Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tzarevitch

Opinion of Kitikaze

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

653
[NUWES]
Members
3,133 posts
10,692 battles

What are people's honest opinions on Kitikaze? I've been going at it for about a week now with some of the most dismal DD games I've had in years and I'm about ready to give up.  I'm trying to finish off some of the lines that I had not completed and I am working on the IJN gunboat line, but I am having a terrible time with Kitikaze. It is basically a faster Akizuki, but it feels worse somehow. It has middling speed, its acceleration is slow, and its agility is quite poor. The guns are nice like Aki but it feels like opponent's armor got thicker on T9. The ship feels great when opponents have to push into you, but is feels terrible if you have to do the pushing into a cap or islands due to middling concealment, large size, poor agility, poor acceleration, poor maneuverability and middling speed. It plays like a really tiny cruiser rather than a DD but you still have to perform the DD roles somehow with her. 

For those who like her, how do you play her? What do you do to make this thing work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
406
[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
17,743 battles

IFHE helps a lot. Here is an old video I made. It was my second game in the ship. But I think it illustrates some of the strengths of the ship. I generally try to stay alive and deal damage to targets of opportunity. Mid to late game that rate of fire is devastating. And as the video shows, if you catch a torpedo-reliant DD in open water, it really is no contest. Also makes a great HE spammer, lighting fire after fire on BBs. If you can smoke up and let others spot for a minute, you can burn a lot of things down.

I have come to really enjoy the ship. I hope you find your way to fun with it!

Respects,

Am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[TNG-2]
Members
203 posts
14,166 battles

She's probably the best destroyer in the game (okay, maybe Daring and Kleber give her a run for her money, but seriously, best tier 9).  You need Speed boost special module to extend speed boost from 2 to 3 minutes.  You should take acceleration module as well as concealment module.  You need a 14 point commander minimum.  I guess IFHE is technically optional now, but I still take it, along with standard DD first 10 points (see flamu/flambass/mejash/notser if you have questions on first 10 point build on DD).  I recommend BFT for points 15-17 and AR for last 2 points.

The number 1 key is DO NOT SIT IN SMOKE if you're contesting a CAP early in the traditional DD roll.  Your slow acceleration will get you killed by torps.  You outgun just about all DDs at tier 9, you are a DD hunter killer first... THEN you're a CAPer, LASTLY you're a damage farmer.  Do it in that order, and you'll win games.  I see a lot of Harugumo's and Kitakaze's sitting back and trying to farm damage... and we lose those games.  You're made to kill DDs, be sneaky, get in there, and kill some poor Yugumo's, Z-46's, Fletchers, Jutlands and over zealous Mogadors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
288
[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
990 posts

IFHE is a def staple . She really get the hurt going then.  Also remember you have torpedo reload boost . Making a torp run in a general direction if an enemy boat a relatively pleasure . Think ahead ......wayyyyy ahead of the curve . Yes she's a big girl and slow on the move.  But a def menace for sure.

GL m8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,601
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,578 posts
15,666 battles

Don't have her myself but seen where it ruled caps in the Ranked mode. The Fletcher which I do have which does good in Random, suffered in Ranked. I think the Kitakaze and Fletcher have the same detection. Once they both spotted each other. The Kit would win most of the time by sheer gun fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
653
[NUWES]
Members
3,133 posts
10,692 battles
39 minutes ago, Heed_04 said:

She's probably the best destroyer in the game (okay, maybe Daring and Kleber give her a run for her money, but seriously, best tier 9).  You need Speed boost special module to extend speed boost from 2 to 3 minutes.  You should take acceleration module as well as concealment module.  You need a 14 point commander minimum.  I guess IFHE is technically optional now, but I still take it, along with standard DD first 10 points (see flamu/flambass/mejash/notser if you have questions on first 10 point build on DD).  I recommend BFT for points 15-17 and AR for last 2 points.

The number 1 key is DO NOT SIT IN SMOKE if you're contesting a CAP early in the traditional DD roll.  Your slow acceleration will get you killed by torps.  You outgun just about all DDs at tier 9, you are a DD hunter killer first... THEN you're a CAPer, LASTLY you're a damage farmer.  Do it in that order, and you'll win games.  I see a lot of Harugumo's and Kitakaze's sitting back and trying to farm damage... and we lose those games.  You're made to kill DDs, be sneaky, get in there, and kill some poor Yugumo's, Z-46's, Fletchers, Jutlands and over zealous Mogadors.

