You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Trainspite

List of all the 'Paper' Ships in game.

56 comments in this topic

Supertester
1,587 posts
16 battles

Posting this after a trial run on the WoWs reddit, and debating which section of the forum to stick this in (this is more of a resource I feel, it would just get buried in general - who knows, maybe it will even get pinned). 

Long story short, for over the past years I started compiling an excel document of all the paper ships in the game, as a matter of reference. A short description, date of design, and whether this was a fictional (created by WG) design or not. A list of what every paper ship is a useful resource for those interested, so I have prettied it up and pushed it out so more people can learn from it and for me to improve it.

And with creating such a list, there comes the matter of defining what a paper ship is, and ships that begin to blur the lines. Therefore I find it important to clarify what I have defined a paper ship as, and so attached a small text box to each image of the list.

Repeated below it is as thus;

A paper ship here is classified as anything that did not enter service (commission), as well as including certain ships that were built and served that have had their gameplay and appearance dramatically altered by fictional changes. The reason for a major gameplay/appearance change is that most ships in the game has some sort of mistake, change or fictional aspect to it.

Paper ships range from;
- Ships almost commissioned and completed (e.g. - Graf Zeppelin).
- Ships laid down, but never completed (e.g. - Amagi).
- Completed designs due to be laid down, but never were (e.g. - Montana).
- Preliminary designs (e.g.- Charles Martel).
- Specifications for a ship, but no design completed (e.g. - Zaō).
- Fictional creations by WG (e.g.- Conqueror).
- Real ships (and designs) heavily edited from specification (e.g. - Huanghe, Chester).
- Fictional members of a real ship class (e.g. - Harekaze).

Certain ships that have a historical (or very close to) hull are excluded from this list, even if the other hull is fictional (e.g. - Orion, Bayern).

Spaces marked in Orange indicate uncertainty.

Fictional ships are chosen by  deviation from the original design and navy practices. Nearly all ships in this list have more minor model accuracy issues. Semi-Fictional ships are ships that have significant historical design basis but also differ significantly.

Additional input on any of the ships would be welcome, I'm not a student of every navy, and will have repeated a mistake or few from my gleaning.

Individual lists for;
Imperial Japanese Navy:

Spoiler

X0xFT0y.png

United States Navy:

Spoiler

k11h3MA.png

Royal Navy:

Spoiler

4q99WNn.png

Kaiserlichemarine/Kriegsmarine:

Spoiler

HJL9jKz.png

Imperial Russian Navy/Voyenno-Morskoy Flot:

Spoiler

N6RIrQI.png

Marine Nationale:

Spoiler

KTiBCiE.png

Regia Marina:

Spoiler

btFziZP.png

Pan-Asia:

Spoiler

H8GD2IJ.png

Pan-Europe:

Spoiler

KYpq4ZG.png

And the one huge list, that is better off opened in a new tab since it is too damn long at this point. Honestly it is just best used as a visual device to show how many there are.

oxuaa5M.png

Edited by Trainspite
  • Cool 15

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,384 posts
14,152 battles

I would say that ships that were ordered are not actually paper as all the engineering work was completed. To me paper is ships that never got to the order stage so the Amagi for example is not a paper ship.

Supertester
1,587 posts
16 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I would say that ships that were ordered are not actually paper as all the engineering work was completed. To me paper is ships that never got to the order stage so the Amagi for example is not a paper ship.

That is one way of defining it. Commissioned/ or not is a broad stroke, but I think it the most appropriate. It is a clear cut off point, while trying to sift through which designs got further is a bit messier. Additionally,  even ships that were laid down don't attract that much attention, although being a capital ship helps it's notoriety. 

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,384 posts
14,152 battles
3 minutes ago, Trainspite said:

That is one way of defining it. Commissioned/ or not is a broad stroke, but I think it the most appropriate. It is a clear cut off point, while trying to sift through which designs got further is a bit messier. Additionally,  even ships that were laid down don't attract that much attention, although being a capital ship helps it's notoriety. 

Small ships if ordered are far more likely to be completed because of their faster construction time compared to heavier ships which can take many years where a DD could be completed in a year or so pre war making for far less chance of the project being canceled.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,071 posts
19,197 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I would say that ships that were ordered are not actually paper as all the engineering work was completed.

I'd have no problem with that but for one issue; design stats are always better than really got built (and sailed and fought) stats, and WoWs uses the design stats just like they were proven in real life. This is how we end up with ships like Khab (preliminary design, paper only) and Klebber (totally fictional WG design) which were (Khab) or are (Kleb) totally OP and in need of serious rethinking. I know that WG is in love with each line having it's own personal gimmick, but they take it to extremes, the same way they do buffs and nerfs. Most of the OP ships in the game are/were paper designs.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,071 posts
19,197 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Small ships if ordered are far more likely to be completed because of their faster construction time compared to heavier ships which can take many years where a DD could be completed in a year or so pre war making for far less chance of the project being canceled.

And they cost a lot less.

