You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_bleJN7gXeLqd

My thoughts on Italian Cruisers

70 comments in this topic

Members
324 posts

In this post, I am going to simply outline my thoughts of the Italian tech tree cruisers based on the two cruisers that I have played so far: Tier V Raimondo Montecuccoli and Tier VIII Amalfi.

First, the Italian cruisers are FAST ladies. That was the first thing that I noticed when I first jumped into playing them was how fast they can cruise.  In my mind, this makes them excellent in accompanying destroyers in the front lines and providing firing support (of course, being cruisers, they should not be THAT far upfront given their larger detection range, large hull size, and them sporting large, vulnerable citadels).

Second, the Italian cruisers get a unique smoke consumable that enables them to hide while retaining FULL speed. While the smoke plumes themselves do not last very long in time duration, they are great for the Italian cruisers to hide on the go and make a quick get-a-way should the tide of the battle be turning against them, or they need to escape the glare of enemy battleships that are aiming for a citadel shot.  The Italian cruisers' smoke tactic is far superior to the smoke that the British light cruisers get, because the latter forces the British light cruisers to sit motionless in their smoke....which makes them vulnerable to torpedo attacks  because unless they have hydro activated, a well-placed volley of torpedoes can hit the British light cruisers before they know what hit them....the Italian cruisers can at least keep moving and not have to worry about leaving the safety of their smoke plumes. 

Third, the semi-armor piercing (SAP) shells are pretty decent.  Let me explain:

----> Against destroyers, SAP deal a lot of damage too destroyers.  I believe that this is the intention of the game developers of Wargaming, so that the Italian cruisers have the capacity to counter destroyers---as all cruisers are supposed to do.

----> Second: SAP shells can deal good chunks of damage against heavier armored targets.  Obviously HE shells are much better in countering angled battleships and heavy armored cruisers because of their ability to light a ton of fires.  But in my Amalfi, I have been able to deal some significant damage to enemy battleships.  In one Random Battle, I was shooting at a enemy Nagato who was angled against me, and in one salvo, I managed to take 2500-3500 damage away from him using SAP shells. 

Fourth, the Italian cruisers get great level gun arcs, similar to French cruisers. This makes it better in getting citadels against enemy ships. 

Fifth, they come with the option of both scouting planes and fighter planes.  While this may seem like a minor point....I enjoy the fact that the Italian cruisers can switch between the two plane options so that you can optimize them for different game modes like Ranked Sprint and Clan Battles.

Sixth, their concealment is poor and their gun traverse is slow as hell.  

Seventh and final point:  The Italian cruisers look cool in their designs. 

Trento, Zara, Amalfi look really neat in their slim hull designs (it makes me wonder why Azur Lane decided to make Italian cruisers Trento, Zara and Pola (the latter is a sister-ship to Zara) busty in their designs :cap_hmm:

On the whole....I like the Italian cruisers and I think that they are worth adding to one's cruiser collection as they offer a unique style of gameplay.

What about you? What do YOU think about the Italian cruiser line? Comment below your thoughts!

Edited by anonym_bleJN7gXeLqd
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[BB35]
Beta Testers
3,112 posts
25,938 battles

I enjoy the premium Italian cruisers I brought when they first came out . I do not care for the tier 5 and 6 cruisers their guns rotate way to slowly compared to other nations . But the tier 7 and 8 are Ok . That's my opinion .    

• Cool 2

[5D2]
[5D2]
Members
384 posts
8,374 battles

I think the reload speed and/or turret traverse hampers them

• Cool 1

Members
864 posts

I can't comment on the entire line because I only have 3 of them so far , the only thing I can say at this point is the T5 is horrid . I resorted to putting ramming flags on it and heading for the nearest BB .

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,245 battles

You seem to be in a minority?

Most of what I’ve read here so far has been pretty negative about them.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,013 posts
22,572 battles
20 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

I can't comment on the entire line because I only have 3 of them so far , the only thing I can say at this point is the T5 is horrid . I resorted to putting ramming flags on it and heading for the nearest BB .

LOL I hadn't thought of that, most definitely a good idea. Will try that when I dust off the ships for the Snowflake event. Honestly the Italian ships are forgettable and I won't bother with them save my old premiums. They are a pitiful line of ships. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
20 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

The tech tree tier 5 has the wrong ROF for the guns that are mounted and it should be lowered to the 7.5 to 12 second range which is what the 152mm/53 OTO 1929 has for its range.

19 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

You seem to be in a minority?

Most of what I’ve read here so far has been pretty negative about them.

I have the tier 6 & 7 and they are good ships but as the OP points out they have a different play style which is where people are having trouble wrapping their heads around.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,713 battles

ROF is too low.

Smoke doesn't last long enough. 

Need a heal, like British cl's have.

Needs better AA.

Good support ships with poor damage capability. 

• Cool 1

Members
864 posts
6 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

LOL I hadn't thought of that, most definitely a good idea. Will try that when I dust off the ships for the Snowflake event. Honestly the Italian ships are forgettable and I won't bother with them save my old premiums. They are a pitiful line of ships. 

That's how I got through playing the directives for them in Co-op , ROF is too slow for fast Co-op games . Not enough DPM and the torps are slow and anemic on the RaimunDOH .

Edited by retic1959

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,227 battles

Just came out of a 2 man div with clanmate using a Genoa, he was on his 7th win in a row. Loves the ship, was killing dds left and right plus racked up some impressive damage numbers for a t5 cruiser, more what you would expect from a t7. He thinks its almost OP. Said it was the most fun he has had in a while on wow. I was using Exeter, he did much better than I did in most of the battles. Was very consistent. My longest winning streak, 6 in a row! Was bottom tier 3 times, mid tier twice, top once.

