shadowsrmine

I Like the Sound of This and We Need to do it

11 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,086 posts
19,199 battles

We need MUCH better technology, and a few hundred years.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,081 posts
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

:Smile_great:th?id=OIP.VNV3TzQUw3ZAzI3bMoMFHQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300You might just be wrong about that after all in less than 60 years we went from no planes to the moon....................

• Cool 1

Members
3,582 posts
12,963 battles
3 hours ago, Umikami said:

2 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

:Smile_great:th?id=OIP.VNV3TzQUw3ZAzI3bMoMFHQAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300You might just be wrong about that after all in less than 60 years we went from no planes to the moon....................

I believe, we as a species have the technological capabilities and knowledge to accomplish such a task but it's just not collectively focused. We lack a greater or more urgent motivation to actually pursue it. A potential trigger that pushes us to attempt such an endeavor, could be on the horizon though.

Edit: I do agree though it would still take a significant amount of time to actually terraform Mars.

Edited by Rollingonit

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
2 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

:Smile_great:You might just be wrong about that after all in less than 60 years we went from no planes to the moon....................

For acquiring and testing the initial tech? That I'd agree with. To get it done? Oh no, THAT would take serious time. This kind of thing would need to be done slowly and deliberately, not even accounting for the fact that we'd basically have to set things in motion and let them take their own course aligning with what we want to happen. These are POWERFUL forces that we'd be messing with.

[O_O]
Members
6,436 posts
15,330 battles

It took Earth about a billion years to terraform itself into a planet that could sustain life.  Mars isn't a new planet, so maybe it won't take that long once we kick start the process.

Still, I think I will pass on the Mars real estate opportunities.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,086 posts
19,199 battles
4 hours ago, shadowsrmine said:

True, but then again GOING to Mars and CHANGING Mars into Earth might be two different things.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,081 posts
3 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

I believe, we as a species have the technological capabilities and knowledge to accomplish such a task but it's just not collectively focused. We lack a greater or more urgent motivation to actually pursue it. A potential trigger that pushes us to attempt such an endeavor, could be on the horizon though.

Edit: I do agree though it would still take a significant amount of time to actually terraform Mars.

3 hours ago, Landsraad said:

For acquiring and testing the initial tech? That I'd agree with. To get it done? Oh no, THAT would take serious time. This kind of thing would need to be done slowly and deliberately, not even accounting for the fact that we'd basically have to set things in motion and let them take their own course aligning with what we want to happen. These are POWERFUL forces that we'd be messing with.

1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

It took Earth about a billion years to terraform itself into a planet that could sustain life.  Mars isn't a new planet, so maybe it won't take that long once we kick start the process.

Still, I think I will pass on the Mars real estate opportunities.

1 hour ago, Umikami said:

True, but then again GOING to Mars and CHANGING Mars into Earth might be two different things.

:Smile_great:Never said it would be accomplished in a day or a year or even 50 years,We Can start on it tho this would be an act of many generations,Still we need to stop talking and start doing.Starting off with a moon colony not that would be could be done in a few years either,We can get started tho

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles
5 hours ago, LiskaBystrouska said:

If the Climate Change wonks are right, we may have to terraform Earth.:Smile_sad:

"If"?  There's no "if", all you have to do is look at how crazy the weather has been the last couple of years. We just broke the record for consecutive years in which at least one Category 5 hurricane occurred. Heck just this year Hurricane Dorian was able to stall out and just sit over the Carolinas while MAINTAINING its strength. Hurricanes that stall out are supposed to weaken and disperse, but just a few degrees of water temperature were all it took to keep it running for multiple days until the upper level winds got a chance to get it moving again.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,625 posts

Ther is a reason why Mars has almost no atmosphere (1/206th that of Earth), and it is because it has no magnetic field. Without its magnetic field, the solar wind would have blown off Earth's atmosphere long ago. 

Instead of trying to terraform Mars, why not change the Antarctic into an arable habitat or the tops of the Himalayas. The coldest, driest, and most desolate places on Earth are Edens compared to Mars, where there is no oxygen, very little atmospheric pressure, no ozone layer or magnetic field to shield a person from the Sun's radiations, and the soil itself is toxic to life.