You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

What's with all the birds?

19 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,853 battles

So I guess wargaming tinkered with the ambient sounds again, because now we've got birds!  All sorts of birds.  Cawing, quacking, whatever it is birds do.

It seems like one good artillery shot would cause all the birds in the area to pipe down?  Could you even hear birds over the ambient noise of an active warship, assuming they weren't literally perched on your shoulder?  Maybe I shouldn't try to apply logic here, after all, this is a bird arcade game, not a bird simulation.

But I think there is room for improvement all the same.  A few humble suggestions:

1. Volume sliders for individual bird species, or at minimum, by genus.  I think those of the Pandionidae are a bit quiet as compared to the excessively noisy Anatidae.

2. Premium birds available to those in possession of premium accounts.  Logically this would be a chance to highlight the calls of endangered species.  Who wouldn't be willing to pay an extra $15 per month if they knew they'd get to hear the mournful cry of the Black-naped pheasant-pigeon as they sailed into battle?

3. A special chain of directives, the completion of which would allow the player to fly the flag of the National Audubon Society.

4. Special "duckblind" camo.

5. A rework of the sector AA system allowing the player to direct AA guns to the task of bird suppression at the expense of efficiency against aircraft.

What say you, Wargaming?  it seems like you've got a good start but it's time to see this thing to its logical conclusion.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

The way I remember it, albatross was a ship's good luck 'til some idiot killed it.

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,156 posts
6,629 battles

In another more earthly inclined WG title one can purchase a specific fishing bird to perch on their superstructure through thick and thin. Maybe we could pay for a trained companion to scare off the less desirable species.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,655 posts

1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

So I guess wargaming tinkered with the ambient sounds again, because now we've got birds!  All sorts of birds.  Cawing, quacking, whatever it is birds do.

The first time I took out a CV after the last patch I thought my planes must have turned into gliders because I never before heard bird calls and the gentle lapping of waves while flying behind a 2000 horsepower unmuffled engine at fifteen thousand feet.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
1 hour ago, X15 said:

In another more earthly inclined WG title one can purchase a specific fishing bird to perch on their superstructure through thick and thin. Maybe we could pay for a trained companion to scare off the less desirable species.

Already exists for one ship!

image.thumb.png.f1e3ac4835d2f390afac8d1afe04a11a.png

We're gonna need a bigger perch...

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts

I was once on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean and a robin of all things landed on the balcony rail.  Not near a port, many miles from the next island.  We had a "sea day", meaning the whole day was dedicated to getting to the next location. No idea what that thing was doing that far out with nowhere to land.

I gave it a french fry.

• Funny 1

[WOLFC]
Members
2,879 posts
16,337 battles
5 hours ago, AriochIV said:

It is a little bit annoying. 

Someone mentioned hearing ducks yesterday ... never bothered me though.  I turned the engine sounds all the way off and ambient down to about 20% ...

... now I can hear the guns and voice messages much clearer without all the noise.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,458 posts
6,514 battles

For sure...... Since last patch  Flying a plane squadron over an island @ 10K ft sounds like a pleasant stroll through an exotic aviary..   My pilots enjoy it so much they must turn the engines off so they can hear it more clearly.   

Members
6,858 posts
15,357 battles
1 hour ago, DocWalker said:

Someone mentioned hearing ducks yesterday ... never bothered me though.  I turned the engine sounds all the way off and ambient down to about 20% ...

... now I can hear the guns and voice messages much clearer without all the noise.

My apologies, I'll be quieter 

• Funny 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,578 posts
39 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Just need to scratch their head and then they shutup.

20191108_211436.jpg

Useless fact. See those little white quill looking things on it's head?  Those are new feathers coming in, they grow out wrapped in that quill casing and they itch.  Of course they can't reach the ones on their own head with their beak.

If they have a mate, the mate will chew them off for them just leaving the new feather behind. If they don't because they are captive, they want their head scratched so you will get them off.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles
11 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Premium birds available to those in possession of premium accounts.  Logically this would be a chance to highlight the calls of endangered species.  Who wouldn't be willing to pay an extra $15 per month if they knew they'd get to hear the mournful cry of the Black-naped pheasant-pigeon as they sailed into battle?

Why stop there? WG can release ships that have never been built, what about birds that have never been heard by anyone living today?

Perhaps the cry of the Dodo, or the coo of the Passenger Pigeon, could be used to flesh out RB rewards!

[HINON]
Members
13,272 posts
16 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Useless fact. See those little white quill looking things on it's head?  Those are new feathers coming in, they grow out wrapped in that quill casing and they itch.  Of course they can't reach the ones on their own head with their beak.

If they have a mate, the mate will chew them off for them just leaving the new feather behind. If they don't because they are captive, they want their head scratched so you will get them off.

Yep, pin feathers are very irritating to them.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles

On a related note about game environment, I've theorised about something else.

When you see those neutral planes flying around, what nationality are they?

Whose ships are often complained about as being OP?

Coincidence? I think not. It's obvious to me that these Russian "neutral" planes are providing spotting info to Russian ships!

How insidiously clever is WG!!

• Funny 1

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,853 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Why stop there? WG can release ships that have never been built, what about birds that have never been heard by anyone living today?

Perhaps the cry of the Dodo, or the coo of the Passenger Pigeon, could be used to flesh out RB rewards!

ugh I am so sick of Wargaming releasing paper birds.  Just because they found some old fossil somewhere does not mean it belongs in the game alongside of REAL birds that are ACTUALLY FLYING now.

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
291 posts
2,804 battles

Funny really.  First time I heard the "birds" and it really registered.  It was so unexpected that I had to get up and go check on my hens :Smile_teethhappy:

I thought maybe a possum or raccoon had gotten to them.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles
7 minutes ago, Duma said:

Funny really.  First time I heard the "birds" and it really registered.  It was so unexpected that I had to get up and go check on my hens :Smile_teethhappy:

I thought maybe a possum or raccoon had gotten to them.

Lol playing Fallout 4, when Dogmeat finds something, or Mad Max, when Dinki-Di smells a landmine, gets my dogs growling and checking all the windows, then scratching at the door to go out back and check the yard for interloping canines......

• Funny 1