You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_972eLbRf1E53

Italian CA captain builds?

58 comments in this topic

Members
80 posts

What are people running?

My captain so far has 12 points (PT, EM, AR, SI and CE) leaving 7 points. I noticed Flamu was running RPF on his Venezia which doesn't seem like a bad idea considering there is no HE to buff and no radar/hydro to warn you of nearby DD threats.

Also in my first Zara game just now, I lost the rudder twice (have rudder upgrade in slot 2) and the engine once. I've noticed the fragility of them from Montecuccoli, Trento and now Zara. Is this a trend that continues with higher tier ITA CA's? Considering PM or even LS if this keeps up.

[ARGSY]
Members
449 posts
9,086 battles

Well EM because the turrets are so slow. RDF makes sense so that you can have your guns trained.  AA is not bad. I might try an AA build on a mid tier just for grins.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
28 minutes ago, handybilly said:

Well EM because the turrets are so slow. RDF makes sense so that you can have your guns trained.  AA is not bad. I might try an AA build on a mid tier just for grins.

I think AA build at the moment might actually be one of the better ideas for Italian CAs with how the CAs suffer against some targets at the moment, and with how the stock AA of the top hull did seem to shoot down some planes rather well.

[BNKR]
Members
1,622 posts
2,487 battles

When Flamu first previewed the Italian line, he noted that IFHE could be used to increase SAP penetration to just over 70mm. Has anyone looked to see if that's still the case? Might be a useful thing for high tier Italians that need a way to damage the Kremlins and Yamatos of the world. 

Edit: @Femennenly Can we get confirmation on whether or not IFHE gives a penetration increase for SAP shells?

Edited by RagingxMarmoset

Members
2,417 posts
5,339 battles
1 minute ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

When Flamu first previewed the Italian line, he noted that IFHE could be used to increase SAP penetration to just over 70mm. Has anyone looked to see if that's still the case? Might be a useful thing for high tier Italians that need a way to damage the Kremlins and Yamatos of the world. 

Might try it, but I do not want to give up CE and RPF. RPF has help me so much with DD hunting.

[SALVO]
Members
24,764 posts
25,791 battles
3 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I'm thinking that it shouldn't work.  It doesn't seem realistic, though I'm not entirely certain about that.  It could be just something that was overlooked at the time.  Regardless, it's an interesting question.  And if we were in one of those occasional free captain respec periods, I'd certainly test it out.  But I'm not going to spend doubloons or Elite Commander's XP just to test this out on a whim.

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

Before anyone spends doubloons to try and buff SAP Penetration with IFHE, don't.  It doesn't work.  I temporarily swapped in my Duca D'Aosta captain into SAP Genova and the Pen is still 54mm.

EXqQaPj.jpg

Here's a picture with Genova not having that IFHE Duca captain.  The SAP Pen is still the same at 54mm.

8lHcf0Q.jpg

As for ITA SAP Cruiser Builds?  BB Stealth - Survival Builds are ideal.  If you're PVP'ing you probably want SI because of the very low amount of Smoke charges.

IFHE is wholly unnecessary.

DE is a waste.

Your AA is terrible for almost the entire game so AA Spec has zero worth.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,764 posts
25,791 battles

The thing about the Italian CA captains is that, unlike so many other captains, they are NOT starved for skill points.  They do not have any need for IFHE nor DE, since they don't have HE.  (Unless what Flamu said about SAP and IFHE is true...)  So they have some points to spend on skills they might not otherwise take.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,764 posts
25,791 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Before anyone spends doubloons to try and buff SAP Penetration with IFHE, don't.  It doesn't work.  I temporarily swapped in my Duca D'Aosta captain into SAP Genova and the Pen is still 54mm.

EXqQaPj.jpg

Haze, does the penetration buff from IFHE even show up in those side bar stats?  Just curious.

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Haze, does the penetration buff from IFHE even show up in those side bar stats?  Just curious.

IFHE does nothing for ITA SAP.  Here's Genova without my Duca IFHE Captain on it.  The SAP Pen is still 54mm.

8lHcf0Q.jpg

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,764 posts
25,791 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

IFHE does nothing for ITA SAP.  Here's Genova without my Duca IFHE Captain on it.  The SAP Pen is still 54mm.

8lHcf0Q.jpg

Haze, that wasn't my question.  If you put a non-IFHE captain and then an IFHE trained captain into one of those Italian Light Cruisers, do you see the difference in penetration between those two captains in those sidebar stats?

