You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cpt_RickSchwifty

Finally reached the breaking point.

71 comments in this topic

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,292 battles

Well, I think I have finally reached the breaking point for WoWs, been supporting this game nearly daily since beta, but the constant 1 sided matches have become to much.

For the 9th time in two days I have once again been the only person on my team to manage a kill and it just is not enjoyable anymore, the game lasted 6 minutes. I 100-0'd that Donskoi with 6 citadels, no one else contributed any damage to him at all, this is what 9 out of 14 games have looked like for me in the last two days and I just have had enough for now. I know its a major issue for others as well and is probably the primary thing holding this game back. 

WG you need to do something about your high tier MM, its a slaughter fest 80% of the time. Its either 2 competent players vs the enemy team, or you are basically just chasing the enemy to farm free damage in 8 out of 10 games. I really enjoyed the last few events, loved the filth raids, and loved the ranked seasons, but until Ranked comes back and the smaller teams make the game playable again. Im taking a hiatus.

image.thumb.png.3adbed79d828a45102bf0292bb110776.png

• Cool 14
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,381 posts
15,783 battles

Take a break, head to Co-op or operations or best yet try to separate "fun from win rate".

Cheers.

• Cool 6
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
2 minutes ago, Cpt_RickSchwifty said:

Well, I think I have finally reached the breaking point for WoWs, been supporting this game nearly daily since beta, but the constant 1 sided matches have become to much.

For the 9th time in two days I have once again been the only person on my team to manage a kill and it just is not enjoyable anymore, the game lasted 6 minutes. I 100-0'd that Donskoi with 6 citadels, no one else contributed any damage to him at all, this is what 9 our of 14 games have looked like for me in the last two days and I just have had enough for now. I know its a major issue for others as well and is probably the primary thing holding this game back. 

WG you need to do something about your high tier MM, its a slaughter fest 80% of the time. Its either 2 competent players vs the enemy team, or you are basically just chasing the enemy to farm free damage in 8 out of 10 games. I really enjoyed the last few events, loved the filth raids, and loved the ranked seasons, but until Ranked comes back and the smaller teams make the game playable again. Im taking a hiatus.

Ranked will be back next update.

Also, think of the 6 min game different: You spent less time in a battle you wouldn't have enjoyed. 

• Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts
2 minutes ago, Cpt_RickSchwifty said:

For the 9th time in two days I have once again been the only person on my team to manage a kill and it just is not enjoyable anymore, the game lasted 6 minutes. I 100-0'd that Donskoi with 6 citadels, no one else contributed any damage to him at all, this is what 9 our of 14 games have looked like for me in the last two days and I just have had enough for now. I know its a major issue for others as well and is probably the primary thing holding this game back. 

image.thumb.png.3adbed79d828a45102bf0292bb110776.png

You have just had a short run of bad luck with teams. Overall you are doing pretty good; in fact, better than at least half of the players in the game.

Battles 5 504 5 33 87
Win rate
Next level: Great (+1.2%)
54.78%
Very Good
40%
Bad
- 0.01% 48.48%
Below Average
- 0.04% 59.77%
Great

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,337 posts
20,013 battles

I too feel there something terribly wrong with the matchmaking lately they're not fun either way winning or losing

Blow outs are common not very many close games at all

• Cool 5

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,292 battles
12 minutes ago, paradat said:

Take a break, head to Co-op or operations or best yet try to separate "fun from win rate".

Cheers.

It's not about the loosing....it's about not having a team. Im the only one scoring a kill in the entire match 9 out of 14 games....that is not just "loosing" that's basically playing alone vs 12

I mean i wish I had the screen shot form a game I played last night, 6 BBs per side. ALL of my teams BBS on the 8/9 line driving broadside. The rest of us dead, I have the only kill on a poor Benson I nuked, and the BBs are running into each other as there is an enemy Shima on the 10 line torping them, no one shooting him. Full view of all the BBs, no one locking secondaries.....it's mind boggling. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

That is the nature of the game.  Once one team starts dying, the advantage of the other team grows disproportionately, especially if the person that died never got the chance to really fight back.  Sometimes if the deaths were meaningful you can fight back, but often, its a lost cause.  I'd love to see the stats on how often a team wins once they are down 2-3 ships.  Im sure its extremely low.

Let's be honest - if they really pushed out a matchmaking update that tried to balance out the teams according to some metric, the games would still largely be blowouts, and everyone would have an argument over why they used X metric instead of Z..  Matchmaking is a small symptom....the disease is that fact that no matter how good you are, there will be games where you didn't matter - and that rubs people wrong.  

