You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
USM_Valor

More Names For USN BB Designs

13 comments in this topic

Members
10 posts
1,819 battles

I know this may seem very irrelevant or even out of the left field here, but just in case if we used all of the 50 state names, I have an idea in where we could use proposed state names like Cascadia, Absaroka, Jefferson, Columbia, West Florida, Delmarva, Superior, Lincoln, Sequoyah, and Cimarron. Now I know these states do not exist and only exist on maps ,but in case if we run out of names for other USN BB designs that never received official names, I think these names would be very useful for them. Maybe they could be premiums or something akin to that. 

Tell me what y'all think about this idea?

[REVY]
Members
6,739 posts
5,685 battles

Given the Russian influence in this game, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the USN Paper Battleships ends up being called "Russian America"

1860-russian-america.jpg

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1

Developers
428 posts
63 battles
1 hour ago, USM_Valor said:

I know this may seem very irrelevant or even out of the left field here, but just in case if we used all of the 50 state names, I have an idea in where we could use proposed state names like Cascadia, Absaroka, Jefferson, Columbia, West Florida, Delmarva, Superior, Lincoln, Sequoyah, and Cimarron. Now I know these states do not exist and only exist on maps ,but in case if we run out of names for other USN BB designs that never received official names, I think these names would be very useful for them. Maybe they could be premiums or something akin to that. 

Tell me what y'all think about this idea?

Before that, for example, we have a case with USS Kearsage, which isn't named after the state, but after a different ship, named after a mountain.

Members
10 posts
1,819 battles
5 minutes ago, Umbaretz said:

Before that, for example, we have a case with USS Kearsage, which isn't named after the state, but after a different ship, named after a mountain.

I actually forgot about the Kearsarge, thank you for reminding me.

[RED]
Modder
198 posts
9,370 battles

I doubt that it's a problem they'll ever have to worry about.  Most likely any design added in the future would be something that came after the USS South Carolina (BB-28), and there are still 8 states whose names weren't assigned to any built or planned ships post-SC:

Connecticut
Kansas
Minnesota
Nebraska
Oregon
Rhode Island
Vermont
Virginia

FDR implemented a policy in the '30s of naming USN BBs after the states that had gone the longest time without having a ship named for them.  If that had been followed here, I believe the in-game Georgia actually should've been named Oregon, but... Russian company... former Soviet republic of Georgia... yeah.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
10 posts
1,819 battles
3 hours ago, TheElusiveDenby said:

Connecticut
Kansas
Minnesota
Nebraska
Oregon
Rhode Island
Vermont
Virginia

Virginia from what I have been reading about is one of the Tillmans including Rhode Island, I saw a few designs that listed those two names for some of the Tillmans.

[90THC]
Members
193 posts
9,329 battles
On 11/15/2019 at 6:54 AM, USM_Valor said:

Virginia from what I have been reading about is one of the Tillmans including Rhode Island, I saw a few designs that listed those two names for some of the Tillmans.

The Tillmans were never seriously considered by the navy, so my guess is that people writing about them just chose names from that list of unused names.

Members
10 posts
1,819 battles
3 hours ago, CrescentSky said:

The Tillmans were never seriously considered by the navy, so my guess is that people writing about them just chose names from that list of unused names.

It is speculation, I saw the main design of the Tillman and just saw it named: “U.S.S. Virginia” on DeviantArt and as for the Rhode Island I think it was given to that crazy design that had a sextuple turret wielding one. You are right though, the Tillmans never officially received any names and their names are up for speculation. 

[DISST]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,031 posts
On 11/15/2019 at 12:28 AM, USM_Valor said:

I actually forgot about the Kearsarge, thank you for reminding me.

Yeah the kearsarge and alabama were named as a pair after the two ships that fought off cherbourg in the American civil war... supposedly they bore matching plates affixed somewhere on the superstructure  commemorating this .  My quote did not pick up the bit about the previous ships that I was trying to get.

Developers
79 posts
182 battles

BTW there's already a ship named Cimarron in the game — non-playable transport ship for Operations :)

With a mod that shows all ships in tech trees you may be able to find her.

Members
10 posts
1,819 battles
14 hours ago, Ryuu_kun said:

BTW there's already a ship named Cimarron in the game — non-playable transport ship for Operations :)

With a mod that shows all ships in tech trees you may be able to find her.

Really? I didn’t notice.

Developers
79 posts
182 battles
2 hours ago, USM_Valor said:

Really? I didn’t notice.

Cimarron, Liberty and St. Clair are auxiliary vessels in Operations. They usually have descriptive names, so real names are rarely seen.

Historical prototype: https://wiki.wargaming.net/ru/Navy:USS_Cimarron_(1939)