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Haze, that wasn't my question.  If you put a non-IFHE captain and then an IFHE trained captain into one of those Italian Light Cruisers, do you see the difference in penetration between those two captains in those sidebar stats?

The changes are normal for HE / AP capable Duca when you take the IFHE captain on and off.

Ta8vMus.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
1,622 posts
2,487 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The changes are normal for HE / AP capable Duca when you take the IFHE captain on and off.

Ta8vMus.jpg

Well I guess that answers that. Thanks for having a look.

[MR-1]
Members
1,064 posts
18,583 battles
1 hour ago, Crimson_19 said:

What are people running?

My captain so far has 12 points (PT, EM, AR, SI and CE) leaving 7 points. I noticed Flamu was running RPF on his Venezia which doesn't seem like a bad idea considering there is no HE to buff and no radar/hydro to warn you of nearby DD threats.

Also in my first Zara game just now, I lost the rudder twice (have rudder upgrade in slot 2) and the engine once. I've noticed the fragility of them from Montecuccoli, Trento and now Zara. Is this a trend that continues with higher tier ITA CA's? Considering PM or even LS if this keeps up.

had the same problem with my zara last week so I put last stand on my commanders skill  so now its better . I think all the Italians need it  after playing all the Italian ships in the tech tree 

[MR-1]
Members
1,064 posts
18,583 battles

my commander skills on my Italians from T7-T10 are as following in screenshots  . as for demolition expert and inert fuse  there blanked out because   they only use SAP shells instead of HE shels apart from the T1 Eritrea  that uses HE  but the firing arc  is hell off a high so will take you a little time to figure out  where to fire  infront for the high arc shells to come down 

from T7  and up  I only use the SAP  for destroyers and AP  for everything else 

shot-19.11.16_10.44.55-0816.jpg

shot-19.11.16_10.45.00-0801.jpg

shot-19.11.16_10.45.05-0364.jpg

shot-19.11.16_10.45.10-0024.jpg

Edited by Gaelic_knight

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
34 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Well I guess that answers that. Thanks for having a look.

@HazeGrayUnderway took care of it, so I guess this screenshot is no longer necessary.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/italian-cruisers-branch-review/

69291730_ItaliantechtreeIFHE.thumb.JPG.b45ba665fd574ca6af62ed6ab16f9362.JPG

IFHE still works on the premum Italian cruisers that do have HE shells.

• Cool 1

Members
2,417 posts
5,339 battles
2 minutes ago, IsThatreallyTheplan said:

This is my current commander skill. I am thinking about ditching RDF freeing those 4 points up. But not sure of optimal build

venenzia_co.jpg

RDF is very good against DDs. Italian ships with SAP completely wrecks DDs. Knowing where they are helps pull off those shots.

• Cool 1

[THREE]
Members
2,142 posts
10,892 battles
56 minutes ago, Crucis said:

They do.

[MR-1]
Members
1,064 posts
18,583 battles
10 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

RDF is very good against DDs. Italian ships with SAP completely wrecks DDs. Knowing where they are helps pull off those shots.

nice stats on your ship  but I have never used PT on any of my ships  because I feel theres no need .  if I can see them  and know where they are and going im not gonna waste a commander skill on it .none of my 143 ships use PT in the commanders skills  . I personaly think its a waste . also  I don't know why ppl is obsessed with getting there commanders upto level 19  . I don't have a single one  I am happy to slowly plod away each day on any ship like I have done the past 2 1/2yrs 

Edited by Gaelic_knight
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[MR-1]
Members
1,064 posts
18,583 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

I’m currently running PT, EM, SI, and CE on my Zara captain. 

like I said I think PT is a waste of a commander skill 

and ive already got 147,854 ship exps on my zara

• Boring 1

Members
2,417 posts
5,339 battles
48 minutes ago, Gaelic_knight said:

my commander skills on my Italians from T7-T10 are as following in screenshots  . as for demolition expert and inert fuse  there blanked out because   they only use SAP shells instead of HE shels apart from the T1 Eritrea  that uses HE  but the firing arc  is hell off a high so will take you a little time to figure out  where to fire  infront for the high arc shells to come down 

from T7  and up  I only use the SAP  for destroyers and AP  for everything else 

shot-19.11.16_10.44.55-0816.jpg

shot-19.11.16_10.45.00-0801.jpg

shot-19.11.16_10.45.05-0364.jpg

shot-19.11.16_10.45.10-0024.jpg

SAP does way more damage on BBs than AP. You are seriously undermining your damage potential.

also for your T10 You need to get rid of quicker repair skill. That is a waste. 

SE is useless too because you already have heals.

Edited by Legio_X_