You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Frigate007

Manuel secondaries

19 comments in this topic

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,227 battles

Just put this skill on my Mass Captain, need some clarification. Played one game in co op trying it out. Seemed sometimes it worked, other times not? I am hitting CRTL and playing mouse on ship, and click. Do I need to double click? Or place mouse on header over ship? Do I have to be in bino mode for it to work?

Thanks

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,891 posts
11,511 battles

all you have to do is click on the ship and get that little circle with an A in it over the ship you want, and when you get in range your secondaries will fire as they come to bear. (sp)  that's it.  

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,414 posts
15,870 battles

Just need to click on the target. If you are bow or stern in to the target you may not have any guns that can traverse on target.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
11 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

Just put this skill on my Mass Captain, need some clarification. Played one game in co op trying it out. Seemed sometimes it worked, other times not? I am hitting CRTL and playing mouse on ship, and click. Do I need to double click? Or place mouse on header over ship? Do I have to be in bino mode for it to work?

Thanks

You should fire Manuel and hire Juan or Maria to be your secondary Gunner. ;)

As the others have said ctrl-left click sets the target for your MFCSA guns. They will only fire on one target, so if you have targets on both sides of the ship, you have to pick one. 

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Secondary_Armament#Commander_Skills

• Funny 3

[WOLFG]
Members
29,058 posts
8,322 battles

Another thing to keep in mind, accumulated damage will reduce the number of guns able to fire. You can (if you get spammed) end up with a nearly full complement of guns firing on one side, and none on the other.

As well, it's not instantaneous. Just like with AA, (if it's still that way) your secondaries don't load until you have a target, (they may have to traverse first too, not sure) so there can be a delay. I have it on Amagi, and I have to wait I think 5+ seconds for the 127mm guns to fire, followed shortly by the 140mm guns.

I've also noticed that sometimes target selection can be finicky, needing two or three clicks, if you're not quite clicking exactly where you need to.

Edited by Skpstr

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,751 battles
10 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I've also noticed that sometimes target selection can be finicky, needing two or three clicks, if you're not quite clicking exactly where you need to

Yeah this ^  can be pain if your kind of busy with other stuff..  I've not really used manual secondaries much but i have tried it and oh boy.. i think it really makes a difference.. but i also like not using it because it's a danger warning.. HEY ! why are my starboard secondaries firing? " oh duh.. missed that DD hiding behind the island.. OH CRAP...  

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
38 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

Thanks

You need to control click the target to activate / have the secondary guns focus on the target. The catch is sometimes the click will focus on a ship that is out of range, so you need to make sure the circle targeting icon as the result of your click is above the right target. The mixup usually happens if there are multiple ships in the direction you are trying to click in. Also if the target is in range, you have the right target Control clicked to fire on, then you may need to angle your ship to allow secondary guns to fire on it. This is especially true on German Battleships where many of their secondary guns can only fire off in side arcs.

Reason the system will allow you to click on a ship out of your secondary range to focus on is so your guns can focus on the target the moment you reach the edge of your secondary gun range. Also useful for setting secondaries to target a DD that was just spotted 16km or less distance away from your battleship, because that DD might just decide to come in and try to target your BB. But usually only good to preset a DD target like that if your not having to deal with other close targets at that moment.

Other thing is if you have received a lot of HE hits and have a spare moment, hold right mouse button to activate free look, and look over the secondary gun areas of your ship, if your secondary guns are blackened and crumpled looking then the secondary guns mounts that look that way are destroyed and only the intact gun mounts can function, so if have few to no secondary guns left on one side of your ship then the secondary guns will either fire sporadically or not all depending on the number of secondary guns destroyed. You can know when it's a good idea to take a look at your ship by holding the H key down once in while to bring up in battle ship stats, of secondary guns say 100% then they are all fully functional, but if you are at 70% or low on secondary guns then you may want to take a look since if the 30% worth of lost secondary guns is on one side of your ship then you may feel the difference.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,058 posts
8,322 battles
12 minutes ago, S16_Hunter said:

Yeah this ^  can be pain if your kind of busy with other stuff..  I've not really used manual secondaries much but i have tried it and oh boy.. i think it really makes a difference.. but i also like not using it because it's a danger warning.. HEY ! why are my starboard secondaries firing? " oh duh.. missed that DD hiding behind the island.. OH CRAP...  

