You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Laoski_YourWaifuOnBoard

My testing on the New "Nomogram Modern" Crosshair in the ModStation and why you should try it out

33 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
9,872 battles

So the Nomogram Crosshair is added back to the mod station today. Interestingly, there is a new option called "Nomogram modern" in addition to "Nomogram Classic"

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.61a8063ac164891484a3787349e7d18c.png

Problem with the built-in dynamic crosshair: 

iChase made a video not too long ago elaborating the problem of the built-in dynamic crosshair.

Essentially, the built-in dynamic crosshair only scales to ships sailing in straight line at 30 knts at ~16.2km. 

My testing on the Modern Nomogram: 
Just as the classical one, the modern nomogram also scales against the distance - Big thumb up for the author!

Spoiler

image.png.709e94ba24d780e6dbe6b1ce425bc3d5.png

image.png.43656577de3dfb14fb6d96e4cf3eaf04.png

There are four ticks on the crosshair: 10, 20, 30, 40. Unlike the other crosshair's tick indicating shell flight time. These seems to be scaling to ship speed!

In other words, if you think a ship is sailing at 30knts, simply put the 30 tick on the ship's citadel and you can get great result. 

Here are my test results with Daring and Henri with top speed at 35knts:

image.png.0159123ab5f5f49391c4e1eabddcf16b.png

image.png.5c200e368571d6f3fc1fb8b40f5ce27f.png

Conclusions:

1. "Nomogram Modern" Crosshair carries unique ticks scaled to the ship speed in stead of the shell flight time. Making it the only crosshair with this pattern in this league. As long as you can predict ship speed from the chimney correctly, this would be a useful tool to improve your aiming.

2.  I only did limited testing on limited ships. I hope ppl in the community can use it more often and help improve this mod together. (I wish WG could incorporate this into game one day)

3.  The tick seems a bit undereshooting for DDs at close distance. Maybe it's my RNG. Maybe it's the crosshair ticks.  But tbh you don't really need ticks at point blank range against any ship anyway. 

4.  All praises goes to the author.

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
692 posts
4,978 battles

I'm not sure about this the way you explained it.   It seems to go beyond the aspect of correcting the problems with the game reticles and gets into aiming aides.   Just my opinion,  others may differ.

• Cool 2

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,985 posts
14,281 battles

Sounds great...kinda of distracting to look at seconds, then at mini map then at target.... been playing this game for years, but recently have been trying to be more "scientific" about my aiming rather than on just gut firing (which I think I can shoot well, but always room to improve)

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,802 posts
4,631 battles

Scaling to ship speed, eh?  Interesting.  I'll have to try it.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,881 posts
16,360 battles

I like the idea that you don't need 2 different speed scales ... that's always turned me off to the Nomogram.  Like a lot of people here, I started with the Static crosshair before there was anything else ... than switched to the Dynamic later.  But knowing it's flawed ... I'll also have to try this one.  Thanks.

Members
38 posts
2,861 battles

I use the official modpack, you can now select multiple dynamic mods so I chose them all. Jumped in game, selected dynamic, used drop down menu to load up the  Nomogram Modern. Got in to a Co-Op battle to test it.

I can tell you (I am not being sarcastic) it is working as intended. Pretty sweet crosshair- It effectively works just like the other Nomogram but all the adjusting for speed I used to do in my head is represented right there on the crosshair bar. Reckon what the speed is, line up the correct marker, and blap you got him. As with any crosshair you have to adjust for angling, head on travel, etc. 

[ICOP]
Members
427 posts
13,783 battles

Thanks.  I have in mounted but have only played one game in a DD with it, was all close-in so I can't say yet, but I think this is what I was looking for.  Yes, it just gives you a firing solution for a ship sailing in a straight line at the speed you estimate - but all the other factors require your own skill, so it's not an aim-bot, I agree with you.

Members
15 posts
564 battles

I loaded the classic but the modern showed up in game instead.  Not knowing it was based on speed, I thought it was seriously flawed :-).  Now I see what's up.  

The modstation is great, but I wish there were better descriptions of the mods.  It says nothing of being based on speed in the modstation.

