Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Markk9

Hindenburg vs Smolensk

21 comments in this topic

[BB35]
Members
517 posts
3,866 battles

I thing the Hindenburg with the Legendary upgrade could make a good counter to Smolensk.with a 10 second fire burn. Hindi has good guns, HE or AP she could make quick work of the Smolensk, go hydro to fight in close with or with out smoke, torps are nice.

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles

Sure it can work. But I think that Minotaur is a better counter: better concealment+ radar make it able to get close and light him in his smoke, while his AP will never overpen.

• Cool 1

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,437 battles
6 minutes ago, Markk9 said:

I thing the Hindenburg with the Legendary upgrade could make a good counter to Smolensk.with a 10 second fire burn. Hindi has good guns, HE or AP she could make quick work of the Smolensk, go hydro to fight in close with or with out smoke, torps are nice.

It's iffy.  I've never had a chance to go strictly 1v1 against a Smolensk in my Hindenburg when I'm full health.  I've killed a Smolensk in my Hindy when I was at about 80% health but he made the mistake of giving me too much broadside and 4 citadels later is was over pretty quick but he did about 20k to me in the process.

On the other hand I've killed several Hindenburgs with my Smolensk, you just angle enough so their AP is next to useless and then it comes down to a DPM battle.........which Smolensk will always win.

[BB35]
Members
517 posts
3,866 battles
15 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Sure it can work. But I think that Minotaur is a better counter: better concealment+ radar make it able to get close and light him in his smoke, while his AP will never overpen.

Didn't think of that boat, I don't have it yet.

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

IMO the key to dealing with Smolensk is to treat it like a DD, i.e. every ship within reasonable range should be focus firing it whenever it is spotted. It's soft, slow, and evaporates quickly under focus fire.

And yes all cruiser AP(including tier 8s) wrecks Smolensk if you can get to flanking positions.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,928 battles

Any TX cruiser [maybe not zao] how get close (<8km) the smolensk is able to easy counter it. Smol is strong at smoke/island/distance, if you get close (in a cruiser) the smol become an easy targer. The hard part is get close.

Members
1,926 posts
7,591 battles

IFHE Smolensk can pen hindy's bow and stern in addition to superstructure.  Fires aren't the only issue. Moskva/Stalin better counter since Smolensk can't pen them. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 hour ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

It's iffy.  I've never had a chance to go strictly 1v1 against a Smolensk in my Hindenburg when I'm full health.  I've killed a Smolensk in my Hindy when I was at about 80% health but he made the mistake of giving me too much broadside and 4 citadels later is was over pretty quick but he did about 20k to me in the process.

On the other hand I've killed several Hindenburgs with my Smolensk, you just angle enough so their AP is next to useless and then it comes down to a DPM battle.........which Smolensk will always win.

Salem does rather well vs Smolensk thanks to being a Des Moines class CA that gets “Super Heals”  that make burning it diwnna little harder than most CAs. And unlike Mino prairie that while getting super Heals lacks good armor, the Salem’s armor can shatter or bounce at least some of the HE shells.

I also prefer the hydro over Salem’s Radar as the hydro lasts longer and can pick up both smoked ships and torpedoes.

Members
1,051 posts
9,814 battles

4 best smolie counters:

1.  Stalingrad - has ballistics, accuracy, and alpha to wreck a smolie

2.  Kleber - has speed, torps, and good enough ap to ambush Smolie

3.  Henri - Kites well enough to be hard to hit at range and HE as well as AP hurts Smolie

4.  Any 12 gun BB - get enough shells flying and sometimes you will get a good hit...get two and Smolie goes to port.

Unless it gets close Mino's ballistics means it doesn't trade DPM well with Smolie. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

Hindy can do well firing into smoke using the spotter plane.    I've hit several smole and did good dmg using AP while smol was shooting from smoke.    (did 20k dmg in one series until it stopped firing and went behind island completely)          1v1 isn't as good though.

[SALVO]
Members
24,823 posts
25,888 battles

Maybe the best counter isn't a ship, but the ability to use a spotter plane to accurately shoot at ships hiding and shooting from smoke.  The tricky thing may be that (if the choice exists) one has to choose between a cat fighter (for anti-CV work) and a spotter plane.

[-KIA-]
Members
3,473 posts
14,825 battles

Minotaur, Worcester, Des Moines, Zao, and Kléber are strong Smolensk counter.

Edited by AlcatrazNC

Beta Testers
692 posts
4,978 battles
5 hours ago, Markk9 said:

Nope from alot of experience,   if you get against one you have to quickly widen the range.   There accuracy falls off quickly and its just shells hitting the water.

[KW]
Banned
623 posts
4 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

IFHE Smolensk can pen hindy's bow and stern in addition to superstructure.  Fires aren't the only issue. Moskva/Stalin better counter since Smolensk can't pen them. 

so what about the mino theory posted?

Members
1,051 posts
9,814 battles
On 11/16/2019 at 7:39 PM, nastydamnanimal said:

so what about the mino theory posted?

Mino can be effective if it can get close enough but as stated earlier so can just about any T8+ cruiser.  Otherwise mino at range is not a good match vs. Smolie for the same reason Wooster isn't.  Once Smolie starts kiting at 10km+ range it has a big ballistics advantage.

Members
2,439 posts
5,370 battles
On 11/16/2019 at 4:42 PM, YouSatInGum said:

4 best smolie counters:

1.  Stalingrad - has ballistics, accuracy, and alpha to wreck a smolie

2.  Kleber - has speed, torps, and good enough ap to ambush Smolie

3.  Henri - Kites well enough to be hard to hit at range and HE as well as AP hurts Smolie

4.  Any 12 gun BB - get enough shells flying and sometimes you will get a good hit...get two and Smolie goes to port.

Unless it gets close Mino's ballistics means it doesn't trade DPM well with Smolie. 

Venezia is very good against her. You have the shell velocity at range and the SAP is no laughing matter on a light cruiser like her.

Members
647 posts
72 battles
On 11/16/2019 at 8:34 PM, Markk9 said:

I love Hinden and have had some great carry games with that ship on my channel, but have to say, if Smolensk is played right, Hinden wouldnt stand a chance.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles

Everyone keeps focusing on getting up close and personal, but if you've got bead on a Smolesk's location I would think that the best play would be to keep your distance and engage at range. Her armor is tissue paper and that <14km stock main battery range is comically short at tier 10 (even Worcester gets 16km out of the box!). From there you can either turn her own trick against her with fire or just blep the accursed thing into oblivion with citadels.

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,721 battles
On 11/16/2019 at 2:34 PM, Markk9 said:

I think Hindi is good choice.   For what you said there.  Also because even if you don't want to get in close, a seen Smolensk, Hindi can make short work of from outside Smolensk firing range too.

Members
1,051 posts
9,814 battles
3 hours ago, Landsraad said:

Everyone keeps focusing on getting up close and personal, but if you've got bead on a Smolesk's location I would think that the best play would be to keep your distance and engage at range. Her armor is tissue paper and that <14km stock main battery range is comically short at tier 10 (even Worcester gets 16km out of the box!). From there you can either turn her own trick against her with fire or just blep the accursed thing into oblivion with citadels.

Most of the time it won't work out that way.  I take Smolie out with either 16.6 or 19.2 range, and it is a skinny ship.  A kiting Smolie beyond 13 or 14 isn't that easy to hit much less get citadels....and if I feel like I'm losing the trade I can either go dark or smoke up again.

[O7]
Supertester
198 posts
12,427 battles

Hindy with legendary mod is more of a meme than a serious build. Decreasing fire DoT by 40% sounds amazing... until you realize most of the damage you take is raw penetrations.

Fires will tick for 0.3% of the ship's max health per second, with cruiser fires lasting for 30s at most. With the -20% fire signal, this already drops to 24s. Equipping Legendary mod drops this to only 14s. Hindy's base health is 51,900 HP, which means she takes ~156 damage per fire tick, meaning she will take 4,671 damage from full duration fires. Assuming you have the -20% fire signal, this drops to ~3,700 HP and legendary mod further decreasing it to 2,180. If you want to go all in with DoT reduction, this drops to 1620 HP per fire. 

But wait, I take 1500 less damage from every fire with Legendary mod. If I get lit on fire 7 times per battle I take 10.5k HP less damage per battle. That's good right? 

If the legendary upgrade was free, then yes it would be good. But as with many things in life, there are tradeoffs. In this case, taking legendary upgrade means no concealment module. Being detected from further out means you are less able to dictate your fights; a BB will now out detect you, and you really don't want that Yamato to get the jump on your broadside when he can dev strike you. Leg mod also does nothing to stop the AP and HE shells from damaging you. 

As I mentioned earlier, most of the damage you will take in Hindy will be from pens, not DoT. Smolensk HE may not be able to pen your belt with HE, but she can wreck the superstructure and bow/stern with IFHE. Hindy will also take massive damage from AP if she shows broadside. 

While Smolensk does have a very small HP pool and Hindy guns will wreck her, Smolensk has smoke to easily remedy the issue. Sure you can technically blindfire Smolensk in smoke, but now RNG becomes a huge factor in your damage, not something you want. Hindy would have to run away, ask for radar support, or deny spotting to negate the Smolensk's advantage. 

Outside of smoke, Hindy may have the advantage due to sheer HP pool difference, but not the detection advantage. Smolensk can avoid engagements until the situation becomes more favorable (like Hindy overcommitting, smoke is back up, etc). Range advantage means nothing if the target is not spotted. If Hindy is caught in a bad spot, then Smolensk can leverage her insane DPM advantage and severely damage Hindy before she can effectively respond. Also, Smolensk is faster than Hindy. Good luck getting reliably close. 

Generally from what I've seen. Smolensk holds most of the cards in the engagement, requiring Hindy to capitalize on his mistakes to win the fight. Thankfully most Smolensks will give you that opportunity. However, against good Smolensk players, it might be merciful to just exit back to port. 

Sign in to follow this