• Cool 1

Members
6,110 posts
7,412 battles

I thought Monarch was some sort of Frankenstein of the preliminary KGV designs(or maybe just one specific design) with the proposed 3x3 15" guns that were considered for the KGV's? Not just a completely made up thing by WG?

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Supertester
1,587 posts
16 battles
1 minute ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I thought Monarch was some sort of Frankenstein of the preliminary KGV designs(or maybe just one specific design) with the proposed 3x3 15" guns that were considered for the KGV's? Not just a completely made up thing by WG?

That is what WG want people to believe Monarch is. 

Truth is that Monarch is a Frankenstein of more than KGV preliminaries. The major issues below;

• The hull is a clone of Duke of York's/ Old T8 KGV B-hull. It is a longer hull than the one 15" armed KGV preliminary designs, in the region of 2m. It's not much, and could have been a change later in design development, but not accurate to the design of 15C.

• The turrets are of the wrong style. They seem to have been copied from Nelson, rather than being the flat faced style the RN had moved to come the genesis of the KGVs. The data set of the 15"/45 Mk.II is applied to them.

• The secondaries are wrong for 15C. 15C and the other 15" armed preliminaries had 10x 2 4.5" a la QE or Renown as rebuilt. These designs were dropped in October/November 1935, before the 5.25" was adopted. You could take it and run with the 5.25", but it isn't necessary, esp when the 4.5" are better in game and more historically accurate to the design.

• The lattice masts are completely out of place. The statcard reported 'as of1945' as a date, but not even Vanguard had these masts. This would be a post-war refit addition.

• The catapult is still there for some reason, while there is a late/post war AA fit. Lion suffers from this too. All very strange things that don't fit with RN practice.

Most of the stats are cloned from KGV too, Monarch Mongrel is a very lazy job. The late addition to the RN BB line that screwed things up. I'm still holding it that it gets replaced by KGV and made into a T8 premium (maybe one day). In short, Monarch is a Frankenstein of different RN BB related parts (Nelson turrets, Belfast masts, DoY hull etc.), aside from having a 9x 15"/45 data set on a KGV hull, she doesn't really come close to the 15" KGV preliminaries. 

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
2,552 posts

Regarding Pyotr Veliky, WG discarded the historical 1911 design and gave it a Soviet-era refit, which judging from googling images is supposed to look like this.

1536489963_blom-foss.png

The design is real, but the WG model is fictional.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,088 posts
18,898 battles

AFAIK Imperator Nikolai I was actually laid down but construction halted and the floating hull scrapped.

[REVY]
Members
2,272 posts
12,190 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

AFAIK Imperator Nikolai I was actually laid down but construction halted and the floating hull scrapped.

As Lert said, ship was launched, but never completed,

Imperator_Nikolay_I.jpg

Also, Prinz Eitel Friedrich was also a hull that was launched, but never completed.

Below is the Prinz Eitel Friedrich (ship on left) tied up with the Beyern-class Wurrtemburg

1920px-Hamburg_port_NARA-68155073_(cropp

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,384 posts
14,152 battles
8 hours ago, Umikami said:

I'd have no problem with that but for one issue; design stats are always better than really got built (and sailed and fought) stats, and WoWs uses the design stats just like they were proven in real life. This is how we end up with ships like Khab (preliminary design, paper only) and Klebber (totally fictional WG design) which were (Khab) or are (Kleb) totally OP and in need of serious rethinking. I know that WG is in love with each line having it's own personal gimmick, but they take it to extremes, the same way they do buffs and nerfs. Most of the OP ships in the game are/were paper designs.

The Khab never had the complete engineering work up, just a preliminary aka proposal. Some of WG"s thinking is rather odd to say the least and staying with ships that were at least ordered would be a lot better.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,773 posts
2,137 battles

Bayard is an entirely fictional design by WG.

I wrote a blurb on it and actual French cruiser programs in her history section if that helps;

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Bayard

TL;DR - she's the product of a 'what-if' alternate universe where France decides to build against Japan and orders 4x3 cruisers after the La Galissonnière-class instead of De Grasse. Never actually considered as a design by the French, who were working on an 8,000-ton limit after the the La Galissonnière-class, with De Grasse being the maximum improvement they could make with the extra 400 tons.

• Cool 2

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,525 posts
4,585 battles

I think the list is a bit incomplete.  It only lists ships that outright were never in service.  There are in addition, many ships in the game that get refits that never happened and were "on paper" only.  For example, Bayren is given a refit upgrade as if she were in service for WW 2.  Scharnhorst et.al. get the 15" gun refit that never happened.

There are obviously more than that.  I'll leave to someone more enterprising to possibly add these to the lists above.

Supertester
1,587 posts
16 battles
2 hours ago, Murotsu said:

I think the list is a bit incomplete.  It only lists ships that outright were never in service.  There are in addition, many ships in the game that get refits that never happened and were "on paper" only.  For example, Bayren is given a refit upgrade as if she were in service for WW 2.  Scharnhorst et.al. get the 15" gun refit that never happened.

