You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xColonelJoe

Penalty system is a joke...

62 comments in this topic

[00000]
Members
11 posts
3,837 battles

The penalty system is a joke because it doesn't take into account a player being stupid enough to cut across someone line of fire just after they shot at the intended target at long range.  This has happen to me more then a few times when I fired at an enemy only to find I hit a friendly because that player got to close to me at the very moment I fired my guns.  This gets even worst if you are using a Destroyer with extreme long range torpedoes and taking extreme care to make sure no friendlies are in or near the path of travel for your torpedoes to only find out lately after you released them that some friendly was foolish enough ignore their ship's warning system about in coming torpedoes thus resulting in you getting hit penalty of friendly fire that you rightfully don't deserve.

Therefore, I suggest that either friendly fire to be turned off.  Or the penalty system to go through a major change where both the player doing the shooting and the player getting hit share in an even penalty both parties involved which should lead to this happening a lot less.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 24

Members
220 posts
6,578 battles

Why??? Your torps your responsibility... you say about ships not in line when you fire torps but then as a DD you shouldn't be behind any ships to hit them

Also to be hitting a ship with guns means you are not being situational aware at all times, try looking at mini map more and see if ships are coming up the inside lines etc

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[TWFT3]
Members
143 posts
4,469 battles

It's not your teammates' responsibility to stay out of the way of your torpedoes. They have other things to worry about.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,694 posts
18,577 battles

leave it to the Simpsons to teach a new guy about personal ordnance responsibility

Its your ordnance you're responsible for them...

• Funny 3

Members
1,660 posts
12 minutes ago, xColonelJoe said:

Therefore, I suggest that either friendly fire to be turned off.  Or the penalty system to go through a major change where both the player doing the shooting and the player getting hit share in an even penalty both parties involved which should lead to this happening a lot less.

Therefore, I suggest shooting red fleet ships instead of green fleet friendlies.  It works much better for everyone involved.

• Funny 2

[HEROS]
Members
1,992 posts
17,635 battles
19 minutes ago, xColonelJoe said:

The penalty system is a joke because it doesn't take into account a player being stupid enough to cut across someone line of fire just after they shot at the intended target at long range.  This has happen to me more then a few times when I fired at an enemy only to find I hit a friendly because that player got to close to me at the very moment I fired my guns.  This gets even worst if you are using a Destroyer with extreme long range torpedoes and taking extreme care to make sure no friendlies are in or near the path of travel for your torpedoes to only find out lately after you released them that some friendly was foolish enough ignore their ship's warning system about in coming torpedoes thus resulting in you getting hit penalty of friendly fire that you rightfully don't deserve.

If you do something stupid, you pay the price for it.  Instead of whining about how unfair it is.. especially when it's a penalty system that been in place and evolving over the last 4 years you to step back and re-evaluate your opinion.  Penalty systems in shooter game are always a compromise, and this is a shooter that gives a strong nod to full on simulations of naval combat.  Point of fact is that the initial development of this game was to make a naval sim, not an arcade shooter.  And I'll bet real money you didn't know that.   But it was too difficult for the average player which would have meant less players, and less revenue.  SO changes were made.  The game got significantly dumbed down.  That's why the ships are NOT to scale with the maps.  They twice the size they should be just to make it easier for players to hit them while still retaining some aspects of realism in the games gun and shell mechanics.

So the penalty system is not going to change.  How ever your play style, and attitude needs to or your going to get penalized.  A lot.

Learn!

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,442 battles
34 minutes ago, xColonelJoe said:

I suggest you get use to it. It use to be much worse and one could get an account suspension and not be allowed to play for a few days.

Also if you Icon didn't turn brown and you were restricted to co op only you have not been penalized. That doesn't happen until you persist in damaging/sinking team mates while brown. So be an adult, play like an adult and post like an adult instead of a tantrum throwing toddler.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles
51 minutes ago, xColonelJoe said:

Or the penalty system to go through a major change where both the player doing the shooting and the player getting hit share in an even penalty both parties involved which should lead to this happening a lot less.

No-fault team damage. Sounds good.

You both turn pink, and split the damage.

