You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sorin_von_Otomo

An idea to help German Cruisers

9 comments in this topic

[--K--]
Members
73 posts
11,064 battles

This is an idea of a potential buff I thought up while playing Twilight Battles. The cruisers have a long range, 15km, 15 second hydro that has unlimited charges and reloads in like a minute. This serves as a good quick poking tool to see where the enemy generally is and spot some torps you strongly think are out there. The Germans, have been lacking the same utility other cruisers have, such as the radar cruisers. Why not give the German cruisers a similar second hydro consumable like this one to help mend this lack of utility? It doesn’t have to be the same. In the name of balance, maybe it can be a little shorter ranged, have a slower cooldown, shorter duration or limited charges.  This is just an idea and I am curious if anyone thinks this is a good idea to give them a longer range poking hydro to work alongside their current hydro (or def aa if you are into that)

Edited by CaptainWater_D

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,923 posts
26,925 battles

You hate DD?

No, this kind of hydro is worse then VMF radar.

If you want a buff, give the higher tiers a seperate slot for AA and hydro.

Members
1,660 posts

1.  I didn't realize German cruisers were in need of a buff.  They seem fine to me, maybe a smidge of help with AA.

2.  One issue would be that once spotted torps stay spotted. You would essentially be giving all torpedoes a 15km spotting distance.

I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I don't know that hydro ia the answer, especially with subs coming.

[--K--]
Members
73 posts
11,064 battles
58 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

You hate DD?

No, this kind of hydro is worse then VMF radar.

If you want a buff, give the higher tiers a seperate slot for AA and hydro.

How is it worse? Make it barely long enough to fire a single salvo, if loaded. The rest of the team won’t have enough time to take advantage or you could just not allow them to see the ship(s) that are pinged. All you will get is one salvo of low damage HE, your position revealed and maybe your torps. If having your torps always spotted before they hit the target is a problem, then give it like a 2min cooldown, and/or limit its range of spotting torps heavily. It can be balanced.

As for having both AA and hydro… that doesn’t fix anything. Everyone would still take a Moskva or Des Moines over it.

Also, this is just an idea. It doesn’t have to go through. Just trying to constructively come up with a way to fix the problem besides ranting, “Germans weak! Buff them!”

Edited by CaptainWater_D

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,923 posts
26,925 battles
3 minutes ago, CaptainWater_D said:

How is it worse? Make it barely long enough to fire a single salvo, if loaded. The rest of the team won’t have enough time to take advantage or you could just not allow them to see the ship(s) that are pinged. All you will get is one salvo of low damage HE, your position revealed and maybe your torps. If having your torps always spotted before they hit the target is a problem, then give it like a 2min cooldown, and/or limit its range of spotting torps heavily. It can be balanced.

As for having both AA and hydro… that doesn’t fix anything. Everyone would still take a Moskva or Des Moines over it.

Also, this is just an idea. It doesn’t have to go through. Just trying to constructively come up with a way to fix the problem besides ranting, “Germans weak! Buff them!”

15km range, unlimited charge and one minute CD. That gives you every minute 15 seconds of early warning of torpedos, hence it makes it even harder for a DD to hit you. 

You don't need to get multiple salvos out, a DD had to break up his attack when he is spotted at 15km, even knowing that if he press the attack, he may cannot get out.

DD will stay away from caps if a KM cruiser is close, you can spot him with hydro while you are not spotted. Guess why they nerfed the radar range of the Sauce? 

Hydro and AA in different slots: German Hydro is excellent considering the range. You get a two minutes of early torpedo warning while 30 sec radar don't help you if the torpedos are in the water.

Since German CA have a good AA, having the option to defend yourself against torpedos and planes at the same time is a buff. See the USN CL.

Serious, such an idea smells like Wheraboos.

[CCREW]
Members
54 posts
1,903 battles

Only German cruiser I think still needs some help even after a bunch of buffs is the York. It's HE alpha is pathetic for the caliber and it's AP pen is way too situational with it's pen angles and poor performance of it's AP at range. I faced a Charles Martel today and it's AP melted me even though I THOUGHT I was angled good enough that I couldn't even shoot all my guns he was still doing 2.5-5k per volley on me. 

[--K--]
Members
73 posts
11,064 battles
31 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

15km range, unlimited charge and one minute CD. That gives you every minute 15 seconds of early warning of torpedos, hence it makes it even harder for a DD to hit you. 

You don't need to get multiple salvos out, a DD had to break up his attack when he is spotted at 15km, even knowing that if he press the attack, he may cannot get out.

DD will stay away from caps if a KM cruiser is close, you can spot him with hydro while you are not spotted. Guess why they nerfed the radar range of the Sauce? 

Hydro and AA in different slots: German Hydro is excellent considering the range. You get a two minutes of early torpedo warning while 30 sec radar don't help you if the torpedos are in the water.

Since German CA have a good AA, having the option to defend yourself against torpedos and planes at the same time is a buff. See the USN CL.

Serious, such an idea smells like Wheraboos.

As I already said, it doesn’t have to be as long lasting, it doesn’t have to be 15 km, it doesn’t have to last as long as 15 seconds, the rest of the team doesn’t have to see the ships you do, the torp detect doesn’t have to be as long, it doesn’t need to have unlimited charges, and it most definitely doesn’t have to have a minute cooldown. I suggested 2 minutes but it can be longer if need be. It can be fine tuned. 

You cite the USN CLs, but they also have RADAR. That consumable instantly gives them far more utility than just hydro and aa. There is a reason Moskva and Des Moines have been used heavy in every single iteration of clan battles. As for the other two cruisers without radar, HIV and Zao, they are just far better kiters, with their own quirks and have far better guns. A simple addition of Def AA doesn’t fix their shortcomings. Would I welcome such a change? Yes. Is it good enough? No. A 6km hydro doesn’t make up for low pen on the AP (regardless if it has higher alpha), HE with abysmal damage and fire chance, and carrying no other utility consumables.

Edited by CaptainWater_D

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,128 posts
19,226 battles
1 hour ago, MajorWang said:

It's HE alpha is pathetic

ALL German HE is pathetic.

1 hour ago, MajorWang said:

I faced a Charles Martel today and it's AP melted me

A Martel is a tier 8 heavy cruiser with great AP; you were supposed to get melted. Running away from higher tiered ships is NOT a bad idea. And just out of curiosity, what does that have to do with this new Hydro consumable you want, it certainly would not have helped you in this case.