Other solutions, like bonuses for the team that's dying, arms race buffs, etc, players have been steadfastly against in anything other than special modes.

They have shown an EXTREME resilience to requests to change how matchmaking works, beyond small changes that don't do much (the 20 game window not withstanding...I think that did a world of good).

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,642 posts
34,868 battles

Been there. Yesterday we had the wonderful 111%. But it requires a win of course.

Did 1-8 due to amazingly bad teams. All battles were one-sided. Not even close.

So I had to get a few 111% in coop.

WG should spend more resources in fixing MM to make it more balanced in selecting teams/players than rebork, Italian. sub-par cruisers or balanced ships like Somers, Colbert. or Smolensk.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[PLPTR]
[PLPTR]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
6,292 battles
24 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

That is the nature of the game.  Once one team starts dying, the advantage of the other team grows disproportionately, especially if the person that died never got the chance to really fight back.  Sometimes if the deaths were meaningful you can fight back, but often, its a lost cause.  I'd love to see the stats on how often a team wins once they are down 2-3 ships.  Im sure its extremely low.

Let's be honest - if they really pushed out a matchmaking update that tried to balance out the teams according to some metric, the games would still largely be blowouts, and everyone would have an argument over why they used X metric instead of Z..  Matchmaking is a small symptom....the disease is that fact that no matter how good you are, there will be games where you didn't matter - and that rubs people wrong.  

Other solutions, like bonuses for the team that's dying, arms race buffs, etc, players have been steadfastly against in anything other than special modes.

They have shown an EXTREME resilience to requests to change how matchmaking works, beyond small changes that don't do much (the 20 game window not withstanding...I think that did a world of good).

I'd agree, I don't know if MM is the answer here. Personally I feel like the teams are to big. I don't find nearly the same issues in Ranked as I do in Random battles and generally find the games far more tense and fun. As far as being down a few ships early, if you have a  div or 2-3 decent players on your team its not a big deal. I can tell you the 3 Man Sinop Div that I have been running for the last several days can typically win no matter how many early deaths our team takes. We loose when our team refuses to fight, and just runs away for the entire match. Again though it's not the losses that are driving me crazy. It's the TOTAL lack of anything approaching a team mate in randoms. In the game I posted above, the Iowa was the only person other than myself to in that game to ping any targets, actively tank by rotating repairs and heals, and try to setup some kind of front for people to fight around. He was the second ship in that game to come under fire and was 1v5 at one point and didn't die, I myself had to split to the other side of the map, and engage 5 people including a Montana at 9km from me to try and make anything happen, I bounced full volleys from him twice...I mean 9km from him and he can't even get a pen on me cause he knows how to aim that poorly. Both of the reward Icons are for Dreadnoughts on my team, the rest either instantly died to an obvious wave of torps, or just died with the only return firing coming from their auto secondaries. That Conqerour, Rank 1 mind you, never even got off the map border. He drove in a straight line all the way north along the map edge, then turned into the border to run way from an FDG, and eventually ground to a halt and died....that is the kind of thing killing my enjoyment lol. Loosing is fine but wishing you at least had some Bots on your team so you could at get some kind of supporting fire is just rage inducing. 

image.png.5cdbad50b35fead95a10923c972927c6.png

[RLGN]
Members
14,266 posts
25,117 battles
6 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

In any case; I can't really tell if that change did any good or not; if it was only for tier 8, then no wonder; I hardly play that. If the twenty games needs to be in a short period of time for the new MM to lock in, then double no wonder I haven't seen any change.

If it was for all tiers, I can't say I've noticed any real change, still seem to be bottom tier all the time.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

In any case; I can't really tell if that change did any good or not; if it was only for tier 8, then no wonder; I hardly play that. If the twenty games needs to be in a short period of time for the new MM to lock in, then double no wonder I haven't seen any change.

If it was for all tiers, I can't say I've noticed any real change, still seem to be bottom tier all the time.

It was for all tiers, with exceptions to t10 and t1 I guess.  Most people I talk to noticed an immediate change.  More all tier 10 games.  More top tier T9 and T8 games....

Its 20 games...over a day, week, month, year...whenever you get that 20 games in at a specific tier, you then will be either top tier or middle tier 60% of the games.  If you are not getting that and can prove it beyond confirmation bias, then you should put in a support ticket, because it was pretty close to that prior to the change, and its been pretty spot on with that since the change (when I was tracking it for a while).

[ARGSY]
Members
20,014 posts
14,281 battles

The problem is that you can't tell whether the people on your team are going to be good people having a bad day or bad ones about to pull out the game of their lives and actually do something.

