You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BoJohno

noob questions about commanders

12 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,548 battles

So I've got a couple questions regarding ship commanders. They're noob questions, but I haven't really looked into commander progression too much. I've got 2 main questions.

1, Premiums are used as "trainers", which I get due to the inherent xp bonus. But once you get him/her to a 19pt, it costs an absurd amount to transfer them to a tier ship. Am I missing something obvious, or is the massive payout at the end just something to be expected.

2, I've notice commanders in the armoury have particular bonuses. It always says they specialize in a tier 1 ship. Does that specialty transfer? If not why would someone pay for a T10 captain that loses effectiveness outside a particular T1 ship?

Thanks in advance.

Members
1,292 posts
7,142 battles
7 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

So I've got a couple questions regarding ship commanders. They're noob questions, but I haven't really looked into commander progression too much. I've got 2 main questions.

1, Premiums are used as "trainers", which I get due to the inherent xp bonus. But once you get him/her to a 19pt, it costs an absurd amount to transfer them to a tier ship. Am I missing something obvious, or is the massive payout at the end just something to be expected.

2, I've notice commanders in the armoury have particular bonuses. It always says they specialize in a tier 1 ship. Does that specialty transfer? If not why would someone pay for a T10 captain that loses effectiveness outside a particular T1 ship?

Thanks in advance.

Transfers to premium ships are free. You can put any captain of that nation in a premium ship of that nation and he will be fully effective. So ideally you would have your 19 pt commander trained on a tech tree ship of your choice and could swap him to any premium you wanted without any cost or loss of effectiveness. This is also why premiums are useful as captain trainers. You train him for a tech tree ship and instead of having to operate with reduced efficiency while retraining he can be swapped to and retrain on a premium at full effectiveness. 

Specialize just means the ship the commander is currently trained on. He can be "specialized" in any ship if you train him on another one. No commander provides boosts to any ship he can't provide to another. 

Edited by Rocketpacman
  • Cool 1

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,548 battles
10 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

Transfers to premium ships are free. You can put any captain of that nation in a premium ship of that nation and he will be fully effective. So ideally you would have your 19 pt commander trained on a tech tree ship of your choice and could swap him to any premium you wanted without any cost or loss of effectiveness.  

Specialize just means the ship the commander is currently trained on. He can be "specialized" in any ship if you train him on another one. No commander provides boosts to any ship he can't provide to another. 

Thanks. I guess I was looking at that backwards. I thought you trained the captain on the premiums, then moved them to tier....your way makes way more sense lol. Appreciate the quick reply

[F4E]
Members
278 posts
6,934 battles

Following up on what Rocketpacman posted...

Because you can transfer captains to premium ships without any penalty, you can use the captain you are trying to advance/train on the tech tree ship in which he is proficient...get the daily win bonus in that ship...then transfer that captain to the premium ship and get the daily win bonus on that ship as well...

I concentrated on boosting the captain of my New Orleans (T7 USN heavy cruiser)...he is now a 19-point captain.  The commander XP he gains is now Elite Commander XP.  Now I am working to get the captain of my Mahan (T7 USN DD) to 19 points...so I primarily play those two captains (and I only use the flags that boost XP and Commander XP on the ship whose captain I am focused on at the moment).  There link to the relevant page at the wargaming wiki is here:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

Note that the bonuses to XP also end up boosting commander XP...so, those flags and camos all help.  There is also a slight boost if you are in a clan that has the relevant buffs to the Research Academy, Design Bureau, and Academy.

[0456]
Members
3,594 posts
9,496 battles
3 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

Thanks. I guess I was looking at that backwards. I thought you trained the captain on the premiums, then moved them to tier....your way makes way more sense lol. Appreciate the quick reply

This is not an uncommon mistake. Glad you got it figured out!

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,548 battles
3 minutes ago, MN_Nice said:

Because you can transfer captains to premium ships without any penalty, you can use the captain you are trying to advance/train on the tech tree ship in which he is proficient...get the daily win bonus in that ship...then transfer that captain to the premium ship and get the daily win bonus on that ship as well...

I get what you're saying, but once you transfered him to the premium, for the 2nd daily win, you can't move him back without the xp hit. Unless I'm badly misunderstanding things, there's no penalty to move the capt to the premium to get the2nd daily bonus. But tomorrow, when you have to move him back to the tier ship to continue, you have to pay the penalty. Or am I just completely missing something obvious?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles
3 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

I get what you're saying, but once you transfered him to the premium, for the 2nd daily win, you can't move him back without the xp hit.

His specialization is still on the tech tree ship you last used him on. You can transfer him between one tech tree ship and multiple premiums of that nation without retraining.

It's only when you move him onto the next tech-tree ship that you need to retrain.

Edited by grumpymunky

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
2 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

1 minute ago, MN_Nice said:

Following up on what Rocketpacman posted...

I concentrated on boosting the captain of my New Orleans (T7 USN heavy cruiser)...he is now a 19-point captain.  The commander XP he gains is now Elite Commander XP.  Now I am working to get the captain of my Mahan (T7 USN DD) to 19 points...so I primarily play those two captains (and I only use the flags that boost XP and Commander XP on the ship whose captain I am focused on at the moment).  There link to the relevant page at the wargaming wiki is here:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

Note that the bonuses to XP also end up boosting commander XP...so, those flags and camos all help.  There is also a slight boost if you are in a clan that has the relevant buffs to the Research Academy, Design Bureau, and Academy.

For more detail. When you finish grinding Konig, move your commander to Bayern and pick the option for 1/2 XP training for 200k silver. Now your cmdr will be training on Bayern with the skills at 1/2 effectiveness. You can move him to Scharnhorst tho and he will have full skills while you work off the training XP. Then put him back on Bayern once he is trained to grind Bayern. A 19pt Cmdr costs 250,000 Cmdr XP to retrain. Using the 200k silver option makes it 125,000 CXP. Don't forget that every XP you earn on your 19pt Cmdr when he is not training, is converted to Elite Cmdr XP that you can use on any Cmdr. Once you have a few 19pt Cmdrs, use the ECXP to retrain your Cmdrs after using the 200k silver option.

You can also use your Scharnhorst to farm first win bonuses. Play your tech tree German BB until you get a first win. Then move the Cmdr to Scharnhorst and play for a first win there. If you have multiple premiums for one nation, rotate your commander around them all for first win bonuses.

2 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

I get what you're saying, but once you transfered him to the premium, for the 2nd daily win, you can't move him back without the xp hit. Unless I'm badly misunderstanding things, there's no penalty to move the capt to the premium to get the2nd daily bonus. But tomorrow, when you have to move him back to the tier ship to continue, you have to pay the penalty. Or am I just completely missing something obvious?

Premium ships do not need to retrain the Cmdr. So your Cmdr trained on Konig, can be put on Scharnhorst without retraining.

A Cmdr trained on Scharnhorst only pays to retrain the first time he is moved to a tech tree ship and every tech tree to tech tree move after that. Never from any ship to a premium.

• Cool 1

[F4E]
Members
278 posts
6,934 battles
1 minute ago, BoJohno said:

That isn't correct.  Let me use real examples from my small fleet.

The only USN premium ship I have is the Charleston (T3 USN Cruiser).  I was working to boost the Commander of my New Orleans.  The commander is trained on New Orleans.  I could (and did) swap him back and forth between the New Orleans and the Charleston...no problem (because he is proficient with the New Orleans and the Charleston is a premium ship.  I can take him on and off the New Orleans with no problem because he is proficient with that ship...and I can move him onto and off of premium ships with no penalty because they are premium ships.  If I were to try and move him to a tech tree ship other than New Orleans, he would need retraining.  But, he can go to and from the reserve no problem just as he can go from New Orleans, to the Charleston, back to the New Orleans, with no need for retraining.

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
Members
421 posts
3,548 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

For more detail. When you finish grinding Konig, move your commander to Bayern and pick the option for 1/2 XP training for 200k silver. Now your cmdr will be training on Bayern with the skills at 1/2 effectiveness. You can move him to Scharnhorst tho and he will have full skills while you work off the training XP. Then put him back on Bayern once he is trained to grind Bayern.

Now THIS I didn't know. Damn I could have saved myself a ton of time if I had asked this question 1500 battles ago.....

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
1 minute ago, BoJohno said:

Now THIS I didn't know. Damn I could have saved myself a ton of time if I had asked this question 1500 battles ago.....

Yeah, it's much easier to grasp if I use the ships you have rather than generic names. :)

[_RNG_]
Members
787 posts
8,525 battles
48 minutes ago, BoJohno said:

Damn I could have saved myself a ton of time if I had asked this question 1500 battles ago.....

Yes, unfortunate for you. And you're definitely not the first too make this mistake.

But thank you for asking -- hopefully other new players will read this and not make the same mistake.

Thanks for helping everyone out. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Good luck and have fun.

• Cool 2