Worst is trying to click that charging DD when there's an enemy or two 15km directly behind them lol.

I'm usually pretty good with picking them up when they appear close in. One thing I do is, if a DD appears at say, 10-11km, I select it, then go about my business. If that DD disappears and pops up again in range a bit later, I don't have to do anything, and he'll get fired at. (that might even pre-load the guns, I'll have to check that out)

Also good for DDs that start to smoke, they'll take fire as soon as they come out, or flicker in and out.

I know having them on Amagi (and Nagato too) is not generally accepted, but oh well....

[CLARE]
Members
572 posts

The main thing is that mouse pointer changes, then you click. Just simply pointing at red ship and clicking it, will not select it. Make sure the mouse pointer changed, then click. 

Members
4,362 posts
11,269 battles

One thing that I’ve found is that you actually have to click the name or health bar/icon over the ship rather than on the ship itself. Once the target is in range, you still have to wait for the guns to rotate around and load (could be 3-5 seconds for some if not longer) before they’ll get, and if they can’t fire on the target they won’t even rotate. Not sure if they’ll load even if they can’t fire, but I’d be inclined to say no based on my experience. 

1 hour ago, Harathan said:

Who's "Manuel" and why would you want him controlling your secondaries?

He was the only choice left since Juan and Jose were already assigned to the main guns, and Juan always comes to work drunk so you need to have someone else there with him to make sure the guns are going to at least land shells in the right area. Also, if your Mass shot completely misses your target, you know Juan fired before Jose could stop him. 

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,792 posts
4,631 battles
2 hours ago, Frigate007 said:

Thanks

Don't click on the *ship*, click on or just below the banner above the ship.  What exactly is above the ship depends on whether you have the Alternate Interface enabled (or use the Alt key).

From the footnote to the Commander Skills table at https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Manual_Fire_Control_for_Secondary_Armament:

Secondary target selection can be tricky at first. To make it more sure, with the Alternate Interface Mode set to Full (highly recommended on the Settings.Controls panel) <ctrl-left click> on the red damage bar just above the range number.  [emphasis mine]

[A-I-M]
Members
3,044 posts
13,308 battles
2 hours ago, Harathan said:

Who's "Manuel" and why would you want him controlling your secondaries?

Me, dammit!!!!

We had this discussion a couple years ago, and people need to learn this and learn it good:

1. I ain’t gonna aim anybody’s secondaries but my own, and ain’t nobody gonna make me!

2. I don’t give a rodent’s hindquarters about anybody else’s secondaries.

3. What I do with my secondaries is muh iwn dern business!!!

• Funny 2

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
16 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Me, dammit!!!!

We had this discussion a couple years ago, and people need to learn this and learn it good:

1. I ain’t gonna aim anybody’s secondaries but my own, and ain’t nobody gonna make me!

2. I don’t give a rodent’s hindquarters about anybody else’s secondaries.

3. What I do with my secondaries is muh iwn dern business!!!

:Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_honoring:

[KAOS_]
Members
18 posts
8,080 battles
5 hours ago, Frigate007 said:

Thanks

If you correctly select a target for secondaries, a small indicator icon appears in the enemy ship's nameplate indicating that you've given an order for manual secondary fire on them.

And on Massachusetts, manual secondaries are punishing. Massachusetts has secondaries that rival the Bismarck in terms of firepower.

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,227 battles

Thanks all for all the great info. Tried it again after going into settings and making change. Works great! Have full secondary build, over 11k range.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
6 hours ago, Frigate007 said:

Thanks

There's a certain place that you have to click to get the manual secondary feature to lock. Just practice a bit and you will get the hang of where to click.

Manual secondaries are great for ships like the Bismark and Massachusetts.

Edited by Snargfargle

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

I thought about this for a long time, and eventually decided that it was simply impossible not to meme this thread's title.

However, I'm concerned the meme might get me banned, since people are so sensitive. 

Members
1,051 posts
9,827 battles

Now is where I mention that is would be so cool if secondaries were really manual and you could actually aim and fire them.... I think even Manuel would agree that would be the $hit.**       

**(Manuel's bean burrito varieties not included)