Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Revisiting Friesland and a few thoughts on future builds for her

27 comments in this topic

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,422 posts
13,457 battles

Friesland is a ship that kind of fell between the cracks with KOTS, the French DD line, etc.  This video is my first attempt to rectify that.  This game has a lot of the strong and weak points of the ship displayed.  This DD doesnt do well contesting caps, but excels at ripping through spotted enemy ships with HE and its fantastic AP.  The AP is on display here citadeling a Hipper/Eugen at 8km.  This was a pretty solid performance muddied by a greedy misplay that almost costs me the game.  Greed kills, and I walk through how I should have positioned in hindsight.

This game was played with my Blyskawica captain with a build I love on that ship.  I am not that happy with the captain on Friesland, and in the future I will level a specific Friesland captain to test future full gunboat builds.  The build descriptions are linked in the description in the video.

What builds have you guys found success with Friesland?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles
8 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

B2V5yms.jpg

I find this gives me a decent compromise. Sure, I could build for more ROF or more range, but they'd come at the expense of each other and I find this build works ok for me. She already handles well enough IMO so I don't feel the need for faster rudder shift, but she's a bit sluggish on the throttle but Prop Mod 2 helps there.

[CVLUL]
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

B2V5yms.jpg

I find this gives me a decent compromise. Sure, I could build for more ROF or more range, but they'd come at the expense of each other and I find this build works ok for me. She already handles well enough IMO so I don't feel the need for faster rudder shift, but she's a bit sluggish on the throttle but Prop Mod 2 helps there.

image.thumb.png.6300933c47f22e6ea6e12bcdff44e20f.png

The build I am contemplating is dropping CE for AFT.  This lets me keep max gun DPM and adds a few kilometers range.  The cost is concealment, but it still lets you out spot CAs threats by a good margin.  Most of the time I am not trying to pick fights with DDs until their support is killed or crippled.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles
8 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

The build I am contemplating is dropping CE for AFT.  This lets me keep max gun DPM and adds a few kilometers range.  The cost is concealment, but it still lets you out spot CAs threats by a good margin.  Most of the time I am not trying to pick fights with DDs until their support is killed or crippled.

Sounds like a valid build, if you're confident you can keep your aim true at long range. Might have to give that build a try some time.

Members
3,101 posts
6,694 battles
27 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Hmm, not sure, guess I'd better ask the most unicum destroyer main we kno- oh wait. :cap_old:

I do want AFT on Friesland, because the range is no bueno. But not sure I want to sacrifice CE for it. I'll outspot the cruisers, sure, but the cruisers have destroyers spotting for them, so if I'm spotted 1.5 before I see the spotter DDs, it doesn't matter a ton if I spotted the cruisers, since they can shoot at me anyway. I think the serious argument would be that Friesland doesn't have great concealment even with CE so that this situation is always a risk anyway.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn
  • Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
16 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

The cost is concealment, but it still lets you out spot CAs threats by a good margin. 

As someone who's not swimming in 19 point captains, I'd have to think twice about this. Blyskawica is now available for coal, which means I'll be getting her as my first Pan-Euro destroyer, and that in turn gives me motivation to consider Friesland above the other FXP ships currently on offer to form a two-unit fleet. For a common captain, I'd want to build one that served both ships equally well. 

Granted, your needs are not mine, but I'd certainly be taking CE on such a captain.

Members
3,101 posts
6,694 battles
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

As someone who's not swimming in 19 point captains, I'd have to think twice about this. Blyskawica is now available for coal, which means I'll be getting her as my first Pan-Euro destroyer, and that in turn gives me motivation to consider Friesland above the other FXP ships currently on offer to form a two-unit fleet. For a common captain, I'd want to build one that served both ships equally well. 

Granted, your needs are not mine, but I'd certainly be taking CE on such a captain.

I think you can make one captain for both ships that works out well, I just think @Destroyer_KuroshioKai is more looking to optimize for a dedicated captain.

PT / PM / AR / LS / SE (or SI) / BFT / AFT / CE would be fine for both, if not totally optimal.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,636 battles
45 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I use my Blys captain.

PT

AR LS

SE BFT

RPF CE

So often you just don’t have the luxury to sit back and farm damage with AFT from behind an island.

Versatility is very important. Meme builds can be so frustrating to play when things don’t go your way.

• Confused 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
1 minute ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

think you can make one captain for both ships that works out well, I just think @Destroyer_KuroshioKai is more looking to optimize for a dedicated captain.

Oh for sure. All I'm saying is that if I'm obliged to concentrate on building ONE Pan-Euro captain, he's got to work well on the Blys.

3 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

PT / PM / AR / LS / SE (or SI) / BFT / AFT / CE

Consider also dropping SE/SI and PM for IFHE, or sacrificing AFT as @HazardDrake suggests. 

1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

RPF

Vs. IFHE - which would you prefer?

Members
3,101 posts
6,694 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh for sure. All I'm saying is that if I'm obliged to concentrate on building ONE Pan-Euro captain, he's got to work well on the Blys.

Consider also dropping SE/SI and PM for IFHE, or sacrificing AFT as @HazardDrake suggests. 

