You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
bckstb_ferlyfe

Want help from unicums?? You could just try asking.

85 comments in this topic

Members
6,854 posts
15,276 battles

Some people seem to think unicums don't want to help people improve and are just unbearable egotists. And while some are, the majority of unicums that I interact with and play with are more than willing to help people out that are genuinely wanting help or advice. Like @Mirage357, I got to where I am completely because of people that were willing to help me out. 

The problem is that very few people want to improve at the game or they do not seem to be seeking advice or they are demanding way too much from a person. 

If someone is having trouble with a ship or a mechanic, too often they make a steamy rage post about it. That's just asking people to needle you further, myself included. However instead of creating a rage thread about, ie: banning radar and how stupid radar is, and instead asking how to contest a cap when facing radar and seeking help and advice, the response a person will get will be astronomically different. 

The next problem is that people sometimes immediately discount a unicums advice for some triviality. Too hard/they don't think it's possible/the unicum doesn't know anything etc. It's a persons choice to choose what advice they want to accept, but if you asked me how to play Mahan and get good consistent damage and I told you to stay at range on the side the enemy is pushing and gunboat them and you automatically say that the Mahan guns are garbage and that it isn't a gunboat because the gun arcs are terrible and that I'm wrong, then I'll probably ignore any further requests for advice from that person as they dont want to believe what I tell them has worked for me.  They might not be able to shoot the Mahan guns as accurately as me, but that doesn't discount that the advice I've given is correct and that if they are unable to do that, they aren't likely going to get good consistent damage with the torps. 

Don't discount a unicums skill. If you want advice from someone don't tell them that they are actually trash and can only win with friends or that win rate is all luck, etc. I'm not saying you can't do that, it's quite funny seeing some of the stuff people come up with, just don't expect good help or advice after that. 

When many unicums start complaining about the same thing, take notice. They spend a lot of thought on how to counter things. If they can't counter something, likely an average player won't be able to either. That being said, it likely affects unicums more than the average player. The average player has issues countering many things in the game and one more won't attract much attention from them, whereas only 1 or 2 things may cause a unicum issues so they take notice of those things. Many good players dislike smolensk and think it's bad for the game, but they do not think it is unable to be countered or that it has weaknesses. 

Excessive demands. If you ask a unicum to analyze every game you play or request something that takes way too much of their time, you won't get it. That's just simple, people won't give away their whole life to you. 

Don't verbally assume that they are an unresponsible 40yo nerd who lives in their moms basement and works at McDonald's some evenings. There might be some unicums like that (snek) but most everyone I know is either in university or quite accomplished professionally. and way too many unicum clans battle comms have toddlers in the background for everyone to be abstinate... 

Don't assume unicums must be cheating.  Players use their skill in very different ways. The vast majority of unicums think very very poorly of anyone using cheats and quite a lot of them even frown on modifications in game. You want to see a quick exit from a top level clan? Get found out that you are using cheats/hacks. 

So, if you see the above things happening and you think unicums are heartless scums with their responses, feel free to think that, it probably doesn't hurt their feelings one iota, their used to it and they are used to seeing rage posts and people disparage unicums regularly and actually relish those types of exchanges. However, if you genuinely want help and ask for it, I can nearly gaurentee you that a unicum or 2 will stop by and give you genuine help. If something doesn't seem to work for you, voice your concerns about why you have trouble with it and ask for clarification and they'll likely go through it with you. Ask if they'll go over your replay for you. I've done that several times for people. Some I've gotten too busy to go through, but I make an effort to do it when asked. 

Most of the unicums and unicum clans that frequent this forum will help you if you ask them. I know several of my clan mates have gone and helped out other clans in clan battles with their alts. Others coach players that ask for it. Others will give advice to those seeking it on the forums and reddit. I see this from the other top clans as well. 

So yeah, if you want help, you'll get it. If you don't want help and want to rage or disparage players better than you, feel free, but dont be surprised when it seems that there might be some fun had at your expense. 

Also, if you trust a unicum with an avian user name, that's completely your responsibility as they are likely just a dirty seal clubber with no knowledge of high tiers or tech tree ships and aren't worth the dirty handkerchief they use to wipe their neckbeard with after mommy brings them their snacks in the basement. 

• Cool 25
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 5

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,430 posts
6,475 battles

tumblr_mdr1w9pcCz1qifa2a.gif

[WOLFG]
Members
28,899 posts
8,143 battles

Should I go vegan, keto, or paleo......

....oh, you meant questions about WoWS, didn't you?

• Funny 2

[O7]
Members
729 posts
20,496 battles

Ducky with a constructive post.  Let's see how long it takes the trolls to start pitching a tent and going to town.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[O7]
Members
729 posts
20,496 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

Keto works wonders, provided you have the requisite discipline.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,899 posts
8,143 battles
2 minutes ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

Keto works wonders, provided you have the requisite discipline.

Right then, I guess that's out lol.

I am semi-seriously considering vegan though, watched a documentary called Changing the Game, and it was kind of eye-opening....

[WOLFG]
Members
28,899 posts
8,143 battles
6 minutes ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

Ducky with a constructive post.  Let's see how long it takes the trolls to start pitching a tent and going to town.

Wonder how many of those trolls will actually read it first.....

I'm not so much a troll, as a philanthropist who deals in non-sequiturs.