I had two games in the Yorck yesterday that were a case in point. In both I ended up with four kills, including healthy battleships, and in one of them came very close to a Kraken (the last enemy ship surprised me on low health, sank me and dodged my torpedoes). One of those was a win because the team fought well; the other very quickly became an irretrievable loss on points (because of failure of cap control), in which I was fighting to stay alive and somehow managed a bunch of kills.

The irony of the lost battle was that our biggest potato got more base XP than the winning team's biggest potato - and the winners get a 50% bonus!

[TASC]
Members
411 posts
9,633 battles

i feel your pain sir. i have been doing more co-op and opperations than random the past few months. it isn't fun to be on either side of a curb stomp. 

Members
124 posts
2,067 battles

You may want balanced MM in teams  but AW learned real quickly that when something like that is put in place. The so called skilled player's will say its unfair to them.  One of the Developers in WOT already said the same thing a while back that any type of skilled base match making would not be put into the game due to it unfair to skilled player's. I don't know how they justify that? Its did stop land slide battles for a short time, till it was removed.

Edited by motleytanker
  • Boring 2

[GOOF]
Members
669 posts
5,868 battles

I agree with op something is wrong with these blowout loses when you do your utmost and still lose with top score , not once but repetitively. 

Topping a t9 match in my Yorck when we lose is disheartening, and points to something fishy. 

Greater encouragement for "noobs" to div would be great as opposed to recruitment, better players could result. 

Far stretch yes but there's really bad players out there and I've had those nights of 12 losses in a row with top scores. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The problem is that you can't tell whether the people on your team are going to be good people having a bad day or bad ones about to pull out the game of their lives and actually do something.

As usual, you are correct !  But, the hard reality is that the "perception" is that we are a competitive game somehow and that is driving requests to change the MM.....  But, since we are but a simple, mature, arcade cooperative shooter gets lost somehow?

There is zero reason to change the MM....  It is simply not a good business decision for our host to even entertain......  We aren't a competitive, e-sports game at all..........just an arcade shooter......  Now, if they want to change that premise.........that would be another story !  (don't hold your breath on that either.....)

So @Ensign_Cthulhu, you have the right of it as we are !  Some days, you get the bear and others, the bear gets you !  No more and no less.....

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,418 battles
1 hour ago, Cpt_RickSchwifty said:

WG you need to do something about your high tier MM, its a slaughter fest 80% of the time.

No they don't! Prove that with the data from 100% of all players in tier 8 to 10 battles that 80% are slaughter fest. 

• Boring 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,026 posts
17,410 battles
11 minutes ago, WES_HoundDog said:

Welcome to rigged games 2019,

They got to put the rigged players somewhere, why not on the same team?

How do I get on the teams rigged to win?

Edited by FrodoFraggin
  • Funny 1

Members
3,068 posts
15,886 battles

In the past two years +  every time I have a really good win streak day the following day is followed up with a losing streak. I'm not talking about losing 5 out of 8 battles. I'm talking about loosing 17 out of 20 battles.
There are many white knights that claim all is well as intended yet I can't find anyone who could explain why every win streak was followed up by a losing streak the very next time I logged in for the past 109 weeks in a row. mathematically speaking this shouldn't be possible unless there's some type of algorithm in place. Just saying.... 

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,349 posts
23,744 battles

I think the real issue here is the free hand outs WG is giving everyone.

I just sold 51 Halloween Camos because they provide a 100% experience bonus and they're ugly. They're really quite pointless compared to even the most recent Regina Marina camos that boost experience, free experience, and commander experience. Mosiac gives a 400% boost while Type 59 gives 200%.

The same crates and bundles that gave you those Regina Marina camos, and the French Riveria camos before that, also gave Red Dragon, Leviathan, and Oboros flags with amazing bonuses of 100% to 150% boosts to experience. 

Now top that off by giving players a minimum of 1,600 coal a day from daily missions, which give you the legendary beast flags as well each month,  and resource containers. Then tack on a biannual  25% coupon for resource ships at tiers 9 and 10 mostly. Thus even a 250k coal ship now drops to 187.5K which at 1600 coal daily translates 117 days of planting 6 games a day. That's not counting coal you can get from other containers, directives, or armory bundles.

Now mix that all together and what do you get?

Enough free experience, coal, and regular experience to speed grind your way through any line or attain a special resource ship without really ever needing to learn anything about the game.

Why is that DD running for a cap despite a radar ship being spotted 6km from the cap? Well he usually plays at Tier 5 so he doesnt know how radar works, which ships have it, or that the Russians have 12KM radar and not 10km like the USN.