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
542 posts
12,263 battles
51 minutes ago, xColonelJoe said:

It wouldn't be as fun if they removed friendly fire.  All the DDS would just spam torps all the time with no worry about hitting teammates and would take the skill out of the game and make it boring.  Penalizing both people is a horrible idea.  I could make you pink by purposely shooting you at the beginning of the match for no reason other than to make you pink.  Do you really want people to have the ability to do that?  It could even go as far as make you orange and keep you locked in co op.  Both are bad suggestions.

Members
1,660 posts
12 minutes ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

Vanav's cousin?

I was just imagining them on the same team and it made me giggle like a school girl.  Can you picture them slinging torps and salt back and forth?  :Smile_veryhappy::cap_wander::Smile_facepalm::cap_viking:

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
  • Funny 2

[ENDO]
Members
282 posts

I have my share of torpedoing team members. In every case, I apologize, because it is my fault.

With that said, I have been hit by torpedoes launch by my allies. Most of the time, I feel sorry if the team member turns pink. The exception being that when the one firing the torpedo begins insulting me for not avoiding their torpedoes. 

The rule that the vast majority of players use is that if you launch them you get the credit and blame for who they hit.

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

The penalty system is a joke since there is no actual penalty.

It makes you coming here to cry 'not my fault' (when it most certainly is, your ordnance your responsibility) that much more pathetic. 

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
13 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

The penalty system is a joke since there is no actual penalty.

It makes you coming here to cry 'not my fault' (when it most certainly is, your ordnance your responsibility) that much more pathetic. 

If you do it enough time in a short enough time, it does force you into co-op and clan battles only. It also starts reflecting the damage back at you after a while.

[PVE]
Members
1,711 posts
7,941 battles

Yep, yada yada yada....blah blah blah.....and then there are those that purposely will get between you and your target so that they purposely get hit by your torps....oh but lets not forget its your fault because they are your torps...sorry but that argument does not hold water.

• Boring 6

[ENDO]
Members
282 posts
1 minute ago, Judge_Doom said:

Yep, yada yada yada....blah blah blah.....and then there are those that purposely will get between you and your target so that they purposely get hit by your torps....oh but lets not forget its your fault because they are your torps...sorry but that argument does not hold water.

No, but the ship that is hit by your torpedo is holding water.

All I can say is that I have never seen a person intentionally turn into my torpedoes. That is not to say that someone will not that you have presented the concept. 

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
542 posts
12,263 battles
3 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

The amount of people that do that is incredibly small.  I don't think I have ever seen any purposely turn into my torpedoes to get hit and I have played a lot of games.  It would not benefit them to get damaged by their own team.  I think it is your argument that does not hold water.

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,227 battles

Before you fire your guns or torps look around, don't stay in bino mode all the time. Keep an eye on the mini map also and you won't have this problem. When I have to worry more about friendly torpedoes than enemy ships it is hard to be useful to the team. Had one game with 5 dds, spent the entire first half of game dodging their torps. Thankfully they were all finally sunk and we were able to get down to business of trying to win the match which we almost did.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
2 hours ago, xColonelJoe said:

The penalty system is a joke

Indeed, and everyone who isn't drinking the cool-aide realizes that it's a band-aide necessary because actually making a system that can recognize who's actually at fault is too hard, having humans review incidents would require a huge staff, and turning off team damage entirely would... do some vague undefined bad things, I guess? 

Sadly, instead of just admitting this, WG pushes a silly absolutist platitude about the firing ship always being to blame no matter what, that circumstances could never ever put this ship that was hit in the wrong, and tries to smokescreen the limits of their ability to deal with the issue between a ludicrous moral assertion.

• Boring 2

[WOOK3]
Members
4,214 posts
3,235 battles
1 hour ago, Judge_Doom said:

It's like gun safety; you're responsible for whatever you hit downrange. I have had that happen to me, a player puts his ship into reverse just to get hit by my torps, trolling me in chat as it happens. Still my responsibility

• Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
1 hour ago, Wombatmetal said:

It's like gun safety; you're responsible for whatever you hit downrange. I have had that happen to me, a player puts his ship into reverse just to get hit by my torps, trolling me in chat as it happens. Still my responsibility

That's an odd use of the word "responsibility". 

Who is taking the deliberate action to cause the incident?

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
4 hours ago, xColonelJoe said:

7z5zcGx.jpg

Your torps?  Your responsibility

End of discussion.

• Boring 1