[SYN]
Members
134 posts
1,339 battles

I wouldn't mind a little extra help, haven't been able to get on recently and will admit im starting to get a little rusty, been at a 54% WR for quite some time and wondering how i can improve. also know how im needing to re-learn some ship reloads after trying to disengage a couple times and getting my side slapped

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,548 battles

I'm not a hardcore player. I stick to co-op, and I'm not even particularly good at that. But I do hang around theses forums a bit, mostly for entertainment, but I also pick up a pretty helpful tidbit of info here and there. I really don't get all the excitement about the purps. People either hate em, or love em. I don't get it. There are people who put forth the time and effort to "get gud". Some are just naturally gifted. In every single aspect of your life there are things people are better at. Unicums are better at this game then I am. (so are a lot of other colors but I'll stick to the topic). Lots of people do lots of things better than me. Hell, technically speaking a pro athlete even breathes better than I do. Do I hate them? Of course not. Do I worship them? Of course not. I acknowledge they have skills I don't and move on with my day. Every unicum is not evil personified, nor are they all saints. They are just people who happen to be better than the rest of us at a game. Some are great people who go out of their way to help the community. Some are jerks. Just like everyone else. If you aspire to be one of the illustrious purps, put in the time and effort they did. Ask them for advice. Some will help, some will tell you to piss off. 

Everything in these forums seems to be trending negative, with a few exceptions. "Potatoes are ruining the game", "Unicums are ruining the game", "CV's are ruining the game", "Subs are gonna ruin the game"....Based on the forums unless you play one of the 3 standard ship types at an average skill level, you're ruining the game. Stop worrying about everyone else and just enjoy the damn game. Because at the end of the day, that's all it is, a game.

• Cool 3

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,548 battles
17 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I am semi-seriously considering vegan though, watched a documentary called Changing the Game, and it was kind of eye-opening....

Plant based, not necessarily full vegan. But yeah, an eye opener for sure

Members
6,854 posts
15,276 battles
23 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Whatever gets you eating the most venison, duck, goose, and upland game. 

Members
2,030 posts
16,897 battles

The main point of my original application to my clan after being in leadership in a mid level clan "I wanna get better, yall can help me get better, can I join?"

Nearly two years later I am vastly better than I was or otherwise would be now. Most unicums start out mediocre at best and learn with the help of others, and the best are as good as they are because they never stop trying to get better. I have no shame going to other players and asking how they are managing the results they are or bouncing ideas, and I don't mind helping those who ask me either. A lot of us literally have nothing better to do in WoWs at this point.

Members
6,854 posts
15,276 battles
15 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

how do i play cvs

i get cancer every time and the chemo is expensive :fish_boom:

You focus dds and only dds. You force them to have fun until the complaining and data make WG nerf the fun. 

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,086 posts
4,071 battles

Right on Ducky. Example A is Flamu. Yeah, the guy cusses like a sailor, has a very low tolerance for bad play, and pretty much lives up to his toxic reputation. But he's very good (obviously) and does want people to improve. If you can get past the salt and sarcasm, he really can help your game. I think he's the best CC for actual high level gameplay, his vids really dig into the best way to play ships. The best people to ask are the people who are good at it. While I'm not a unicum in game, I'm still happy to help, and it applies in real life too. I'm very good at what I do, and people are often surprised that I'm happy to explain the basics of my area to them if they want to learn. Most people are good at something because they like it, and so we like explaining it to other people so they can enjoy it too.

Also to add a point to your post, you have to put the work in yourself. If you go to a unicum for help, it's not going to be here, do these 5 things and instantly increase your WR. It's going to be advice on how to aim, position, how to read the map and teams, predicting the enemy. All things that take practice. So you have to listen to their advice, and then apply it in game. It won't be an instant change, but slowly with guidance you'll start to see further ahead into the battle, think more about positioning, get better at predicting and aiming. But this will take time. I think a lot of people think that if they apply a bit of advice they'll immediately get better. That's not true though, you have to put in a lot of work practicing so that you learn (often the hard way) the best way to approach battles in each ship. Yes you may have someone looking over your shoulder, but you still have to put in a lot of work.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,899 posts
8,143 battles
21 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

Plant based, not necessarily full vegan. But yeah, an eye opener for sure

Good point, I can do fake meat, with enough sauce/condiments, but no way am I eating fake cheese...

21 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Whatever gets you eating the most venison, duck, goose, and upland game. 

I may have to cheat when visiting friends back home after deer season....

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,548 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

I may have to cheat when visiting friends back home after deer season....

Yeah, smoked some delicious venison this weekend. Plant based can take a break during hunting season

IMG_20191111_140200[1].jpg

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
28,899 posts
8,143 battles
12 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

Yeah, smoked some delicious venison this weekend. Plant based can take a break during hunting season

IMG_20191111_140200[1].jpg

:Smile_sad:

I want!!!

[-KIA-]
Members
111 posts
10,109 battles
1 minute ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

lols of course, most fights I engage in... once we get to the 1v1 stage find out I am actually pretty nice and very complimentary. But some guy made this avatar for me the other night so I had to go as hard as possible. I still don't know if the picture is the patron saint of jerks....and if it is, the joke is on me.

:)

The picture is a White Knight, basically.
I'll pull the definition in case you don't know:
1) A man who stands up for a womens right to be an absolute equal, but then steps up like a white knight to rescue her any time that equality becomes a burden.

I'm all up for it to let all issues in the past, there's no need to keep an argument going.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,904 posts
8,457 battles
22 minutes ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

Fair enough friend :)  Shall we bury the hatchet?

nah, its in my trophy box. 

Never forget

[WOLFG]
Members
28,899 posts
8,143 battles
26 minutes ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

Fair enough friend :)  Shall we bury the hatchet?

"in your pancreas!!" :Smile_trollface: