You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bricktop13

Hard to have fun lately

72 comments in this topic

Members
15 posts
4,711 battles

Seems like its harder and harder to have fun in this game.  I would say about 1 out of every 5 games I actually enjoy.  I either get HE spammed to death by a harugumo or smolensk, or torp spammed to death by a benham.  Why is WG making ships that are so powerful but take so little skill to actually be successful with?  Might just have to take a break for awhile.  Actually, I usually play for a few days, get ridiculously frustrated, quit for a few days and then come back hoping I can somehow get some enjoyment out of it lol.  

• Cool 12
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 3

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles

Go back down to lower tiers for a while, or play some co-op to bask in the incredibly high and motivating win rate. T6 might occasionally see an Akizuki, but you will never see Benham, Smolensk, or any supercruiser.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
5 minutes ago, Bricktop13 said:

Actually, I usually play for a few days, get ridiculously frustrated, quit for a few days and then come back hoping I can somehow get some enjoyment out of it lol.  

Yeah, that's the sign of a quality made product.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,148 battles
35 minutes ago, Bricktop13 said:

Seems like its harder and harder to have fun in this game.  I would say about 1 out of every 5 games I actually enjoy.  I either get HE spammed to death by a harugumo or smolensk, or torp spammed to death by a benham.  Why is WG making ships that are so powerful but take so little skill to actually be successful with?  Might just have to take a break for awhile.  Actually, I usually play for a few days, get ridiculously frustrated, quit for a few days and then come back hoping I can somehow get some enjoyment out of it lol.  

So you're getting beat by one-trick ponies?  Do you happen to sail in straight lines, and firing your guns when you should probably go dark?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 4

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
38 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Go back down to lower tiers for a while, or play some co-op to bask in the incredibly high and motivating win rate. T6 might occasionally see an Akizuki, but you will never see Benham, Smolensk, or any supercruiser.

Even T7 is ok. It seems that only T10 battles feature a constant stream of evaporating ships lol.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
36 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Yeah, that's the sign of a quality made product.

I think part of the problem is that, since the game at any one tier can't cater to both (semi) casual and competitive, it seems like they're trying to please both, at different tier levels.

• Cool 2

Members
1,354 posts
1,286 battles
7 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

So you're getting beat by one-trick ponies?  Do you happen to sail in straight lines, and firing your guns when you should probably go dark?

Right, as if turning your ship is a viable counter to smoked up rapid firing HE spam.

• Cool 7
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,876 battles

The problem is not the other ships, is you playing bad in high tiers.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 4

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Even T7 is ok.

My experience is that T7 is seeing a lot of T9 these days, and since the OP quoted a nasty allergic reaction to Benham I thought it better to recommend something that would keep him away from it.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
7 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

Doesn't really matter. If that's what the majority of players do, the majority of players are going to dislike high tiers.

I've come to a similar point. (and no, I don't sail in straight lines, and am cognisant of the need to not shoot at times)

Problem is, I'm a semi-casual player, so I make mistakes. In high tiers, a single mistake can be game-ending.

Having said that, I'm mostly ok with that. I'm (mostly) not bothered by having to stay in mid tiers to get the type of gameplay I usually prefer. I don't need to play T8-10 ships to enjoy the game. (although there are a couple I try to play once in awhile)

The OP's problem is that he wants mid-tier gameplay, with high-tier ships.

It became the same thing in WoT after a couple years, except that (at least when I played) there was nowhere near the incentive to play high tier that WoWS has.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My experience is that T7 is seeing a lot of T9 these days, and since the OP quoted a nasty allergic reaction to Benham I thought it better to recommend something that would keep him away from it.

Fair enough. I find T9 to have a taste of T10 gameplay, but T9 matches don't usually have near as many T9s as a T10 match has T10s.

Members
279 posts
1,259 battles

I'm going to repeat this in many threads with the delusion it will sink in.....

If you are a random solo player you are going to be stuck around 50% win rate. Usally a bit less like 45% to 48%. If you play in constant divisions with skilled players it's around 60%. Regardless of either you will lose a lot of battles. So getting frustrated with win rate is a waste of energy. 

As far as the scale of difficulty as you move up tiers, what did you expect? Of course ships are going to be crazy powerful, especially if you are a tier 8 and get tossed into a tier 9,10 match. 

Be aware overall. If you get up tiered then be extra cautious of postion, and selective of your shots. Especially early in the match when there could be 4+ ships ready to fire the moment you do. There is plenty more helpful information but the rest you can research and learn from practice.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,858 battles
1 hour ago, Bricktop13 said:

Fun and customer satisfaction are not on WGs radar … the sooner you accept this, the better 

You will be frustrated, balanced and nerfed until your wallet is empty :)

Edited by Commander_367
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Members
30 posts
3,610 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles
19 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Fun and customer satisfaction are not on WGs radar

That's odd. I seem to be having fun and am satisfied. Maybe WG is not the problem.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,858 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's odd. I seem to be having fun and am satisfied. Maybe WG is not the problem.

That's because you work for WG :)

Everybody knows game play has gotten worse, even the CCs

Edited by Commander_367
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,148 battles
51 minutes ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

Right, as if turning your ship is a viable counter to smoked up rapid firing HE spam.

No but it sure works against torpedo soup.  The HE spam is where you go dark as quickly as you can, and reposition.

Cause he wasn't just complaining about HE spam, he also complained about Benham torpedo spam.

EDIT: But WSAD hax does have some success against long range HE spam.  Harder to do in a BB, I admit.  But doable in a cruiser and destroyer.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,148 battles
30 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

Fun and customer satisfaction are not on WGs radar … the sooner you accept this, the better 

You will be frustrated, balanced and nerfed until your wallet is empty :)

I'm having fun.  Sure, there is frustration at times.  But generally it's not balancing issues..

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
50 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I think part of the problem is that, since the game at any one tier can't cater to both (semi) casual and competitive, it seems like they're trying to please both, at different tier levels.

My comment was directed at the nature that a common (not universal, but common) complaint is that players get rapidly frustrated, regardless of tier, and 'take breaks' (a day, a week, a month, whatever) and then return, but not just return, crucially return hoping something has improved or changed (and of course it doesn't). I play all sorts of games, have done for decades, haven't ever heard of THAT reaction or behavior before. Not only did I not generally see the frustration as described (or experienced) in say, TF2 or Starcraft, I also generally never heard of someone needing to take a break and then hoping said break allowed for time to change the 'meta' game. It is a unique quality in WGing products, and not, I feel, a sign of quality.

• Cool 2

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,724 posts
11,706 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

any supercruiser

T6 has it's very own super cruiser: Graf Spee...

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,858 battles
5 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

I'm having fun.  Sure, there is frustration at times.  But generally it's not balancing issues..

I lied, I'm actually looking forward to subs … but for all the wrong reasons 

I like a good train wreck

Edited by Commander_367
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,148 battles
Just now, Commander_367 said:

I lied, I'm actually looking forward to subs … but for all the wrong reasons 

Not sure there are any wrong reasons to look forward to subs.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles
1 minute ago, Crokodone said:

T6 has it's very own super cruiser: Graf Spee...

That one has issues which keep it in check. It's not the fastest, the rate of fire with only two turrets hampers its utility against destroyers, and same-tier cruisers can citadel it if it shows a careless broadside.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,148 battles
2 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

+1 for train wrecks in that case :)

I wonder how many subs in the first few months will die due to running out of air. :P

And how many games will be won or lost with the remaining player being a sub hidden in A1.

• Funny 1