You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lordnaarghul

I made a decision today, and I'm not sure if I should regret it.

26 comments in this topic

[SAMPS]
Members
81 posts
2,135 battles

Today is Veteran's Day here in the U.S.. I only had roughly 6000 doubloons, and at the moment I am IRL broke. I don't know when I'll be able to get new doubloons, but I was poking around the armory and I saw the U.S.S. Arizona, and because of a coupon, I could afford her. Now I'm a child of a military family, and my grandfather himself fought in the Pacific. So, at least the thought running through my head was, I'll buy this ship in honor of his memory. But...ehh, I don't know if I should have. The act feels a bit hollow, and yet the historical significance of the U.S.S. Arizona to even my own family can't be ignored. As far as how the ship plays,  that's not an issue for me: battleships are what I like to sail. 

In any event, the act is done. 

• Cool 8
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles

If you enjoy the ship there is nothing to regret. Hats off to your grandfather. Compared to what that generation did, from Normandy to the sub captains, to the convoy crews, anything we do is hollow. They willingly walked into certain death. All we can do is honor them and hope to be 1/4 the men that they were.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Cool 7

[SAMPS]
Members
81 posts
2,135 battles

Thing is, it's a battleship. I like big ships with the big guns, so I'm going to enjoy it. She's no Warspite, but I love the heck out of the New Mexico  and the Arizona seems similar. 

Members
510 posts
14,057 battles

You won't regret it.    You'll continually add to your fleet in the future, and you would want Arizona in your port sooner or later.     

I enjoy reading about WWII naval battles, and I find it fascinating when I read familiar ship names, and some of the action they saw.

[RLGN]
Members
14,297 posts
25,169 battles
24 minutes ago, NuiNiuhiNui said:

Arizona is a good ship.  If you like New Mexico, you will like Arizona.

So much this.

If there's any 'problem' with Arizona, it might be the same I have with Warspite and Queen Elizabeth. If I have the one, why should I play the other?

If I don't play QE, I'll never get enough xp for KGV, unless I convert ship xp. (How long have RN BBs been out? I think I have maybe 25k ship xp on QE? WAY short of even considering getting KGV.)

Don't forget to play New Mexico, if you don't already have Colorado.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,656 battles
6 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal said:

Arizona is junk. Should have gotten WeeVee.

They both get dabbed on by skycancer though...

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,103 posts
4,084 battles
45 minutes ago, Lordnaarghul said:

Thing is, it's a battleship. I like big ships with the big guns, so I'm going to enjoy it. She's no Warspite, but I love the heck out of the New Mexico  and the Arizona seems similar. 

If you love the NM you'll love the AZ, it's the NM but with better dispersion (compensated by worse AA, WG's dark sense of humor I suppose). Plays very much the same. I play more high tier now, but the AZ is a very solid T6 premium BB. I like mine, should take it out for veterans day, thanks for the reminder:Smile_izmena:

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Think of it like this: if one guy sees you and goes 'What the heck was the Arizona?' and looks it up, you've done us (and him) a service.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,469 posts

Arizona is a beast.   It's pretty accurate for a tier 6 BB, has better armor than New Mex, and has the same secondaries.   The only drawback is the sad AA.

West Virginia 41' shares that quirk- but is NOT an especially accurate ship.  ( a downtiered Colorado A hull- they had to nerf something, or 8 16" guns at tier 6 would have been monstrous)   However, it IS still good!   (and imho, MORE Colorados are better than fewer Colorados)

I like to think of my Arizona as the ingame representation of the USS Pennsylvania.   AZ's sister ship, and a Pearl Harbor survivor.   She went on to accumulate quite a reputation for gunnery over the course of the war- and Arizona reflects that in-game.    At the very least, mine has PA's gunnery crew onboard, lol.     So, you get 2 for one:  a memorial ship to those who died in the attack, and a playable ship that definitely lives up to it's sister ship's legacy.

[SIAS]
Members
321 posts
13,670 battles

Arizona has history on its side and a spiffy camo, its drawbacks are a top speed that makes you wish your teammates could tow you into battle and only moderately effective AA.

Members
4,352 posts
11,259 battles

As others have said, if you like New Mex and can handle the slow speeds without pulling out your hair, Arizona will feel quite comfortable and familiar, just slightly better accuracy at the expense of AA compared to a top New Mex. Yes, WV41 also exists at t6, but being a Colorado A-hull it has more similarities to that than New Mex (plus to make the 16 inch guns and all of the potential overmatch balanced at t6, it had to be nerfed quite a bit even from old stock Colorado levels), so if you don’t like Colorado you probably won’t enjoy WV41. Both are decent ships (although I wouldn’t necessarily like either one purely because the one thing I hated about the USN standards is the super slow speeds), but between the two I’d actually say Arizona is a slightly better choice, even ignoring the obvious historical and (for you) personal connections it brings.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles
1 hour ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Arizona is a beast.   It's pretty accurate for a tier 6 BB, has better armor than New Mex, and has the same secondaries.   The only drawback is the sad AA.

West Virginia 41' shares that quirk- but is NOT an especially accurate ship.  ( a downtiered Colorado A hull- they had to nerf something, or 8 16" guns at tier 6 would have been monstrous)   However, it IS still good!   (and imho, MORE Colorados are better than fewer Colorados)

I like to think of my Arizona as the ingame representation of the USS Pennsylvania.   AZ's sister ship, and a Pearl Harbor survivor.   She went on to accumulate quite a reputation for gunnery over the course of the war- and Arizona reflects that in-game.    At the very least, mine has PA's gunnery crew onboard, lol.     So, you get 2 for one:  a memorial ship to those who died in the attack, and a playable ship that definitely lives up to it's sister ship's legacy.

Lol are you kidding me? WV is insanely accurate. Arizona has scatterguns.

Edited by Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles
3 hours ago, Lordnaarghul said:

Today is Veteran's Day here in the U.S.. I only had roughly 6000 doubloons, and at the moment I am IRL broke. I don't know when I'll be able to get new doubloons, but I was poking around the armory and I saw the U.S.S. Arizona, and because of a coupon, I could afford her. Now I'm a child of a military family, and my grandfather himself fought in the Pacific. So, at least the thought running through my head was, I'll buy this ship in honor of his memory. But...ehh, I don't know if I should have. The act feels a bit hollow, and yet the historical significance of the U.S.S. Arizona to even my own family can't be ignored. As far as how the ship plays,  that's not an issue for me: battleships are what I like to sail. 

Military families get it.  When you sincerely thank a veteran for their service (in any way), it is a wonderful thing.

Most civilians do not get it.  They say "Thank you for your service" because it's popular or it's just what you say.  I don't believe the sincerity.  Some of these same folks saying that would be spitting on veterans and calling them baby killers when that come back in vogue.  I don't give 2 sh1ts for their thanks.  They can choke on it for all I care.  I remember being 9 years old, picking up my dad at the airport and watching people spit at him, throw stuff at him and call him names.  The same people who are "thanking" veterans now.  It means less than nothing.  My dad was a deep blue hero and they spit on him.  He earned THREE Bronze Stars in 14 months, and they called him names.  Shameful.

You, on the other hand, being part of a military family, do get it.  Your thanks IS appreciated.  When you purchased an iconic battleship that has real meaning to many, many veterans and their families (yours included), you were thanking those sailors for their service.  You understand the sacrifice.

Good on you, mate.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,626 posts
3 hours ago, Lordnaarghul said:

I won my Arizona from a supercontainer and have really enjoyed playing it. I play it mostly in Ranked battles when at its tier. It's a bit slow but very accurate with a lot of guns for its tier. Best of all, as a Premium, you can throw in your 19-point high-tier captains when you play it or use it to rank up lower-point captains of the USN line.

My family also has a long history of military service. My great-great-grandfather served in the Civil War with the Union cavalry. My great-uncle flew bombers in WWII and Korea. My Dad and Uncle served in Germany and Korea in the 50s. I served in the 70s. My cousin's youngest boys served in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

• Cool 1

Members
3,090 posts
6,653 battles
13 hours ago, Lordnaarghul said:

Well, fortunately you can't buy anything IRL with doubloons, so it's not like spending doubloons you already have is irresponsible when broke. I think you'll enjoy Arizona.

12 hours ago, Battlecruiser_PrncsRoyal said:

Arizona is junk. Should have gotten WeeVee.

12 hours ago, pikohan said:

They both get dabbed on by skycancer though...

... but fortunately not in Aegis, which is where I do all my WeeVee sailing!

[TIGRB]
Members
854 posts
16,499 battles

Always remember, Next to War, All human endevours shrink to insignficance. George Patton Jr. I thank your Grand Father for his service.

Members
229 posts
904 battles
14 hours ago, Lordnaarghul said:

I can't stand slow USN BBs like New York, but for some reason I really love the Arizona. It's my favorite mid tier BB by far.

[SAMPS]
Members
81 posts
2,135 battles

So a day later, I've thought and: I don't have any regrets. I've not had any stellar games in her yet, but these things are as luck based. 

But my next goal is either the Turpitz or the Bismarck. I've found I like how German battleships play. 

[-F-]
Members
1,674 posts
12,363 battles
On 11/11/2019 at 8:18 PM, Lordnaarghul said:

You can just keep in dock as honor to all who have serve on this. I know when I see this in game, even as a Croat, it give me not easy feeling to see this.

Or

You can take her out and show them japan ship a what for as revenge =D