There are obviously more than that.  I'll leave to someone more enterprising to possibly add these to the lists above.

I deliberately listed Bayern as an example of it's exclusion from the list in the description box thing, where in the A-hull is 'close enough' to historical condition (minus the newfangled directors and extra 88mm mounts), as to escape being branded in the same category as more comprehensive changes to the ship. The B-hull is obviously fictional, and if the A-hull ever gets removed, Bayern gets added. Had to reluctantly remove Orion under the same reason. Even with being a mish-mash of 1914 condition masts and secondaries with a 1915/1916 condition hull, the non-historical parts are just the rangefinders, 40mm AA, and 102mm guns on both hulls.

Refits as given to Iron Duke, Konig and Kaiser cross a line and alter the ships appearance quite significantly, hence they got on the list.

12 hours ago, Lert said:

8 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

As Lert said, ship was launched, but never completed,

Imperator_Nikolay_I.jpg

Also, Prinz Eitel Friedrich was also a hull that was launched, but never completed.

Below is the Prinz Eitel Friedrich (ship on left) tied up with the Beyern-class Wurrtemburg

~snip~

It's what I originally had put down, however after posting on reddit, the in game Nikolai might be one of it's preliminary designs from 1914 due to the different bow, including the first turret at a higher level, which is opposed to the pictures of Nikolai's hull I've seen. The hull has all a flush deck, and an icebreaker bow as per Gangut.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,071 posts
19,197 battles
6 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

The Khab never had the complete engineering work up, just a preliminary aka proposal. Some of WG"s thinking is rather odd to say the least and staying with ships that were at least ordered would be a lot better.

Agree with that; but Khab is something taken off a napkin and run with like it was the word of Jesus on Sunday morning. Klebber doesn't even have that much going for it, it's a completely WoWs design.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,384 posts
14,152 battles
6 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Agree with that; but Khab is something taken off a napkin and run with like it was the word of Jesus on Sunday morning. Klebber doesn't even have that much going for it, it's a completely WoWs design.

Yep, the Tillman BB's would be no different.

[HINON]
7,773 posts
2,137 battles
8 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

1 hour ago, Umikami said:

I think Khaba is actually a mix of Projekt 24 and Projekt 47, but I'd have to double-check

[VVV]
Members
2,681 posts
On 11/13/2019 at 7:15 PM, Umikami said:

There was a plan for an improved Mogador under the name Kléber. But the design would've dropped the twin torpedo tubes entirely rather than replacing them with triples, and added a pair of 100mm/45 DP turrets.

Supertester, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
11,426 posts
1,963 battles
9 hours ago, Lord_Magus said:

There was a plan for an improved Mogador under the name Kléber. But the design would've dropped the twin torpedo tubes entirely rather than replacing them with triples, and added a pair of 100mm/45 DP turrets.

The lead ship of the 1939 Contre torpilleur (3000t) was Hoche, with MarceauKléber and Desaix replacing three Le Hardi class torpilleur d'escadre in the 1938bis tranche as the international situation deteriorated. Hoche at least would have her after torpedo tubes replaces with the 100mm/45 Mle 1930 (which is open backed, rather than a turret, presumably on weight & stability grounds). It was hoped to give the other three ships DP 130mm twins, though given the protracted development cycle experienced with a number of French weapons of the period, there is no small chance that they would have been completed to the same standard as their (half) sister. A further six ships were included in the 1940 tranche, with the suggested names of BayardDu GuesclinD'AssasLa Tour d'AuvergneTurenne & Bugeaud

None of which are close to the Kleber in game, which is why it is listed as fictional. 

Supertester
1,587 posts
16 battles

I updated the images to include some new releases. Wukong, Bajie and the new European/Swedish ships etc. - Also clarified the position on Pyotr Velkiy and Goliath. The former is true to it's design while the latter is so far removed that it is a fictional creation. 

• Cool 1

Members
16 posts
5,834 battles

As far as I know Moskva was 70% done for the hull and the superstructure was done.  While getting towed to the second dockyard the hull got stuck on a reef.  They tried towing it off but failed.  I think the krasny krym was one of the ships that was used but I might have my ship name wrong.  After they couldn't tug her.  They placed bombs under the hull to try to blow the reef apart.  That also didn't work so it stayed there until later use of anti-ship missile testing and that's how she died.

[HINON]
7,773 posts
2,137 battles
On 2/8/2020 at 10:24 AM, The_Real_Atrox said:

As far as I know Moskva was 70% done for the hull and the superstructure was done.  While getting towed to the second dockyard the hull got stuck on a reef.  They tried towing it off but failed.  I think the krasny krym was one of the ships that was used but I might have my ship name wrong.  After they couldn't tug her.  They placed bombs under the hull to try to blow the reef apart.  That also didn't work so it stayed there until later use of anti-ship missile testing and that's how she died.

You might be thinking of Stalingrad?

'Moskva' was a Projekt 66 cruiser, and was never even laid down.