[ICOP]
Members
427 posts
13,783 battles
On 11/16/2019 at 12:05 PM, Thunder_Feet said:

Thanks.  I have in mounted but have only played one game in a DD with it, was all close-in so I can't say yet, but I think this is what I was looking for.  Yes, it just gives you a firing solution for a ship sailing in a straight line at the speed you estimate - but all the other factors require your own skill, so it's not an aim-bot, I agree with you.

I have since played quite a number (several hundred) with Nomo Modern, and love it.  It works as the OP described, when they're sailing broadside.  You have to adjust for angle, etc. as has been pointed out - but if they're 45 degrees, then cut it in half.  Now, if it only had a spider web option, it would be perfect (for me).

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,636 battles
On 11/15/2019 at 6:17 PM, Laoski_Penguin said:

iChase made a video not too long ago elaborating the problem of the built-in dynamic crosshair.

Essentially, the built-in dynamic crosshair only scales to ships sailing in straight line at 30 knts at ~16.2km. 

The stock dynamic crosshair numbers have meaning? I’ve always just used it because the numbers are the same at different zoom levels.

Not being a jerk, but the short explanation you gave makes no sense to me.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,636 battles
On 11/16/2019 at 12:05 PM, Thunder_Feet said:

Yes, it just gives you a firing solution for a ship sailing in a straight line at the speed you estimate - but all the other factors require your own skill, so it's not an aim-bot

So a 50% aimbot? That’s what this sounds like to me. Even the full aimbots took some skill to use.

This sort of crosshair is doing important calculations for the user that they otherwise would have to do on their own, unlike the static and dynamic in the game, which just provide aiming points.

Very borderline stuff IMHO and not something I’d feel comfortable becoming reliant on. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,802 posts
4,631 battles
2 hours ago, BeastLoad1 said:

The modstation is great, but I wish there were better descriptions of the mods.

I looks to me as if they're trying to avoid dealing with localization and author herding.  They'd have to get descriptions from the 900 authors then translate.  And believe me, some of those guys wouldn't be able to write a coherent sentence if they went back to school for 4 years.

I too would love a good description, especially for Zeiss' many mods.  But I understand why we don't have them.

• Funny 1

[1984]
Members
4,132 posts
19,960 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

So a 50% aimbot? That’s what this sounds like to me. Even the full aimbots took some skill to use.

This sort of crosshair is doing important calculations for the user that they otherwise would have to do on their own, unlike the static and dynamic in the game, which just provide aiming points.

Very borderline stuff IMHO and not something I’d feel comfortable becoming reliant on. 

Thing is if you’re good you do it all anyway, this just removes the calculation between flight time in seconds and speed of target.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:17 AM, Laoski_Penguin said:

So the Nomogram Crosshair is added back to the mod station today. Interestingly, there is a new option called "Nomogram modern" in addition to "Nomogram Classic"

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.61a8063ac164891484a3787349e7d18c.png

My testing on the Modern Nomogram: 
Just as the classical one, the modern nomogram also scales against the distance - Big thumb up for the author!

Hide contents

image.png.709e94ba24d780e6dbe6b1ce425bc3d5.png

image.png.43656577de3dfb14fb6d96e4cf3eaf04.png

There are four ticks on the crosshair: 10, 20, 30, 40. Unlike the other crosshair's tick indicating shell flight time. These seems to be scaling to ship speed!

In other words, if you think a ship is sailing at 30knts, simply put the 30 tick on the ship's citadel and you can get great result. 

Here are my test results with Daring and Henri with top speed at 35knts:

image.png.0159123ab5f5f49391c4e1eabddcf16b.png

image.png.5c200e368571d6f3fc1fb8b40f5ce27f.png

Conclusions:

1. "Nomogram Modern" Crosshair carries unique ticks scaled to the ship speed in stead of the shell flight time. Making it the only crosshair with this pattern in this league. As long as you can predict ship speed from the chimney correctly, this would be a useful tool to improve your aiming.

