You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
paradat

New German comander is Gunther Lutjens

28 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,426 posts
15,903 battles
Just now, _RC1138 said:

They announced that in a blog post a month or so ago.

Ah cool. Did it make the forum then? I certainly missed it if it did.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
1 minute ago, paradat said:

Ah cool. Did it make the forum then? I certainly missed it if it did.

IDK, it was actually much more than a month ago too:

https://medium.com/@devblogwows/gamescom-a4016c610b55

We are working on Italian and German heroic commanders:

1*XOCXy-AvYurelbOBsP4xiw.png

Günther Lütjens — Kriegsmarine admiral. During World War 2 was commanding the successful Scharnhorst and Gneisenau raid in Atlantic, was leading the operation of the legendary Bismarck. Went down with his ship in May of 1941 fighting the British Royal Navy.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,426 posts
15,903 battles
1 minute ago, Cheeezzy said:

Yo he's awesome! Can't wait to unlock GK so I could slap him in there

Yeah not sure where to put him. Might go with GK as well.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,426 posts
15,903 battles
1 minute ago, Xcalib3r said:

when is he going to be available?

Patch 8.11 so in about a month.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,426 posts
15,903 battles
1 minute ago, Commander_367 said:

Annnnd IJN ….

Crickets 

IJN was first.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,881 posts
16,361 battles

But here's something I haven't seen before ... or just missed ... some more expansion in the PA ranks ...

pa.jpg

[INTEL]
Members
3,059 posts
16,830 battles
1 hour ago, paradat said:

Looks like he is set up for German BB might have to swap out Bismarck commander for him.

https://www.wows-gamer-blog.com/2019/11/new-german-commander-and-test-ships.html

I'm thinking DD captain.

• Main armament reload acceleration
  • Restoration of HP for spotting
  • Advanced Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marksman and Improved Engine Boost
  • Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,909 battles
51 minutes ago, paradat said:

IJN was first.

The only IJN commander to see the light of day was a fix for the Yamato guns … 

Other nations get multiple captains with real skills 

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
52 minutes ago, paradat said:

Yeah not sure where to put him. Might go with GK as well.

Given his quoted skills:

He will have the following 4 talents, each of which is activated upon receiving a certain number of different ribbons:

• A one-time acceleration of secondary armament reload time — gained after receiving the ribbons for secondary armament hits.
  • A one-time acceleration of the main armament reload time — gained after receiving the ribbons for main armament hits.
  • Restoration of hit points — gained after receiving ribbons for spotting enemies. This talent works similarly to the “Repair party” consumable and can be activated repeatedly.
  • A one-time acceleration of aircraft restoration time — gained after receiving ribbons for scoring hits with torpedoes, bombs and rockets.

Günther Lütjens also has advanced “Preventive Maintenance”, “Expert Marksman” and “Improved Engine Boost” skills.

You obviously would not place him on a DD; PM, EM are not typically vital to KM DD's, nor do they have Secondary guns nor is the proportional increase in Main Battery hits useful enough to have more than a tenth of a second impact on a DD line already not particular well suited (for other reasons) to brawling. The free heal on spotting is nice, although I would suspect that will NOT be implemented long term as it seems too abuse-able even for a BB; I suspect it will get a limited number of activation otherwise it makes him literally the best commander for late game players where remaining health/consumables becomes the name of the game.

CA/CL's, maybe, the RoF boost is always welcomed as is the heals, although the already fast sluice ra

te on their turrets minimizes the usefulness of EM.

BB's make the most sense IMO, as they bennifit from all aspects (other than the off-side CV ones) of his skills, with PM keeping both your main battery and Secondaries talking, EM always a wonderful thing on a BB, even KM's with their faster rotation, reload increases are more noticeable on BB's where several seconds can be knocked off, secondary Fire rate is everything, and late game HP for KM BB's is always a problem. T8+, Bismarck being the obvious choice.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,426 posts
15,903 battles
25 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

I'm thinking DD captain.