My big question is IFHE or DE or both. You have to invest a lot of points to do both, and you still come away with a lower fire chance and probably have to sacrifice either BFT or AFT.

Now, in an ideal world, we'd get a unique Pan-European commander who would boost one of those skills...

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,340 battles
1 minute ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

My big question is IFHE or DE or both. You have to invest a lot of points to do both, and you still come away with a lower fire chance and probably have to sacrifice either BFT or AFT.

I sacrificed CE on the Smolensk, but she is a special case. PT LS BFT AFT DE IFHE AR. I figure DE helps me get back some of the fire chance that IFHE takes away. I had DE first, added IFHE later.  If I get a free respec somewhere down the road, I might play with this a bit.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,636 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

RPF 8 days a week.

I care about winning, not how big the numbers are on the results screen. If I want big numbers on the screen, I’ll play a BB and bang my face on the keyboard. (Which I do often enough.)

RPF remains a must-have skill on DD builds. Avoiding fights you don’t wan’t, chase down the fights you do, blind torp enemies, angle against likely incoming torps, etc.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles
17 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

blind torp enemies

Less of an issue on a Friesland.

• Funny 1

[CVLUL]
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
4 minutes ago, Lert said:

You mean to tell me you've never closed your eyes, crushed your balls in your hand to achieve that proper Miss Underwood tone, and screamed "Jesus take the wheel!!!" while ramming?

• Funny 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,636 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

I know, was just listing off the reasons why RPF is so vital on a DD.

With Benham, I’ve won cap fights purely from torpedoes and RPF.

Members
3,101 posts
6,694 battles
38 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I sacrificed CE on the Smolensk, but she is a special case. PT LS BFT AFT DE IFHE AR. I figure DE helps me get back some of the fire chance that IFHE takes away. I had DE first, added IFHE later.  If I get a free respec somewhere down the road, I might play with this a bit.

I suppose another benefit there would be to that order is that by the time you have a 13-point captain and pick up DE, you'll have the next four captain points to play with it and decide whether you're willing to give up the extra fire chance for better pen. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles
4 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

You mean to tell me you've never closed your eyes, crushed your balls in your hand to achieve that proper Miss Underwood tone, and screamed "Jesus take the wheel!!!" while ramming?

No. I've usually more closely resembled the following:

GXR1b9k.gif

7UZcNxA.gif

[INTEL]
Members
13,068 posts
36,066 battles
2 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Friesland is a

Thanks for this. Am mulling a Friesland purchase. 

Do you have a vid for Mogador builds?

[CVLUL]
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
26 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Thanks for this. Am mulling a Friesland purchase. 

Do you have a vid for Mogador builds?

No its on my to do list.  I'd probably run an ambush build like my Kleber like this:  https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PFSD109&modules=12121&upgrades=143222&commander=PCW001&skills=2215821314&ar=100&consumables=111&lang=en

Or maybe a full gunbuild from range like this:  https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PFSD109&modules=12121&upgrades=143222&commander=PCW001&skills=72532034&ar=100&consumables=222&lang=en

[INTEL]
Members
13,068 posts
36,066 battles
6 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Thanks, that's pretty much the dilemma facing me. Very useful. 

[CVLUL]
3,422 posts
13,457 battles
5 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Thanks, that's pretty much the dilemma facing me. Very useful. 

For what its worth I tend to prefer the ambush builds.  I feel I have faster impact on the game.

• Cool 1

Members
1,051 posts
9,827 battles

While AFT is nice to have, the WG nerfed the ballistics so much that past 13km you will miss 3 of 4 shells to targets that maneuver... even BB's.  At 12-15 seconds lead time , you would need to be strong with the force to know which way they turn before they do to do much better.

Friesland is a Love / Meh sort of ship to me.  It could have been awesome, and be collecting as much hate mail as the Smolensk, but WG over nerfed it om testing.  It's detection is little too big, it's a little too slow (slower than IRL), and I already mentioned the ballistics.  When things line up, it kicks [edited]... when the situation doesn't present itself, it's meh at best.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,636 battles
2 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

Friesland is a Love / Meh sort of ship to me.  It could have been awesome, and be collecting as much hate mail as the Smolensk, but WG over nerfed it om testing.  It's detection is little too big, it's a little too slow (slower than IRL), and I already mentioned the ballistics.  When things line up, it kicks [edited]... when the situation doesn't present itself, it's meh at best.

Agreed. It’s a very feast/famine ship.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles
43 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

it's a little too slow (slower than IRL)

It has a license built Gearing drive. I don't see why they haven't given her speed boost.

Members
663 posts
5,969 battles
5 hours ago, Lert said:

B2V5yms.jpg

I’m pretty sure I’m running basically the same build on mine right now, minus the SI, logic being it’s basically Gearing smoke, and you don’t take SI on Gearing because it takes so long to get to that fourth smoke anyways. I don’t see myself getting it for the extra hydro or DFAA, I don’t use those up as it is. I’ll probably opt for AR + PM when I get those last few points.

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai I’ll be interested to see how your AFT build does in comparison. Seems like you would be giving up the ability to cap contest, but as the ship has issues doing that as it is AFT wouldn’t be completely out of the question.

Sign in to follow this