You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Duma

Azuma

7 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
276 posts
2,750 battles

The title says it.

Looking for thoughts musings.  Goods and bads on the Azuma.  I do like big gun cruisers and I might have the FXP  this time next year to pick her up.  "If  she's still going for fxp.:Smile_teethhappy:

[-K-]
Members
8,330 posts
14,084 battles

It's safe to say that Azuma won't be disappearing anytime soon, as she doesn't exactly overperform in any metric or break the game in any way.

But most consider it to be an average to slightly below-average ship at best (considering the potential it had in development).  Yoshino is basically what Azuma should've been in the first place.  

Regardless, it's mostly just a long/max range HE spam ship that doesn't promote any real kind of engaging gameplay.  But there are some people who enjoy that style of play.  It really depends what kind of performance you're looking for in a high-tier cruiser.....especially one that costs one million FXP.

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

I don't own Stalingrad, but I do possess every other Super Cruiser in Tier IX-X.

The IJN B-65s, X Yoshino and IX Azuma have hands down, the most reliable gunnery, even at long range among Super Cruisers.  USN IX Alaska can have just as reliable gunnery, but only as the range closes and her shells float more.  IX Kronshtadt has super-fast shells but her dispersion can be scatter-brained like a BB.

The reality of Co-op is that the bots are almost always charging towards your direction.  Because of that, the B-65 accuracy and propensity to land high hit number gun salvos is a winner.  You see, their HE shells aren't any better than Alaska, not notably anyways.  It's not like how IJN CAs' 203mm HE is better than USN CA HE.  It's the B-65s' gun accuracy, even at range, that makes the HE lethal.

The major issue IX Azuma has is her armor and Citadel.  She's coated in 25mm armor, meaning 380mm+ AP easily Overmatch.  The B-65s have the weirdly shaped, tall, exposed Yamato-class style of Citadels but without the Yamato-class Citadel Armor.  Yoshino in Tier X at least has 30mm upper side armor to at least try to bounce AP smaller than 430mm.  Azuma doesn't have that luxury.

With Azuma, in the presence of Battleships, you must be super aware of your angling to possible threats.  Just because you're angled well against some BB 12km away doesn't mean that some bot BB(s) 15km and off to the side will be.  You don't have the concealment of a normal Cruiser like Ibuki, Atago, Zao to bail you out of trouble by easily going dark even at 10km.  Azuma's concealment with a Stealth Build is 11.9km.  Meanwhile Atago / ARP Takao are at 9.3km, Ibuki at 9.9km, and Ninja Zao is also at 9.9km.

The saving grace Azuma has outside of her gunnery is that her Repair Party has a quick reload.  RP1 reloads in 60 seconds, RP2 in 40 seconds.  Azuma can recover quickly, provided you aren't eating Citadel damage from BBs.  It's fine to take BB AP Pens, the Repair Party will help recover from that, but if you get sloppy and take AP Citadel hits, the RP won't help that.

The armor belt is thick enough to bounce even BB AP, in a pinch you can rely on that, but personally I wouldn't want to tempt fate.

Also, if you're playing at range, where the B-65s excel at, the BB dispersion and longer shell time in the air can work for you.  The closer you fight with BBs around, the dicier things get for you.

The last thing IX Azuma has compared to X Yoshino is her tier.  Yoshino is flat out better than Azuma.  Better armor, has torpedoes which Azuma lacks.  But Azuma by virtue of being a Tier IX can on occasion get easy games facing Tier VII ships.  Azuma shooting up things like Fat A.F. and Slow Tier VII Colorado is gold.  Firing her AP into Tier VII Cruisers never gets old.  A bunch of the Tier VII BBs like Colorado, Gneisenau have terrible gunnery at range.  Tier X ships will face nothing but high powered ships.  Even a bunch of the Tier IX-X BBs there are lethal and fairly accurate at range.  Iowa-class, Georgia, Republique, Jean Bart, Thunderer, Montana, Yamato, etc. are bad news to any Cruiser.  Azuma will see them too, but again, Azuma can still see pathetic Tier VII ships whereas X Yoshino will not.

TLDR:  If you like to play your Cruisers at range, the B-65s will work fine for you in PVE.  But if you like to creep in close, be the first to poke around in front where some other Cruisers like German and USN like to do at times, stay away from the B-65s.

And in case you're thinking about it, with X Yoshino having torpedoes and 30mm upper hull sides means you can just roll up to a BB and simply torp the sh*t out of them... Don't.  I tried that.  Bad things happen to Yoshino unless such torpedo runs are planned and carried out right, i.e. the bot BB is distracted or the BB guns won't come into play in time.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 3

[BS]
Members
1,978 posts
10,766 battles

They should give Azuma 12km torpedos, 4 on each side or something... Won't make it OP in any way shape or form. My problem with Azuma is that I can do 80-100k damage consistently, but it's not gaming winning damage. The AP can be really good with that dispersion on broadside cruisers, even at 17km if they're stationary. THATS game winning damage, but you need to sneak around to a spot where you can get those angles... Odds aren't in your favor. Azuma requires a very good perception of ship positioning, defensive or offensively.

EJ

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles
17 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

Azuma requires a very good perception of ship positioning, defensive or offensively.

EJ

Yes.  This applies to Yoshino also.  BB crossfires are the worst case scenarios.  Even if some bot BB(s) are off to the side at 18km away, you still have to be careful and account for them with who you're fighting at that moment, and what the Priority Target counter says.

For example, I'm angled away, kiting a BB and a Cruiser.  The Priority Target counter should say 2.  If it's anything more than that, chances are, it's some other bot BB to the side that you failed to account for, and is seconds away from Citadeling you.

It's just like in Randoms.  It's the opponents you fail to account for, those are the guys that are going to wreck you.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway