You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KilljoyCutter

Next time someone claims WG never uses "history" to advertise WOWS...

58 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles

They advertise on The History Guy's videos too but of course I can't find one with a WG ad.

Members
4,362 posts
11,269 battles

It’s pretty clear (to me at least), WG claims historical when they feel like it, stats-tweaked-for-balance when they feel like it, and perfectly-balansed-comrade-da? for anything even remotely Russian that they can.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,113 posts
19,208 battles
1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

It’s pretty clear (to me at least), WG claims historical when they feel like it, stats-tweaked-for-balance when they feel like it, and perfectly-balansed-comrade-da? for anything even remotely Russian that they can.

Like they say at the BINGO parlor …… WE HAVE A WINNER!

• Cool 2

[POP]
Members
2,847 posts
22,808 battles
3 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Comrade MidnightPhoenix07ski we here at WGski try to do our best to balance WESTERN CAPITALIST ships so that they perform to highest standards of subpar game play.

WE are displeased at reading what you have written about glorious Motherland ships like Khabarovsk, Stalingrad, Smolensk, Kremlin, Oleg and Krispy Kreme  Krasny Krym , we will be sending members of staff ( former KGB ) to your house to take you to Gulag for indoctrination program.  

Dasvidaniya Comrade

Edited by tm63au
  • Funny 2

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles

They've also sponsored quite a few videos from Extra History as well. The most recent was on the Berlin Wall, but they've also sponsored the Hunt for the Bismarck, their multi-part series on D-Day from multiple points of view, the 1914 Christmas Truce (that one gets me every time), the huge role that supply and resources played in WWII, the Battle of Kursk, the Berlin Airlift, and the Defense of Poland at the very least.

They're honestly really cool on digging up and sharing a whole bunch of interesting historical stuff. Sure it doesn't always get applied in-game for balance reasons (among others), but it's still pretty cool.

[F4E]
Members
283 posts
7,077 battles

This general theme comes up frequently...

This is a game...not a simulation.  If it were realistic, ships that were spotted would be visible on the minimap but you would only have targeting-quality information (heading, range, and speed) on ships that you can see directly (just as one example).

There is a lot of historical flavor and interest, but at the end of the day this is a game and there are sacrifices that have to be made for competitive balance, playability, and so forth...

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,168 battles

Not sure what the issue here is.  They advertise where they think they can pick up new players.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts

The issue is that certain posters aggressively attack any appeal to history, and that WG themselves treat history as an excuse rather than a foundation, while at the same time the game is advertised to those who'd be interested in historical elements.   If the game is "just an arcade game", then stop advertising it as if it were at all historical. 

More specifically, these linked ads are a direct refutation of every post that denies the fact that WG tries to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to the historical elements.  Every time someone dismisses the historical aspect in an argument, they're getting a link to this thread, from now on.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 4
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 2

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,256 posts
16,142 battles

I think you're digging a little too deep into this. 

Gasboy hit the nail on the head, its advertisement in an avenue there may be people interested in the game. Why do toy manufacturers advertise during segments of kids shows, to hit their interested audience.

Much of our playerbase has some level of interest in history, whether it be general or deep. While it is not a simulator, and is not all historically accurate, it does touch on elements of history and there are many historical elements within the game that may appeal to those who have an interest in history. 

Fem, 

• Cool 9
  • Boring 3

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,414 posts
15,870 battles

Wait advertising on history focused YouTube channels is a bad thing? That is crazy talk. Of course they would advertise in that medium and venue. This game is history based (yes I know then massively adjusted for gameplay).

WG also supports the preservation of a bunch of WW2 history sites museums education etc.... Military history buffs and gamers are a big part of WG's target audience after all. Is this some strange attempt to call it hypocritical? Good grief.... just silly. Think about it.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
1 hour ago, Femennenly said:

Gasboy hit the nail on the head, its advertisement in an avenue there may be people interested in the game. Why do toy manufacturers advertise during segments of kids shows, to hit their interested audience.

Much of our playerbase has some level of interest in history, whether it be general or deep. While it is not a simulator, and is not all historically accurate, it does touch on elements of history and there are many historical elements within the game that may appeal to those who have an interest in history. 

Fem, 

:Smile_honoring:

54 minutes ago, paradat said:

Wait advertising on history focused YouTube channels is a bad thing? That is crazy talk. Of course they would advertise in that medium and venue. This game is history based (yes I know then massively adjusted for gameplay).

WG also supports the preservation of a bunch of WW2 history sites museums education etc.... Military history buffs and gamers are a big part of WG's target audience after all. Is this some strange attempt to call it hypocritical? Good grief.... just silly. Think about it.

:Smile_honoring:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
1 minute ago, Harathan said:

I wish I had this much free time on my hands to gripe about inconsequential rubbish.

Evidently you do.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,215 posts
21,439 battles

Uhm, OK.  For "nongamers" this is where they link their product.  Personally, I don't know where they hooked me but it was likely somewhere similar.  Don't forget all the partnerships with the various memorials as well.  Is this a bad thing, NO.  Frankly, this is a place where people come and talk SHIP.  Because they ping content that is related does not mean they are writing a documentary here.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
Just now, Harathan said:

Well, at least you agree that the premise of this thread is inconsequential rubbish. That's very progressive of you. 

That's your assessment, whether I agree or not is beside the point.

You're here, posting (twice now) in a thread that YOU say is inconsequential rubbish, and taking shots at people for how much free time they supposedly have.

Is the irony of that really so lost on you? 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
3 minutes ago, Harathan said:

You're griping about a game company advertising a game you actively play.

Is the irony of that really so lost on you?

There's no irony there. 

This isn't a tribe, it's idiotic to have loyalty to a company.   If anything, customers (and former customers, like I am) should have more motivation to comment on a company, not less. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
3 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Um, OK.  For "nongamers" this is where they link their product.  Personally, I don't know where they hooked me but it was likely somewhere similar.  Don't forget all the partnerships with the various memorials as well.  Is this a bad thing, NO.  Frankly, this is a place where people come and talk SHIP.  Because they ping content that is related does not mean they are writing a documentary here.

That's fine. 

But you don't advertise as a fish restaurant and then serve only salads -- and then laugh at people who show up looking for fish. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
1 minute ago, Harathan said:

Actually what's idiotic is complaining about the nuances of said company's advertising strategies, but sure, you go ahead and pretend that being rabidly anti-WG at every opportunity isn't "tribal".

Go right ahead pretending that anyone here is being "rabidly anti-WG at every opportunity". 

And go right ahead making your first post more and more ironic. 

12 minutes ago, Harathan said:

I wish I had this much free time on my hands to gripe about inconsequential rubbish. Tho I'd use that time to better purpose.

So.... is this the "better purpose" you had in mind?   Making spurious unfounded attacks on other posters for the "crime" of criticizing how WG advertises? 

(Not that they advertise, how they advertise.) 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
1 hour ago, Femennenly said:

Fem, 

Trying to draw people into this game with "history" in the same year that you did the CV rebork and the "submarines"-in-name-only introduction seems misguided at best.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
7 minutes ago, Harathan said:

There's nothing spurious or unfounded in pointing out that your wailing and gnashing teeth over WG daring to advertise their game makes you look like a prat.

Please, continue to make plain how hollow your original comment about "wasting time" was.

(Never mind that you keep failing to actually attack what I've posted, but rather tilt at what you wish or imagine I'd posted.  Here's a hint, I'm not criticizing THAT they advertise, but HOW they advertise.  There's nothing wrong with a salad bar advertising, but there is something wrong with a salad bar advertising itself as a burger joint.)

E:  But since it's obvious you're just here to take shots and don't care about what was actually said, or the facts... and this has long been your normal MO...  you can direct the rest of your own "wailing and gnashing of teeth" at silence.  /plonk

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts

So anyway, back to the actual point of the thread.

Here we have ads deliberately and directly trying to draw people in on the basis that the game is historical, to appeal to their interest in history. 

Yet, every time something actively anti-historical is done to the game, we're told "but it's not a historical game, it's not supposed to be historical" and so on, and basically told we're idiots for expecting anything historical from it -- when WG is directly advertising to "historical appeal".

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[BBMOD]
Members
348 posts
5,767 battles
16 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Trying to draw people into this game with "history" in the same year that you did the CV rebork and the "submarines"-in-name-only introduction seems misguided at best.

Huh?

Maybe it's lost on you but both CVs and submarines appeared during the time period this game covers. This game is full of historical elements but it is still at it's core an arcade game and not a simulation. If you really want to play a very accurate and detailed historical simulation of the time period I recommend the miniatures game Seekrieg V.  Please stop trying to make this arcade game into something it's not and never was.

• Cool 1