It is probably not helping that I only have a 10 point commander for her. Her slow acceleration has gotten me killed by torps a couple of times before I switched to the acceleration module. Her agility isn't great but the acceleration without it is terrible. It can't accel fast enough to avoid torps. I'll have to change to the module to extend the speed boost as well as you suggested. That may help.

Yugumo and Z haven't been problems for me, assuming the Yugumo is dumb enough to let me spot him. Fletcher and Jutland have both been issues because they are agile enough to turn out immediately and fall back off detection without smoking. If I fire at them they take some damage that leaves me waiting out their detection window with their cruisers and BBs firing at me. CLs can definitely get 2 salvos in before Kitakaze turns around to disengage. Even if I smoke to cover my turn I tend to eat a couple of salvos because it is so big and slow to turn (plus she bleeds a lot of speed in turns)... Now that I think about it, I am probably better off not firing in those situations. I'm used to Mogador's big shells and high speed where you can chunk off a lot of health in one salvo and speed away. Kitikaze needs sustained fire. A salvo or two before his minimizes his profile and hides again is probably not worth the time it takes to fall off of detection after firing. 

I'll have to try again with some of the suggestions people have made. I appreciate them, but this ship is really frustrating me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,357
[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
32 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Kitakaze is the most overpowered ship in game right now.

literal next game:

 

image.thumb.png.9dc30f038f0bf1607b57cd218619aadf.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,118
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,443 posts
6,495 battles
1 hour ago, Tzarevitch said:

What are people's honest opinions on Kitikaze? I've been going at it for about a week now with some of the most dismal DD games I've had in years and I'm about ready to give up.  I'm trying to finish off some of the lines that I had not completed and I am working on the IJN gunboat line, but I am having a terrible time with Kitikaze. It is basically a faster Akizuki, but it feels worse somehow. It has middling speed, its acceleration is slow, and its agility is quite poor. The guns are nice like Aki but it feels like opponent's armor got thicker on T9. The ship feels great when opponents have to push into you, but is feels terrible if you have to do the pushing into a cap or islands due to middling concealment, large size, poor agility, poor acceleration, poor maneuverability and middling speed. It plays like a really tiny cruiser rather than a DD but you still have to perform the DD roles somehow with her. 

For those who like her, how do you play her? What do you do to make this thing work? 

LOL.... Just started with Kiti a few days ago myself...   After 8 games in it I haven't a clue..  would have thought it would have just played like a bigger Akizuki, which I started to feel comfortable in at the end of that grind.   I'm really not very good in DDs,   Kit feels powerful to me, I think my biggest issue is i can't be as aggressive as i was in the smaller dds...it turns like a barge.    Its going to take some time, and truthfully i struggle in T10 matches anyway honestly   Any mistake against T10 ships is usually a quick ugly death.    Almost feels like it plays a lot more like  alight cruiser than a dd

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,488
[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,378 posts
9,726 battles

With its concealment, damage output with IFHE, and lack of full pens compared to its successor, its blatantly better than Harugumo.  I potatoed in mine when the line first came out and had no clue how to really play DDs, but its probably OP.

It wouldn't shock me even in the least if it gets nerfed in RoF or even concealment to match her younger sister Akizuki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,357
[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
5 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

It is probably not helping that I only have a 10 point commander for her. Her slow acceleration has gotten me killed by torps a couple of times before I switched to the acceleration module. Her agility isn't great but the acceleration without it is terrible. It can't accel fast enough to avoid torps. I'll have to change to the module to extend the speed boost as well as you suggested. That may help.

Yugumo and Z haven't been problems for me, assuming the Yugumo is dumb enough to let me spot him. Fletcher and Jutland have both been issues because they are agile enough to turn out immediately and fall back off detection without smoking. If I fire at them they take some damage that leaves me waiting out their detection window with their cruisers and BBs firing at me. CLs can definitely get 2 salvos in before Kitakaze turns around to disengage. Even if I smoke to cover my turn I tend to eat a couple of salvos because it is so big and slow to turn (plus she bleeds a lot of speed in turns)... Now that I think about it, I am probably better off not firing in those situations. I'm used to Mogador's big shells and high speed where you can chunk off a lot of health in one salvo and speed away. Kitikaze needs sustained fire. A salvo or two before his minimizes his profile and hides again is probably not worth the time it takes to fall off of detection after firing. 

I'll have to try again with some of the suggestions people have made. I appreciate them, but this ship is really frustrating me. 

