You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BarronRichthofen

Most annoying part of being "up-tiered"

11 comments in this topic

[DRHS]
Members
428 posts
19,999 battles

None of us like being up tiered but IMO the most annoying part of being up tiered is having MM select a map for the top tier ships when your bottom tier. At the lower tiers (2-5) this isn't too bad, but at T6 + it gets really annoying.  Some of the maps for Tier 8+ are just totaly inappropiate for tier 6 ships. Most of the Tier 6 ships have around 17km max range, and getting stuck on a map where you can spend the entire match running a full speed and rarely get into range of the enemy is, well, ANNOYING.

Wargaming should make a small but simple tweak to MM map selection. if 1/2 of the ships or more are of the bottom tier, make MM select a map approipate to that tier not the top tier ships. it would stop this run all match at tops speed and get nothing done [edited] that happens.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,412 posts
14,163 battles

For me it is being far out numbered by the higher tier ships.

Members
6,151 posts
9,801 battles

Not a bad idea, TBH. I temporarily stopped the NO regrind because holy cracks, the Tears of the Desert is just too massive for that cruiser's max range!

For a veteran w/ the credits and FXP to skip past ok, it's not too bad, but for someone who's new, ugh, it's very painful.

Members
279 posts
1,259 battles

If i remember right WGs advertised WoWs to have over a million players, maybe just WGs in general, anywho. ( NA server currently near 7k ). Why would we ever need to play against any more then 1 tier higher, if that? I get it helps speed up MM but i normally wait 0 to 90 seconds at any hour of the day to get into a match on any ship. I would be happy to add 30 seconds to that to avoid being tossed in a match with ships 2 tiers higher.

Shooting a ship 2 tiers higher is like chopping at an old stump. Getting shot by a ship 2 tiers higher is like a blade of grass being run over by a lawnmower. Add any cost you put into pre match ( camos, signal ) and you can add what its like to have that lawnmower chucking a rock at your leg.

I care less about the map, not sure how that matters, please explain? ( edit ) range is not an issue

Edited by Quor_Dresden

[WOLFG]
Members
28,931 posts
8,200 battles
8 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Not a bad idea, TBH. I temporarily stopped the NO regrind because holy cracks, the Tears of the Desert is just too massive for that cruiser's max range!

Colorado for me. I'd rebuy it in a heartbeat, except for getting stuck on high-tier maps. I can handle the slow speed on a mid-tier map.

• Cool 1

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,193 battles

I'm beginning to get used to being bottom tier most of the time, find I have a better chance of getting decent players on my team. Plus I like the extra credits and XP I get damaging and sinking higher level ships. Most maps are fine except 2 I find very challenging that have much more open water, less islands to hide behind. In my Wichita they are fine, but in my slow island hugging Boise not so much if I get spawned on the wrong side. Some of my best games have been in my Boise in div with a t8 with several t10 ships in game. Getting me ready for higher tier play someday. Just have to be extra cautious, a bit more passive early on. Plus it is fun to see the reaction of t10 players when a t7 sinks them....

Members
279 posts
1,259 battles
9 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I think its the increased XP and credit-earning...:Smile_hiding:

I think I might take scaling over increased xp and credits. Hard to earn anything if you are easy to destroy. Just some minor scaling to at least equal out the damage output and armor. Leave the HP alone. 

[WOLFG]
Members
28,931 posts
8,200 battles
7 minutes ago, Quor_Dresden said:

Shooting a ship 2 tiers higher is like chopping at an old stump. Getting shot by a ship 2 tiers higher is like a blade of grass being run over by a lawnmower. Add any cost you put into pre match ( camos, signal ) and you can add what its like to have that lawnmower chucking a rock at your leg.

All depends on the circumstances and ships involved. It doesn't matter with cruisers in most cases, they're fragile enough to get blapped by BBs their own tier or lower. More powerful BBs can't make you any deader. And you can burn/superstructure AP them just as well as cruisers their own tier. (although, I tend to favour longer-ranged cruisers that can open-water evade)

In most cases, the worst disadvantage is vs. ships of the same type. Those encounters just require thoughtful shooting and positioning. Against a different ship type, it's not a big difference.

I care less about the map, not sure how that matters, please explain?

The bigger the map, the farther away ships will be when the shooting starts. So you can end up in a case of not being able to shoot back by a pretty good margin.

Speed is also an issue for BBs. For those that have low-mid 20s for max speed, they can take forever to travel the longer distances required, and have less opportunity to change their minds about where they're going.

Members
279 posts
1,259 battles
16 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

All depends on the circumstances and ships involved. It doesn't matter with cruisers in most cases, they're fragile enough to get blapped by BBs their own tier or lower. More powerful BBs can't make you any deader. And you can burn/superstructure AP them just as well as cruisers their own tier. (although, I tend to favour longer-ranged cruisers that can open-water evade)

In most cases, the worst disadvantage is vs. ships of the same type. Those encounters just require thoughtful shooting and positioning. Against a different ship type, it's not a big difference.

The bigger the map, the farther away ships will be when the shooting starts. So you can end up in a case of not being able to shoot back by a pretty good margin.

Speed is also an issue for BBs. For those that have low-mid 20s for max speed, they can take forever to travel the longer distances required, and have less opportunity to change their minds about where they're going.

Range issues come up even in the same tier as each country has unique differences. Sure it gets worse if you end up against 2 tiers higher but the map dont make to much of a difference at that point. As you said, thoughtful shooting and positioning is required. Just be aware you are on a bigger map. I dont like small maps anyway. Kinda lame when I queue in a BB and my range at starting position can already reach past the bases. And thats for an 18km ship. They really need to give some focus to new maps and battle scenarios.

I still think its an easy MM fix. Add a few seconds to MM time, its not long anyway, and stop setting up matches that have more the 1 tier difference.  

Edited by Quor_Dresden

[DRHS]
Members
428 posts
19,999 battles

The main thing I was thinking here is slower BB's like the New Mexico and Colodaro. With a 21kt top speed and 17km and change range , it can be 6-10 min into a match before you even have a chance to fire back. That is really annoying, at least to me. Cruisers and DD's dont have it that bad but those american BB's UGH...