2.  I only did limited testing on limited ships. I hope ppl in the community can use it more often and help improve this mod together. (I wish WG could incorporate this into game one day)

3.  The tick seems a bit undereshooting for DDs at close distance. Maybe it's my RNG. Maybe it's the crosshair ticks.  But tbh you don't really need ticks at point blank range against any ship anyway. 

4.  All praises goes to the author.

Thanks for this! 

Did you try something going at 50 knots (khab, kleber)? Do you have to aim off the screen? This is the primary reason i stopped using static and went to dynamic, although i still havent gotten the hang of shooting dds with the nomogram as i used to with the static... oh well.

Members
4,318 posts
4,594 battles
9 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

Crosshair may as well highlight the tick you aim/line up with while it's at it 

[LEGIT]
Members
2,336 posts
31,819 battles
On 11/15/2019 at 4:23 PM, Ray_P said:

It seems to go beyond the aspect of correcting the problems with the game reticles and gets into aiming aides. 

It is minimalist extraordinaire.  I've never used an aiming aid (to my knowledge) -  just the dynamic sights, and a month ago started using the NG with the 20 and 30 knot marks in the mod station.  But this NG modern is so intuitively fast and easy to use.  It should be an in game choice not a mod station thing.

Same with the traffic signal.  Knowing instantaneously a ship is retarding instead of watching it's range etc. for 10 or 20 sec is a huge advantage.  Can easily mean the difference between a live or dead target.

[LEGIT]
Members
2,336 posts
31,819 battles
11 hours ago, BeastLoad1 said:

The modstation is great, but I wish there were better descriptions of the mods.  It says nothing of being based on speed in the modstation.

Yes.  I loaded it up and figured it out pretty quickly.  I was just awestruck by its simplicity.

Members
1,926 posts
7,591 battles
2 hours ago, throwawayforumalt said:

where is the modstation, i cant find it in the game

It's an external program. 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/modstation/

Edit - lol. Some people will downvote anything. 

Edited by DouglasMacAwful
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
542 posts
12,263 battles
2 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

It is minimalist extraordinaire.  I've never used an aiming aid (to my knowledge) -  just the dynamic sights, and a month ago started using the NG with the 20 and 30 knot marks in the mod station.  But this NG modern is so intuitively fast and easy to use.  It should be an in game choice not a mod station thing.

Same with the traffic signal.  Knowing instantaneously a ship is retarding instead of watching it's range etc. for 10 or 20 sec is a huge advantage.  Can easily mean the difference between a live or dead target.

I think the traffic signal is borderline unfair.  I think part of the game should be looking at the ship and trying to figure out if it is going forward or not.  It takes out any skill, even you say it is a huge advantage.  Why should the ships instantly tell you how they are moving?  Would you also like it if they put a little circle in front of the moving ship too so you know right where you need to fire to hit it?

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

I use that green line crosshair with the minimal white hash marks.  I can eyeball the rest.  Worked well since it first arrived.  Simple, uncluttered, and more than adequate.

Members
15 posts
564 battles
On 11/22/2019 at 9:26 AM, iDuckman said:

I looks to me as if they're trying to avoid dealing with localization and author herding.  They'd have to get descriptions from the 900 authors then translate.  And believe me, some of those guys wouldn't be able to write a coherent sentence if they went back to school for 4 years.

I too would love a good description, especially for Zeiss' many mods.  But I understand why we don't have them.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of the the logistics, especially the different languages.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,246 posts
12,678 battles

If it's adjusted to locked target speed, what does it show when you don't have a locked target?

Members
864 posts
On 11/22/2019 at 11:08 PM, Admiral_Andy said:

I think the traffic signal is borderline unfair.  I think part of the game should be looking at the ship and trying to figure out if it is going forward or not.  It takes out any skill, even you say it is a huge advantage.  Why should the ships instantly tell you how they are moving?  Would you also like it if they put a little circle in front of the moving ship too so you know right where you need to fire to hit it?

You can get the same info using the torp lead indicator , IMO this evens things up for ships without torps .

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,017 posts
10,004 battles
2 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

Personally I would like WG to bring back that HOURGLASS,....

Pr2tMDe.gif

wiggle... wiggle...  BOOM!