Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MaxL_1023

Puerto Rico Dispersion

10 comments in this topic

[KRAB]
Members
890 posts
7,343 battles

Does anyone know why WG is giving the PR battleship dispersion as opposed to using the same formula as Alaska? Unless Alaska is massively over-performing, adding a bit of bulk and a 4th turret doesn't seem to justify such a large nerf in accuracy. 

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,842 battles

Notser has a WiP video of Puerto Rico from October 31, 2019.  He thinks it's good to go "as is" when he pushed that video out.  He specifically mentions early on that he can rely on those guns.

October 14:  Her Sigma was buffed from 1.9 to 2.2.

A quick glance at Developer's Corner I didn't see any changes to Puerto Rico's guns, shells newer than that post and Notser's video.

Some others newer than that October 14 change.

I'll admit I haven't closely followed this ship's development, but that's what I've been able to quickly dig up.  Unless something newer has arisen that I didn't catch, the October 14 WiP version of Puerto Rico looks ready to go.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
743 posts
6,688 battles

Sigma buff helped from the videos I've seen. Why Bb dispersion? Unsure maybe to make it a bit different from the others?

[GRAVE]
Members
1,268 posts
18,787 battles
16 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I'll admit I haven't closely followed this ship's development, but that's what I've been able to quickly dig up.  Unless something newer has arisen that I didn't catch, the October 14 WiP version of Puerto Rico looks ready to go.

the last patch notes stating actual test ship changes gave her a 1km stealth buff

34 minutes ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Does anyone know why WG is giving the PR battleship dispersion as opposed to using the same formula as Alaska

best guess: how they attempted to balance out the extra gun by less accuracy and longer reload. From the looks of it, it feels ready to go, so we won't be getting a complete turd called a premium ship this year. Will it be for everyone, no, is it a free T10 you can get for a month, yes.

Members
4,359 posts
11,269 battles
59 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Will it be for everyone, no, is it a free T10 you can get for a month, yes.

Two months, actually, since the directives will last at least seven weeks and there won’t be enough time for an 8.12 before the new development year in February. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,404 posts
15,850 battles

Hmm yeah it is looking pretty good. That sigma buff was very welcome.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
2,015 posts
25,605 battles

Just out of curiosity why is dispersion always listed but sigma never is?  I assume both matter about equally in terms of accuracy, or is this assumption incorrect?  Thanks.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,842 battles
1 hour ago, tfcas119 said:

the last patch notes stating actual test ship changes gave her a 1km stealth buff

I saw that also, but I was specifically looking for anything affecting her guns / shells.

28 minutes ago, Merc85 said:

Just out of curiosity why is dispersion always listed but sigma never is?  I assume both matter about equally in terms of accuracy, or is this assumption incorrect?  Thanks.

We've been asking that even before the game launched in 2015 :Smile_popcorn:

I remember being a new player Open Beta, peopled talked about "Sigma" but I didn't see that in port.  You had to get that info elsewhere.

Sigma & Dispersion are related.

Dispersion is basically the general, max possible scatter area for shells.

Sigma is the tendency for the shells to go in the middle.

Sigma is a critical value, but it's not the "End All, Be All" value in gunnery.  2.0 for BB Guns is typically the Holy Grail, but other things like "Graf Spee Dispersion," low BB gun dispersion, number of barrels, gun reload, etc. can help a lot.

Musashi in Tier IX "only" has 1.8 Sigma while her sister X Yamato has 2.1 Sigma.  But Musashi still has IJN BB dispersion values, which is the lowest out of all BB Lines as a whole.  So, while she isn't as reliable as Yamato, she's still a lot better by virtue of IJN BB dispersion.

Tier VI BBs has a fantastic set of examples.

New Mexico has very mediocre USN BB dispersion.  Coupled with a crippling long reload and ugly 1.5 Sigma, she's IMO a disaster.

However, Arizona the same tier, is well loved because of her gunnery.  Because she's accurate.  She still has the same USN BB dispersion, she still reloads slowly.  But people LOVE her gunnery.  Why?  She has the Sigma New Mexico wishes she had... 1.8.

Then you got Fuso.  Fuso has the same awful 1.5 Sigma as New Mexico.  Yet the IJN BB players LOVE HER.  Why?  Because not only does she have long range and faster gun reload, she has awesome IJN BB dispersion values.  She's more accurate at 20km than NM is at 16km.

Republique in Tier X only has 8 guns, but a bunch of players LOVE HER.  Why?  The 430mm guns have significant Overmatch advantages, especially against Cruisers.  They also reload quickly and have the 2.0 Sigma.  She's a dangerous BB despite having only 8 guns in Tier X, and every Cruiser player respects those 430s.

North Carolina in Tier VIII has 2.0 Sigma, but her gunnery can be quite questionable.  Why?  Because the shells float quite a bit, and leading targets at range can be problematic as the shells hang in the air so long.  It's not so much she's inaccurate... It's the floaty shells.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
2,015 posts
25,605 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I saw that also, but I was specifically looking for anything affecting her guns / shells.

We've been asking that even before the game launched in 2015 :Smile_popcorn:

I remember being a new player Open Beta, peopled talked about "Sigma" but I didn't see that in port.  You had to get that info elsewhere.

Sigma & Dispersion are related.

Dispersion is basically the general, max possible scatter area for shells.

Sigma is the tendency for the shells to go in the middle.

Sigma is a critical value, but it's not the "End All, Be All" value in gunnery.  2.0 for BB Guns is typically the Holy Grail, but other things like "Graf Spee Dispersion," low BB gun dispersion, number of barrels, gun reload, etc. can help a lot.

Musashi in Tier IX "only" has 1.8 Sigma while her sister X Yamato has 2.1 Sigma.  But Musashi still has IJN BB dispersion values, which is the lowest out of all BB Lines as a whole.  So, while she isn't as reliable as Yamato, she's still a lot better by virtue of IJN BB dispersion.

Tier VI BBs has a fantastic set of examples.

New Mexico has very mediocre USN BB dispersion.  Coupled with a crippling long reload and ugly 1.5 Sigma, she's IMO a disaster.

However, Arizona the same tier, is well loved because of her gunnery.  Because she's accurate.  She still has the same USN BB dispersion, she still reloads slowly.  But people LOVE her gunnery.  Why?  She has the Sigma New Mexico wishes she had... 1.8.

Then you got Fuso.  Fuso has the same awful 1.5 Sigma as New Mexico.  Yet the IJN BB players LOVE HER.  Why?  Because not only does she have long range and faster gun reload, she has awesome IJN BB dispersion values.  She's more accurate at 20km than NM is at 16km.

Republique in Tier X only has 8 guns, but a bunch of players LOVE HER.  Why?  The 430mm guns have significant Overmatch advantages, especially against Cruisers.  They also reload quickly and have the 2.0 Sigma.  She's a dangerous BB despite having only 8 guns in Tier X, and every Cruiser player respects those 430s.

North Carolina in Tier VIII has 2.0 Sigma, but her gunnery can be quite questionable.  Why?  Because the shells float quite a bit, and leading targets at range can be problematic as the shells hang in the air so long.  It's not so much she's inaccurate... It's the floaty shells.

Thanks for the great info.  +1

Alpha Tester
4,287 posts
6,522 battles

Generally, the accuracy figure of merit is dispersion at range / sigma. For Alaska, it's 84 meters @ 15km, for PR it's 95 meters at the same range. This isn't quite true due to the clamping making having a small dispersion with lower sigma better than a large dispersion and a high sigma, but it's mostly correct.

Sign in to follow this