Maybe he does knows all about radar but being a below average player he knows he wont last anyway. But hes mounted a Type 59 camo, a red dragon flag, and a Leviathan flag on his DD. If he can get just two torp hits hes going to get decent experince, especially if his team carriers him for a win. While his team decides whether he wins or loses hes already in the next battle with the same bonuses mounted to do it again. He can play 15 games in an hour and bring in 1200 experince on per loss.

He doesnt care though. He doesnt need to win, hes playing for fun and because of his personal obsession with the Gearing Class destroyers hes going to play every American destroyer with his bonuses maxed, as fast as possible until he gets his Gearing because it's going to be the most fun.

Seriously though, start looking into other players. See what tiers they generally play and what they're playing now or what they're posting about on the forum. The same guy that's complaining about Tier 4 CVs because it's his favorite DD tier to play is probably also asking for a Smolensk buff or nerf. Take notice of the amount of total battles played by players in your a tier 10 matches as well. It's not even about W/R it's literally just a complete lack of knowledge or experience.

All of this comes of course before the 4th snowflake event this year, where those same players will be collecting more bonus enhancing inventory items and rare resources just like the rest of us.

*holy rant on my part*

TL;DR: WG is making progression easier to the point where the inexperienced, unskilled, and unknowing can reach the higher tiers faster and easier than ever and its dragging down match quality.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,027 posts
13,273 battles

I feel for the people expressing disdain for being subjected to blowout after blowout, BUT...

For those who have run to co-op for refuge from face-stomps, or those recommending that people do so, I gotta tell you:

1. I'm sorry, but co-op IS facestomp after facestomp,

2. The fact that the facestomp refugees are saying they find their safe place in co-op, are revealing that their claims "It's not whether I win or lose, it's the omnipresence of the facestomp" to be a bit, umm, less than credible.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
Tighten up editing
  • Cool 2
  • Confused 1

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,193 battles

The only time I see that 60% rule is on weekends, mostly Saturdays when a lot of people are playing. During the week I am bottom tier more than 80% of the time at t7 and 80% at t8.  That rule goes out the window with the small weekday player base. And on Saturday even when top tier both teams often sucks, as they are weekend warriors who only play one or two weekends a month. The problem is not a large enough active player base 24/7. Once in a while you get lucky and get in a few close matches, had 3 last night (all bottom tier). Won 2 lost 1. Won 1 by 8 points. Today all blowouts so far.....

[AAA]
Members
447 posts
14,998 battles

WG fanboys would say that wasn't a stomp, OP.

It's not a science. My opinion is stomps are frequent at T7-10 because:

Divisions with very good players.

CVs.

People playing since 2015 with 45% WRs. Lots of them.

Lemming trains on seemingly every map.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,607 posts

25 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

mathematically speaking this shouldn't be possible unless there's some type of algorithm in place. Just saying.... 

If a player was penalized by being put with bad players if he won too many games in a row then there would be no unicums.

Blow-outs in team games are a lot like routes in battle and in both positive feedback mechanisms are involved. Some things that can precipitate a route:

• Loss of a key unit early on.
    • This may be through simple bad luck or incompetence, as when a DD gets taken out by a torpedo just as it enters a cap.
  • The other side capturing key terrain early on.
  • One side has a "super" unit that the other does not.
    • (cough, cough, "Smolensk").
  • The perception that your side is weaker than it is may lead to timidity.
  • The perception that your side is stronger than it is may lead to yoloing.
  • "Follow the Leader"
    • If you see someone running then your instance is to run too. Then the next person will see two people running and the next three and within a few minutes, the entire army is fleeing the battlefield.
  • The other side setting up a successful ambush.
  • Lack of communication.
  • Lack of skill or obstinance in an individual that controls a key unit. For example, a CV driver who refuses to spot for the team.
  • Substantial skill differential between the sides.
    • This occasionally occurs but not actually that often in WOWS.
  • One side possessing a skilled division while the other side does not.
    • With only 12 players to a side, three on one side who not only have substantial experience and skill but who also have worked together as a team can oftentimes run roughshod over the other team. If nothing else, this can simply be done by coordinating fire so as to take out a ship before it can withdraw and heal. Also, a coordinated division can ensure that its side has units with complementary strengths.
  • Caving in to peer pressure when you know it's not the right thing to do.
    • Just because people are whining for you to spot for them, give them air cover, attack a certain unit, help them hunt a DD, or go cap, doesn't mean that they are giving you good advice.
  • No chain of command.
    • In this game, there is no chain of command, unless given ad hoc to someone or worked out within a division beforehand. Success depends a lot on individuals acting in a coordinated fashion on their own accord.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1