2.7 GHz

Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz
AMD FX 6350 3.9 GHz

Active Memory (RAM):

2.5 GB

4 GB

Graphics Card (GPU):

NVIDIA GeForce GT 440/GT 630
IntelHD 4000
AMD Radeon HD 7660

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
AMD Radeon R9 270x

Screen Resolution:

1280x720

1920x1080

Audio Card:

Compatible with DirectX 11

Compatible with DirectX 11

Internet Connection:

1 Mbps

1 Mbps or better

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,659 posts

Thanks geeks, lol.

The second is a couple of generations more advanced than the first. With 8 GB RAM you will almost certainly get an 64-bit OS. A Pentium machine with 4 GB RAM will probably have a 32-bit OS. WOWS now requires a 64-bit OS to run.

[CLARE]
Members
572 posts

in case it was not made clear.  the main problem is that game requires 64 bit os.  so.  what os comes with #1?

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
3 hours ago, Dogget said:

Thanks geeks, lol.

Obviously an i5 is better then a Pentium.

Members
31 posts
3,141 battles

Sounds like you want to keep one. IMO i say sell both and do a proper upgrade.
Nothing extreme, what would be your budget?

• Cool 1

[USNR]
Members
297 posts
3,786 battles
7 minutes ago, ck_Wingz said:

Sounds like you want to keep one. IMO i say sell both and do a proper upgrade.
Nothing extreme, what would be your budget?

^+1. Building a decent rig is not too expensive if you know where to look for it. Another question is what level of performance are you looking to achieve? WOWs is a very flexible game when it comes to system requirements. You can run it on nearly anything. I know a lot of people who are perfectly happy playing the game with low to medium settings at 30 FPS, and the game is completely playable at this level. However, I am a little more picky and would not personally enjoy playing with these settings. 

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,059 battles

I use a i5 quad core, but i use alot more RAM and SSD no problems running 60 FPS. Built this PC 7 years ago.

[GOB]
Members
2,064 posts

I'm traveling right now.  I  use an OLD ( 2012 ) Mac book pro running WIN 10 64 on  bootcamp.  I built it up a bit.  It has 2 SSD's and 16GB Ram.  Runs WOWs a medium at 60-72FPS.    I also connect a second 1080P 27 inch to this when I am at my GFs house and it works great there too.

If you can get an I7 processor it would help.  SSD's are really cheaper now so look into that.  As far s ram Get all you can afford.

[CLARE]
Members
572 posts

A more general note.  Some of the Intel offering are marketed as Pentium.  The #1 with 4 gig of ram sounds old and probably is.  However, in absence of details and costs it should not be completely discounted, just mostly discounted.

Edited by ij70

[WORX]
Members
10,694 posts
18,577 battles
4 hours ago, Dogget said:

None of the above.....

IF they only gave my these two options... I would pass on them in a heart beat and so should you...

Both options will be obsolete within a year... If you're looking for a gaming machine, the above options will not cut it.

[CLARE]
Members
572 posts
3 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

None of the above.....

IF they only gave my these two options... I would pass on them in a heart beat and so should you...

Both options will be obsolete within a year... If you're looking for a gaming machine, the above options will not cut it.

lol.  obsolete within a year?

they have been obsolete 3 years ago if you are looking for gaming machine.

Edited by ij70

[WORX]
Members
10,694 posts
18,577 battles
1 minute ago, ij70 said:

they have been obsolete 3 years ago if you are looking for gaming machine.

True, I was being generous...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,659 posts

2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

WOWS is not very resource-intensive. I'm playing it on a system I built ten years ago. However, that's not to be said for other games. I used to play AOE III a lot and submitted my specs for AOE IV but was informed that my system would not be able to play it when it came out.

That said, my system is still doing fine after ten years, which shows how you can get a good system if you build one. It wasn't even the state of the art ten years ago. I build to the middle of the road because that's where the best performance for the price lies. Other than transferring it to a new case, which I got for 1/4th of its usual selling price because it was black and another color was more popular at the time, all I've done to upgrade is to install an SSD and recently, upgrade my video card to an RX 570.

My system:

• Gigabyte GA 890 FXA UD5 AMD 3.0 motherboard board
  • Phenom II quad-core CPU 3.4 GHz
  • 8 GB 1333 Crucial RAM
  • Crucial 256 Gb SSD
  • WD Black 640 Gb HDD
  • Radeon RX 570 video card
  • Corsair AX850 PSU  
  • Windows 10 Professional 64 bit

I get 50 plus FPS under very high graphics settings in WOWS.

If I were to build a new system today, I'd probably go with these core components:

• RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz CPU
  • ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus motherboard 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400 RAM
  • Seasonic 650 W PSU
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD
  • Radeon RX 590 Video Card

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles

Need more info. What kind of memory speed/Motherboard are they using.

The i5 system is the only useable one but need to know what GPU it's paired with along with Ram speed and the motherboard. See if there is any OC potential assuming that you have proper cooling for said hardware. Also is it going to be on an SSD or HDD, is the HDD 7200RPM or slower?

I play WoWs on an older rig and it does fine. Really hoping to gut it and build a new one before Cyberpunk 2077 but I have a truck to pay off first.

Motherboard: AsRock H81M-HDS

CPU: i54670K(Light OC to 4.0GHz)

RAM: 16GB Ram DDR3

GPU: MSI GTX1050Ti 4GB(This is new since my AMD HD7950 bricked on me about a month ago)

If you have the budget it's really worth building your own right now. You can get significantly more performance for the price at the moment, with a lot of options both CPU/GPU wise.

Edited by Stand_Alone97

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
667 posts
13,725 battles
Just now, ij70 said:

they have been obsolete 3 years ago if you are looking at gaming machine.

I wouldn't say obsolete. I have, and run an i5k. Discounting WoWs own bugs I play without any issues. I play any other game pretty darn well too. It still holds a viable benchmark. Well enough that I also own a VIVE and play any games out there I want to without any problems using it. Is it old and are there better out there? Sure absolutely, I keep a watchful eye to upgrading myself. But, 4 core processors will not be obsolete anytime soon when it comes to being usable.

To answer OP the i5 is a better processor than the Pentium. One is a 4 core the other a single core processor. The other bells and whistles wouldn't matter.