• Cool 1

Members
1,225 posts
5,930 battles

They could probably due with the concealment adjusted downwards too. These ships would like to be flankers similar to what some IJN CAs can do but with concealment similar to super cruisers even at low tiers that's kind of hard.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I've done pretty well with genova and trento.  not great, but not horrid.   don't have high ceiling, but playable.    monte is crappy though. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,013 posts
22,572 battles
26 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

That's how I got through playing the directives for them in Co-op , ROF is too slow for fast Co-op games . Not enough DPM and the torps are slow and anemic on the RaimunDOH .

IMHO the lack of hydro really gimps the line in co-op. When you add this to everything else that is wrong with the line, it just makes them a miserable group of boats. 

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles

I drive my Raimondo Montecuccoli as though it were a jumbo-sized Destroyer.
Have recently used Captain's Skill to improve the torpedo re-load time.
Installed rudder-shift-time improvement.
She's a fast & responsive 'bote'.  :-)

SAP is decent against soft targets.  Torpedoes take bigger chunks out of Battleship hulls, if you can get close enough.

I like the speed and turning capabilities of Raimondo Montecuccoli and Duca D'Aosta. 
Trento is not quite as fast or lively, but has bigger guns and more torpedoes than Raimondo Montecuccoli.

The fighter planes are useful to augment the AA capabilities. 
Also, they can spot targets, in a pinch (not like a spotter plane, but you'll know where a ship is on the other side of an island, for example).
Basically, I agree that the option of either spotter or fighter is nice to have.  :-)

Exhaust smoke.  Nice to have.  :-)

Italian cruisers are not boring.  :-)

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,245 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I have the tier 6 & 7 and they are good ships but as the OP points out they have a different play style which is where people are having trouble wrapping their heads around.

If the higher tiers are more representative of the ‘national flavor,’ then that is another reason to dislike the line.

I am getting sick to death of lines touted for some trait/gimmick, when said gimmick doesn’t really appear until half-way or more down the line.

• Cool 3

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
9 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If the higher tiers are more representative of the ‘national flavor,’ then that is another reason to dislike the line.

I am getting sick to death of lines touted for some trait/gimmick, when said gimmick doesn’t really appear until half-way or more down the line.

They get both their speed and SAP at tier 2 so having the "national flavor" late in the line is not an issue. Of the four we have seen it is the Raimondo Montecuccoli that struggles as the RoF more matches the 152 mm/53 OTO 1926 at just over four rounds per minute then the 152 mm/53 OTO 1929 that it has and should be somewhere in the five to eight rounds per minute range. My experience is they do not bow tank well and are better played like we did in alpha & beta being constantly on the move.

Members
75 posts
8,463 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

ROF is too low.

Smoke doesn't last long enough. 

Need a heal, like British cl's have.

Needs better AA.

Good support ships with poor damage capability. 

Mostly agree with what was said, although Italian AA was, at least historically, mediocre at best.  I believe some adjustments are inbound (e.g. possible ROF increases).  They are interesting ships; do well on low tiers, having problems with the Zara though.  

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,245 battles
22 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They get both their speed and SAP at tier 2 so having the "national flavor" late in the line is not an issue. Of the four we have seen it is the Raimondo Montecuccoli that struggles as the RoF more matches the 152 mm/53 OTO 1926 at just over four rounds per minute then the 152 mm/53 OTO 1929 that it has and should be somewhere in the five to eight rounds per minute range. My experience is they do not bow tank well and are better played like we did in alpha & beta being constantly on the move.

We’ll see.

My dislike is building, and that isn’t a good thing.

[WOLF7]
Members
206 posts
2,310 battles
2 hours ago, Ciryandil said:

What about you? What do YOU think about the Italian cruiser line? Comment below your thoughts!

I've only played the T5 Genova for 14 games.   There is a ton of negative reviews on this line and the Genova in particular.  These reviews have merit as the ship,  and for sure is 'challenging' to do well in consistently.   Their biggest downside  IMO will the the lack of DPM due to the slow reload times and the effort it takes to make SAP work.

However.   I am have having fun in the Genova

• its fast, and can run down DDs that are over extended. 
  • Its nimble, and can dodge a lot of incoming (just don't allow yourself to get focused by more than two) or dance through a tight set of islands at speed to ambush stuff. 
  • its nimble, (so nimble I have to say it twice) easily breaking DD and CV hearts by turning their easy kill into torpedo beats.  Basically moves like a DD.  A big long DD yes, but still has that same feel in it maneuverability 
  • The torps are basically sea mines, good for area denial, and the torp angles are such that if you are caught in a position where you can ambush or have to charge a BB, you don't have to show much side to get them off.

Bottom line...  This line will be tough to have consistent success for most people.   Like a DD, it will have the most impact later in a game, finishing off low health ships or covering ground to switch flanks and take back an uncontested cap.   Speed and wiggle are going to be life for these ships IMO.   Drivers that can consistently combine aggression,  patience, and planning will be rewarded by these ships.   The rest of us will be frustrated

Edited by BadWolfz
  • Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
206 posts
2,310 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Italian cruisers are not boring.  :-)

Not boring at all...   At least in the Genova I'm enjoying the 'Oh <bleep> Oh <bleep> I'm gonna di.... wait... I didn't DIE!!!!' moments.

• Funny 1

[BOATC]
Members
385 posts
11,702 battles

I've had a few good games in the Amalfi, managed to outduel a Richelieu due to him eating a torp and a surprisingly effective 7k SAP salvo.

Members
864 posts
4 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

IMHO the lack of hydro really gimps the line in co-op. When you add this to everything else that is wrong with the line, it just makes them a miserable group of boats. 

They make decent kamikaze's , save your smoke for the ramming run on BB's , pop it 3-4k out if you're not already wrecked . :Smile_izmena: