You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
nhf

WOW shadow nerf the Smolensk by increasing enemy AP salvo damage?

19 comments in this topic

[VW]
Members
357 posts

I played 4 games in the Smolensk today.  In 2 of the games I took 2 single salvo AP kills, one from ~19km the other from ~ 17km.  In the other 2 games, AP damage was far more severe than ever before, with most salvos being 40-60% HP loss.  I stopped playing.

I've played almost 150 games in the Smolensk.  I played the ship no different than any other night.  I had never taken that much consistent game-after-game AP damage in the ship.  Almost every AP salvo was causing unusually massive damage.  Could have just been a night of unlucky RNG.

Would WOW shadow nerf a ship?  In this case tweak AP damage to increase HP loss thereby more quickly removing the ship from the game?

Edited by nhf
  • Funny 4
  • Confused 1

[POP]
Members
2,400 posts
20,227 battles
1 hour ago, nhf said:

I played 4 games in the Smolensk today.  In 2 of the games I took 2 single salvo AP kills, one from ~19km the other from ~ 17km.  In the other 2 games, AP damage was far more severe than ever before, with most salvos being 40-60% HP loss.  I stopped playing.

I've played almost 150 games in the Smolensk.  I played the ship no different than any other night.  I had never taken that much consistent game-after-game AP damage in the ship.  Almost every AP salvo was causing unusually massive damage.  Could have just been a night of unlucky RNG.

Would WOW shadow nerf a ship?  In this case tweak AP damage to increase HP loss thereby more quickly removing the ship from the game?

So let me get this straight you played your HAND OF STALIN BROKEN OP MOTHERLAND ship  " TWICE " and because you got hit by two lucky shots which did more than scratch your paint work you took your toy and went home that's TRAGIC I really feel for you man :Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

On the subject of World of Warcraft WOW didn't know you could play Smolensk in that game, is that a crossover collaboration between WG and Blizzard Entertainment good to know thanks.

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Community Department
3,199 posts
1,206 battles
1 hour ago, nhf said:

It's normal situation for the Smolensk from the beginning. One good salvo from any BB plus some luck with RNG may nerf the ship to the Port like some other cruisers. No special rules for the Smolensk here.
We don't practice such shadow nerfs. It's completely unacceptable in any case. All the changes are usually announced in advance on the Portal within big Updates.

[-K-]
Members
7,668 posts
12,606 battles
4 hours ago, nhf said:

Could have just been a night of unlucky RNG.

Exactly.  

For every Smolensk I've been able to dev strike, I'll likely straight up overpen 10-15 more in the same situation.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,758 posts
16,727 battles

Even then, damage mechanics are global, pretty well understood and predictable. No ship specific nerf is even possible without changing the armor of the ship in question.

• Cool 2

Members
1,279 posts

aggravated by the fact that the Smolensk has (as any other VMF/CL) a 'panoramic' exposed citadel which makes him a really squishy CL. The outcome is described by the OP...who may have battled with good BB players that know how to aim well. The flat ballistic arc makes the Smolensk easier to aim compared to the Wooster, who has way high ballistic arcs but a very tiny exposed citadel...Yet, the absence of radar, his inability to use the terrain well, and his intrinsic squishiness makes the Smolensk less competitive IMHO...

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,758 posts
16,727 battles
46 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

Players are just learning how to counter it is all. I've sank a few in my Wichita.

TBF USN 8" AP is particularly good at murdering Smolensks.

[WALET]
Members
6 posts
2,743 battles
8 hours ago, turbo07 said:

It's normal situation for the Smolensk from the beginning. One good salvo from any BB plus some luck with RNG may nerf the ship to the Port like some other cruisers. No special rules for the Smolensk here.
We don't practice such shadow nerfs. It's completely unacceptable in any case. All the changes are usually announced in advance on the Portal within big Updates.

I am very pleased to hear that shadow nerfs are not practiced. Thank you for transparency! 

Edited by Blackjack917

[WOLF6]
Members
834 posts
7,855 battles
On 11/12/2019 at 12:48 PM, Kebobstuzov said:

*Laughs in HE BB*
*Laughs in Kleber AP*

But it's more fun to come on the forum and complain than it is to switch to HE .

[O7]
Members
2,004 posts
16,306 battles
58 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

But it's more fun to come on the forum and complain than it is to switch to HE .

Fair enough. Though it was VERY fun to surprise devstrike a smolensk in his smoke with yamato HE yesterday. :P

[WOLF6]
Members
834 posts
7,855 battles
1 hour ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Fair enough. Though it was VERY fun to surprise devstrike a smolensk in his smoke with yamato HE yesterday. :P

I was being sarcastic , I suggested the same thing on another Smolensk complaint thread , it doesn't register with some people . But I'm sure some of the same individuals will switch to HE on an angled BB but it doesn't occur to them to use it on the Smolensk and yeah the GK can swat them quite well with HE too . ;)

[SYJ]
Members
313 posts
11,333 battles

If you are sitting still in smoke, it is so easy to launch a spotter plane and zero in on the gap between the muzzle flashes. 

[DRHS]
[DRHS]
Members
391 posts
17,450 battles

WG wouldn't do that, dont get me wrong the Smolnsk NEED"S some MAJOR nerfs. The ROF combined with it's range make it one of the most over powered ship's WG has ever released. Your other HE spamers like the Atlanta, Flint and others have a limited range and in the Atanta's case no smoke. A possible 19.2 km range coupled with smoke, decent torps and it's ROF have the ship screaming to be nerfed. She's manuverable enough that a BB has a difficult time hitting it at range, almost as bad as a DD at range. And lets not fool anyone here , BB's are the Smolnesk's target of choice. 

I feel dirty with a Minotaur and it's rainbow of shells, Smolensk is just so broken it's not even fun to play. It's like throwing a 19 point captain in a T4 ship and going seal clubing. Some think it's "fun" those that do are childish greifers. And IMO all that use the Smolnsk are just that.

Don't get me wrong here, if (and thats a mighty BIG if) the captain screws up he can be deleted quickly. But when played properly she can farm damage like no other ship in the game with impunity. We all know there is a Russian Bias to all Wargaming Games, but this ship along with the Stalingrad take it to the Ultimate Bias.