Lane Markings

7 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

A new video by The History Guy.

In the small town in which I live, to say that the road rules are "casual" is an understatement. Half of the vehicles are parked the wrong way. If you want to want to head back south when angled to the north while parked at the post office you just back up until you are in the other lane. If you want to stop and talk to someone you do and let the traffic go around you as it can.

When I was growing up there was an old dog that spent its days sleeping right in the middle of main street. For ten years people just drove around it.  Once, during Halloween, back when kids did such things, we thought we'd move a grain augur out into the street to block traffic. People just drove around it. It wasn't until the next harvest season that the farmer bothered to hitch the augur up and move it away.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

In the small town in which I live, to say that the road rules are "casual" is an understatement. Half of the vehicles are parked the wrong way. If you want to want to head back south when angled to the north while parked at the post office you just back up until you are in the other lane. If you want to stop and talk to someone you do and let the traffic go around you as it can.

When I was growing up there was an old dog that spent its days sleeping right in the middle of main street. For ten years people just drove around it.  Once, during Halloween, back when kids did such things, we thought we'd move a grain augur out into the street to block traffic. People just drove around it. It wasn't until the next harvest season that the farmer bothered to hitch the augur up and move it away.

You see that a lot in residential areas in cities & towns of any size and while illegal the cops mostly let it go. In larger places the post office is likely on a very busy street so that would never fly.

Now if kids did that they would be charged with a felony.

When I was stationed in England in the late 1970's the Brits only marked lanes of first and second class roads. On third class aka farm roads they only marked the first hundred yards or so from a first or second class road.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
On 11/14/2019 at 8:39 AM, BrushWolf said:
24 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:
When I was stationed in England in the late 1970's the Brits only marked lanes of first and second class roads. On third class aka farm roads they only marked the first hundred yards or so from a first or second class road.

Other than the three highways that cross through the county (one a state highway and the other two country highways), most all of the other roads here are dirt (there are a couple of paved side roads going to agricultural or gas facilities). One road is just a two-rut path because it runs through the grassland. Of course, it has no lane markings but it does have a sign designating it as county road number 1.

image.thumb.png.6342f0cd5f7d43d3be84526cde89ab02.png

Community Department
3,314 posts
1,300 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Wow, that last post really glitched out and it won't allow me to edit.

You may report such forum bugs to me directly or via reports. I'll take care.