• Main armament reload acceleration
  • Restoration of HP for spotting
  • Advanced Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marksman and Improved Engine Boost

Yeah even CV is viable. He could be good in any class. It was the secondary buff that grabbed my attention.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,059 posts
16,830 battles
Just now, paradat said:

Yeah even CV is viable. He could be good in any class. It was the secondary buff that grabbed my attention.

BB is the obvious choice.  For me it's going to be a DD captain primarily because I rarely play German BB anymore.  But I do play a lot of German DD and I do pretty well in some of them.

Improving the main battery reload, EM, PM and HP on a German DD if only a little, will benefit my play more than using him on ships I don't play.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,426 posts
15,903 battles
2 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

BB is the obvious choice.  For me it's going to be a DD captain primarily because I rarely play German BB anymore.  But I do play a lot of German DD and I do pretty well in some of them.

Improving the main battery reload, EM, PM and HP on a German DD if only a little, will benefit my play more than using him on ships I don't play.

Agreed. I almost am compelled to put him on Bismarck just for historical reasons. Spend a little gold and move my Bismarck captain up to GK. I reset and replayed the German BB's and had a ton of fun with them. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,059 posts
16,830 battles
7 minutes ago, paradat said:

Agreed. I almost am compelled to put him on Bismarck just for historical reasons. Spend a little gold and move my Bismarck captain up to GK. 

You reminded me of another reason.  I already have one of the Jutland commanders on my GK.  The other Jutland I swap between T-61 and Z-39.  He's only on those because of the JOAT skill and I play those ships a lot.  I'll probably make Lutjens the new captain on those ships and move Jutland to another ship.  Probably Hindenburg.

I can't remember the last time I played my Bismarck.  He'd be wasted there.

Edited by ClassicLib

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,426 posts
15,903 battles
15 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

You reminded me of another reason.  I already have one of the Jutland commanders on my GK.  The other Jutland I swap between T-61 and Z-39.  He's only on those because of the JOAT skill and I play those ships a lot.  I'll probably make Lutjens the new captain on those ships and move Jutland to another ship.  Probably Hindenburg.

I can't remember the last time I played my Bismarck.  He'd be wasted there.

That is a good idea, should be very viable. My favorite ship in the game is still Tirpitz so I am frequently playing my German BB's.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Nice!

Hey @BrushWolf did you see this already?

I heard something about a Special German commander awhile back but this is the first I knew who they chose and they chose a bad commander in my opinion because he followed orders to the letter even when it became obvious that the orders would not work. He couldn't adapt to changing conditions which was the problem with the Japanese army in WWII which Orde Wingate exploited to wear them down with the Chindits.

I feel that Lindemann from my signature or Langsdorff of the Graf Spee would have been much better choices but they are locked into choosing admirals.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,921 posts
26,913 battles

He has enough skills to benefit all of the KM lines.

Members
324 posts

Players have been complaining for MONTHS that the German battleships needed a buff....Commander Lütjens is obviously a buff to all German battleships.  That at least is a good thing.

I do also believe that he might be useful as a German destroyer captain or a German cruiser captain....of course the choice is left to the player.  His final buff to the aircraft engine boosts is obviously beneficial  is players decide to put him on their Graf Zeppelin aircraft carriers. Personally, I am going to put Lütjens as my Bismarck captain, especially given the history of him being the first--and last--commander of the might Bismarck.   Given that I also love sailing my Bismarck in her damaged permanent camo....having Lütjens as the captain will reinforce the idea that the Bismarck that I sail into Random Battles is a ghost ship. :cap_book:

• Cool 1

[TJRD]
Members
836 posts
5,456 battles
20 hours ago, Ciryandil said:

Given that I also love sailing my Bismarck in her damaged permanent camo....having Lütjens as the captain will reinforce the idea that the Bismarck that I sail into Random Battles is a ghost ship. :cap_book:

Even though I never use the damaged camo myself... I love this.