Sign in to follow this  
ash403A

World war II question

13 comments in this topic

Members
34 posts
162 battles

ok everybody I know almost all of you are fro south of me in America so you should know he answer

I was asked Friday by my world History teacher this question, During the battle of The Coral sea, was the U.S.S Hornet sunk or was it in a different battle

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,530 posts
4,599 battles

Lexington sank after the battle of Coral Sea.  She was damaged during the battle and was headed back to Pearl Harbor when she suffered an avgas fume explosion and fire that spread out-of-control and eventually resulted in the loss of the ship.  The Japanese didn't sink her outright, and if the fire hadn't happened the Lexington would have survived the battle.

• Cool 2

[SPU]
Members
175 posts
17,697 battles

The CV-8 Hornet (and CV-6 Enterprise) had just completed the Doolittle raid on Japan (April 18th 1942) and had left Pearl Harbor April 30th with orders to join the other CVs when the battle of Coral Sea took place. (CV-3 Saratoga was under repairs from torpedo damage suffered Jan.11th 1942 and CV-4 Ranger was kept in the Atlantic)

So in answer to the question, No the USS Hornet (CV-8) was NOT sunk at the battle of Coral Sea (May 4 -8, 1942).

The two carriers present were the CV-2 Lexington (scuttled after the battle) and CV-5 Yorktown was damaged and rush repaired at Pearl Harbor in time for.

the battle of Midway.

[DISST]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,031 posts

Though .... it could be a trick question there have been two Hornets that served in the us navy in ww2. The second is still afloat and recovered theapollo 11 astronauts. 

Members
6,113 posts
7,428 battles
2 hours ago, flyingtaco said:

Though .... it could be a trick question there have been two Hornets that served in the us navy in ww2. The second is still afloat and recovered theapollo 11 astronauts. 

CV-12 wasn't launched until over a year after the battle of Midway. It wasn't till almost a year and a half after Midway (three months after her launching) that CV-12 was actually commissioned.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[DISST]
1,031 posts

7 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

CV-12 wasn't launched until over a year after the battle of Midway. It wasn't till almost a year and a half after Midway (three months after her launching) that CV-12 was actually commissioned.

Question was if the hornet was sunk in coral sea or another battle... so the answer since the question did not specific which ship was being discussed is ... another battle or neither ... not sure where midway comes into it. 

Members
6,113 posts
7,428 battles
1 hour ago, flyingtaco said:

Question was if the hornet was sunk in coral sea or another battle... so the answer since the question did not specific which ship was being discussed is ... another battle or neither ... not sure where midway comes into it. 

Midway happened on June 4, 1942. Coral Sea was a month before that in May. The first Eesex-class carriers weren't commissioned until late 1942/early 1943, around 8+ months after the battle of Coral Sea. The Essex-class Hornet, CV-12 couldn't have been the one being discussed, as she hadn't even been built yet, let alone had her name changed to Hornet in honor of CV-8. (The keel that became Hornet, CV-12 wasnt laid down until August of 1942, two months after Midway and 3 after Coral Sea)

I mentioned Midway because it's a well known battle with well a well known date as a reference point to show that CV-12 could not have been the one the question was referring to.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
34 posts
162 battles
17 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Lexington at Coral Sea, Yorktown at Midway, Hornet at Santa Cruz, Princeton at Leyte Gulf.

Thank you

Members
34 posts
162 battles
5 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Midway happened on June 4, 1942. Coral Sea was a month before that in May. The first Eesex-class carriers weren't commissioned until late 1942/early 1943, around 8+ months after the battle of Coral Sea. The Essex-class Hornet, CV-12 couldn't have been the one being discussed, as she hadn't even been built yet, let alone had her name changed to Hornet in honor of CV-8. (The keel that became Hornet, CV-12 wasnt laid down until August of 1942, two months after Midway and 3 after Coral Sea)

I mentioned Midway because it's a well known battle with well a well known date as a reference point to show that CV-12 could not have been the one the question was referring to.

I like the look of the Essex class carriers, if Canada had built one it' look like that 

[DISST]
1,031 posts
On 11/17/2019 at 7:26 AM, GhostSwordsman said:

No where in the op was essex class mentioned 

Sign in to follow this