Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
X15

Returning player's thoughts

3 comments in this topic

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,156 posts
6,629 battles

I haven't played seriously for nearly two years for a variety of reasons. Came back with a lot of encouragement, here's what stood out to me:

The sound has improved massively, hearing my ship clunk and chug is strangely immersive.

Subs? Really? I'm excited. Never say never.

Tier 8 is fun again. And not in a masochistic "fighting tier 10s gives more xp and skill" way. And this may be what keeps me in the game. Tier 8 has many of the most fun and unique ships, with the greatest spread of possibility and power against and beside you. A great many of the ships I have to grind are there, so I can have fun and progress at the same time. Unlike tier ten which was and is fun but bleeds cash and doesn't get you towards your next boat.

Along those lines I also love the legendary modules. Having a goal for my tier tens makes playing them better.

The new control system for CVs looks amazing but: (Rant warning) CVs traded overwhelming power for overwhelming irritation and boredom for everyone involved. I would say this is a product of poorly crafted risk and reward. Actions taken in and against a carrier don't feel like gameplay, they feel like an obligation. Priority sector is, in my opinion, a direct downgrade from no AA control whatsoever. An intrusive mini-game that doesn't (to me) give any meaningful reward. Doing well in a CV doesn't feel like outplaying anyone, and getting rekt by AA doesn't present you with anything to change or try differently. It's either a bad choice to move on a target or a good one. RNG makes it inconsistent but that inconsistency is itself completely consistent and thus boring as unexpected bad traffic. I suggest making AA and alpha strike potental incredibly strong but adding clouds and altitude options for the CV pilot and ship captains to exploit. Make positioning meaningful and helpful, both for the CV creating the perfect storm, and the low HP DD with one guy and a pistol who's trying to hide.

So many new lines! And I feel interested in them. Good job WG. RIP my smug contentment in having "lots" of tier 10s.

The model desk port is my happy place and whoever made that deserves a prize. Thank you. I especially love the wood container ship.

I really like the team battle royal concept for the Halloween event. I don't like that I know exactly where and when everything spawns after three games. I'd love to see an event focused on the PvP aspect of this, preferably with our own ships.

Why do steel and coal take so long to accumulate and why is there so much unique stuff locked behind it? Why is coal in particular just a glorified difficult login reward? I greatly prefer collections and campaigns where doing more than hitting the keyboard with my face matters.

Speaking of hitting the keyboard with my face. Why would any sane person sit down and say: "Hmm yes let's see now, we want to reward dedicated players who have sold thousands of hours of their lives to us and ground up the tiers... By making them do it again. Yes, that's what will attract people who want a *new* or *greater* challenge that hinges on their previous hard work. And just to make sure they spent all their money we'll make them pay off the sale depreciation of their prized collection too." I may have answered my own question there. Shame on you WG. "The exact same game again but numerically harder!" is already pedestrian, you didn't even go that far. I can't express how disappointed I am in this "reward" (read: milk and punish) system.

Thank you for your time.

• Cool 6

Beta Testers
2,855 posts
9,043 battles

A lot of players like the feeling of progression but either don't like new lines or are like me where they've played nearly every ship in the game and every tech tree ship and they don't feel like they should play lower tiers unless there is some incentive to do so, so the research borough exists. There are many missions and event modes to do, legendary modules to grind. RB is one of the best additions so far since it breaks the monotony and lets me choose which line to play in order to get the currency.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,196 battles
1 hour ago, X15 said:

The new control system for CVs looks amazing but: (Rant warning) CVs traded overwhelming power for overwhelming irritation and boredom for everyone involved. I would say this is a product of poorly crafted risk and reward. Actions taken in and against a carrier don't feel like gameplay, they feel like an obligation. Priority sector is, in my opinion, a direct downgrade from no AA control whatsoever. An intrusive mini-game that doesn't (to me) give any meaningful reward. Doing well in a CV doesn't feel like outplaying anyone, and getting rekt by AA doesn't present you with anything to change or try differently. It's either a bad choice to move on a target or a good one. RNG makes it inconsistent but that inconsistency is itself completely consistent and thus boring as unexpected bad traffic. I suggest making AA and alpha strike potental incredibly strong but adding clouds and altitude options for the CV pilot and ship captains to exploit. Make positioning meaningful and helpful, both for the CV creating the perfect storm, and the low HP DD with one guy and a pistol who's trying to hide.

To be honest, I feel using islands to block AA and dodging flak clouds to not die horribly a pretty interesting set of mechanics as it is. As for sector, if someone uses it and you get on the other side of them, suddenly their AA is debuffed rather than buffed. While it's not ideal, I feel it's as complicated as they are going to be willing to go. I'd prefer to have more of a skill aspect to AA, but it is what it is. If they remove slingshotting, I'd be fairly happy with where CVs vs AA are currently at.

As for outplaying or not, that depends on what weapon you're using and what you're attacking. Landing 40 (or 35 if you're a masochist) knot torps on a full speed DD is about as much of a skill shot as the game has. Likewise, if the enemy gives you an optimal target, such as broadside for torps and HVAR or bow/stern on for... almost anything else outside of the ability to use AP bombs for trick shots on a ship's side, you're going to do some nasty damage. CV vs surface is as complicated as your target makes it, more or less. Not to mention that getting off attacks on severe AA threats (Worcestor, Minotaur, etc.) to be extremely difficult by T10.

As for alpha, I'd feel it could never be balanced without defeating the point of the rework if they made it harder to use to balance it out. I and anyone worth their salt would be better than fine, but the entire point of the rework was reducing the skill gap in CVs. CVs had a silly broken amount of ability to carry. Now they don't, no matter if people still act like they are RTS CVs at times with their expectations of fighter support. 

My main gripes (aside from slingshotting to skip AA, as it's a stupid exploit no matter what WG says) center around the fighters. It's so rare that fighters are of much use that, more often than not, you might as well not bother aside from the opening minutes. If I could make one wish pertaining to CV balance, it'd be an adjustment to fighters to make them worth bothering with, even if it meant keeping the horridness of slingshotting in. As things stand, fighters are more often a trap that reduces your effectiveness (rather than actually helping anyone) to bother placing them if you go out of your way for it rather than actually helping or even killing any planes, as it's really easy to not bumble into fighters.

For starters, give T4 CVs fighters. T6 fighters. T6 fighters are already too weak to really do much anyways, as 3 planes shot down isn't much unless you do it over and over, and T4 CVs really could use the AA protection it brings. T4 CVs basically don't exist to each other unless things get really hairy, forcing you to sacrifice planes to attack the CV directly.

Sorry to talk your ear off. Just had to argue the topic too many times to count since the CV rework started, and a few of your points reminded me of things I had to tell people about until the cows came home. I didn't intend to make a wall of text on a single point, especially as I have the flu (and thus probably make even less sense than usual), but it tends to happen if I talk.

Anyways, welcome back and enjoy the game! Hope to see you in battle!

Sign in to follow this