You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BanCVComplainers

Venezia secondaries are interesting

18 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
4,287 posts
6,522 battles

Why? They're not very damaging guns, require IFHE to deal damage to any ship in their tier range, and there aren't actually that many guns and firing rate. If you want a secondary CA, there's Moskva. She has 6.5km base range, and 8 Grozovoi guns stuck on her centerline.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
38 minutes ago, Dr_Citadel said:

Because what other builds make this ship ranked viable? No utility sealed that deal already. Its for fun.

Uh, open-water survivability and kiting? Like every other Italian cruiser?

That said, it's not just Venezia's secondaries. The whole line seems to have strangely "lucky" secondary guns in the same way that French cruisers have lucky torpedoes. I've gotten, by complete accident mind you, as many secondary kills using Genova, Montecuccoli, Trento, and Zara as I have the rest of my cruisers combined.

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,349 posts
23,776 battles

Hindenburg can reach to 9.1 or 9. Something as well but doesnt have any large caliber secondaries. 

Members
1,373 posts

If you are trying to do an anti Kleber defense from torpedoes my average launch distance is about 7.6 km max is 8 km.   

So if we see a lot of Kleber’s in Ranked this should help.  However you have to see the Kleber for auto guns to work.  Concealment is 7 km.   Min torp distance for the rest of the DDs is 10km.   Torp distance goes up to 20km. 

Auto guns have caused me to abort a Torp approach.  There is no heal on Kleber.  

If we see a lot of auto guns and observing aircraft, DDs or Radar Kleber will move to 10 - 12 km and set fires.   So your increase in secondary gun range would likely help in AA only. 

• Confused 1

Members
2,640 posts
4,263 battles

Stalingrads got 130's that have 6.5 base range and a four second reload.  Only 6x2,  though.  The rest that have good secondaries are either all super cruisers or sacrifice range.  Roon comes to mind,  she's got a decent number of 150's for a cruiser and some 105's but she only has 5km range.  I realize people think its a terrible idea but I am actually pretty excited about the Siegfried.

But more on topic,   I was considering this as well.  I want a tier ten cruiser and the Italian line kinda appeals to me.  Its not perfect by any stretch but it looks fun.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
2 minutes ago, Palladia said:

Stalingrads got 130's that have 6.5 base range and a four second reload.  Only 6x2,  though.  The rest that have good secondaries are either all super cruisers or sacrifice range.  Roon comes to mind,  she's got a decent number of 150's for a cruiser and some 105's but she only has 5km range.  I realize people think its a terrible idea but I am actually pretty excited about the Siegfried.

But more on topic,   I was considering this as well.  I want a tier ten cruiser and the Italian line kinda appeals to me.  Its not perfect by any stretch but it looks fun.

Azuma and Yoshino's are apparently really good to, since you basically have an Akizuki strapped to either side complete with its high RoF and buff HE penetration. But you still shouldn't rely on them for anything but a meme build because... They're cruisers. And not even good at brawling other cruisers.

[UN1]
Members
1,218 posts
3,670 battles

In terms of raw DPM, the Venezia's secondaries are roughly equal to a T7 battleship, but without IFHE, the they will struggle to do consistent damage since they're only damaging the destroyer's superstructure.  One of the biggest problems with secondary builds on any cruiser, besides the obvious very high investment cost and lack of survivability as compared to a battleship, is that a cruiser's main battery is already specialized in anti-dd performance (minus maybe the Siegfried?).  Venezia's main battery is already one of, if not the best anti-dd tools in the game, so further specializing in this regard seems questionable.

If you're really looking for a good secondary cruiser for fun, memes, and something with reasonable effectiveness, the Siegfried and Puerto Rico are the only two that make sense.  The Siegfried has the range, whereas the Puerto Rico's is the exact same as the Montana.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
7 minutes ago, Ranari said:

whereas the Puerto Rico's is the exact same as the Montana.

Erm, not exactly. One side at a time can have the full weight of a Montana's broadside, and even it looks like you'd have to angle a lot to get the furthest turret in play. While that's going on the other side only has 60% of a Montana's secondaries to work with. Now, I don't know about you, but even if I were trying a meme-build for the lulz on my Puerto Rico I would NOT take manual secondaries, so I'd want both sides firing at full power. You can't really do that with her 5"/54 layout seeing how it draws from the arrangement that Cleveland, Baltimore, and Atlanta use for their 5"/38s.

[UN1]
Members
1,218 posts
3,670 battles
40 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Erm, not exactly. One side at a time can have the full weight of a Montana's broadside, and even it looks like you'd have to angle a lot to get the furthest turret in play. While that's going on the other side only has 60% of a Montana's secondaries to work with. Now, I don't know about you, but even if I were trying a meme-build for the lulz on my Puerto Rico I would NOT take manual secondaries, so I'd want both sides firing at full power. You can't really do that with her 5"/54 layout seeing how it draws from the arrangement that Cleveland, Baltimore, and Atlanta use for their 5"/38s.

If you're not going to take MFCSA then there is absolutely no reason to focus on secondaries.  They'll be nothing but fireworks displays.