 

OK. If you have 10 points, you probably want this captain:

PT, LS, SE, and IFHE. I probably would recommend IFHE over CE as your dpm is massively improved by it. And CE is less helpful because in a gunfight you are clumsy, so if you don't win immediately you die. CE gives you false hope that you are as maneuverable/stealthy as other dds, which you aren't.

You aren't really a great capping dd. The way you cap is you provide a huge zone where you win the map and then can easily cap. You want to abuse any ship that pushes into you (which you can) and if any dd on the red team is spotted/radared, you melt them. But melt them safely - you are clumsy and liable to just die to a gunfight or torps.

If someone pushes into you and you can smoke/spam them, you can deal monstrous damage. 

image.png.d447b29855fc9e5a51f5104c9984f9f2.png

Note that this is my captain, because I'm confident enough to run without Last Stand/Priority Target. I do not recommend this unless you are very proficient in destroyers.

image.thumb.png.2346008f8edf6f63c9d8c55218744c7d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,765
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,624 battles

IFHE won’t save you if you’re having trouble now. Lean what the 2 key is for and put yourself in positions to use it.

Make good use of the torpedoes. Don’t take the torpedo captain skills, but for some reason the Kitty and Gumo are fantastic torpedo boats when I play them. Learn how to use wide spreads for maximum effect. 1 hit is better than 12 misses because you stacked your launchers like you’re playing T4.

Dont be afraid to not shoot and spot if that’s what’s needed at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
249
[DAS]
Members
971 posts
8,145 battles

I don't think getting into knife fights with red DDs early on is the best way to go when you play the Kitikaze.

I would recommend staying further back so you can rain fire down on enemy BBs (and other targets of opportunity) from relative safety.

Mid to late game you can start pushing in because there are less reds to fire at you when you get detected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
333 posts
16,299 battles
2 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

The ship feels great when opponents have to push into you, but is feels terrible if you have to do the pushing into a cap or islands due to middling concealment, large size, poor agility, poor acceleration, poor maneuverability and middling speed.

Then you should make people push into you!

 

I mean, IFHE is important and the usual advice about avoiding radar is important. But this quote really stuck out to me. It seems like you know where the ship is strong, but aren't putting yourself in a position to take advantage of those strengths. Go to the weak flank and invite people into push into you (by not firing, not capping, and staying concealed). When they do, then you can punish them. 

2 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

For those who like her, how do you play her?

Like my minotaur. 

You're fragile as hell, so wait and position yourself for an opportunity ~10k away where you can't be focused by a ton of ships. Pop smoke, hammer enemy, retreat to safety, repeat. Nuke people foolish enough to rush you , harass enemies with slow firing/turning guns, and occasionally brawl up the late game versus weakened enemies.

Edited by Telastyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
441
[K0]
Members
1,755 posts
8,144 battles
2 hours ago, enderland07 said:

Kitakaze is the most overpowered ship in game right now.

This. She's too powerful to be left alive. WG could remove Harugumo right now and move Kitakaze to T10, and she would still need a concealment nerf to be balanced. Honestly I want that to happen because Harugumo reminds me of the Russian meme canoe and not in a good way.

If you've got 14 points for PM/PT, LS (or AR if you're that confident), SE/BFT, IFHE, and CE, then you're set. Don't get torped in your smoke and watch out for the usual radar/hydro/CV threats, and collect a minimum of 100k damage in every match that lasts more than 8 minutes.

Edited by Flashtirade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30
[CCREW]
Members
54 posts
1,903 battles

If you are in a Colorado and you come up against a Kitakaze you might as well quit the game. It melts light cruisers with it's super APHE 100mm Gattling cannons. And to top it off it gets Jap torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[TNG-2]
Members
203 posts
14,166 battles
3 hours ago, enderland07 said:

Kitakaze is the most overpowered ship in game right now.

Don't say that too loudly... I really don't want her nerfed ;-)  They already ruined Yueyang... weakened Jutland and Chung Mu... and introduced the French line.... which is the new Khaba... so lets leave Kita alone please...

Edited by Heed_04

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
851
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles
3 hours ago, CaliburxZero said:

It wouldn't shock me even in the least if it gets nerfed in RoF or even concealment to match her younger sister Akizuki.

Akizuki is older though. :Smile-_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,488
[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,378 posts
9,726 battles
46 minutes ago, grumpymunky said:

Akizuki is older though. :Smile-_tongue:

Ha.  Technically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,098
[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,915 posts
26,901 battles

Will soon be moved to the VMF techtree. Sekrit papers show, that she was a war booty found in a Chinese harbor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×