You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mirage357

What Unicum players bring to the table

292 comments in this topic

[QQ7]
Members
51 posts
8,072 battles

I am not considered a Unicum player, as you can see below my overall stats show it.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c579e97c040f79b3af477936ce6037be.png

owever at the start of this year I decided I wanted to do better, I started spending time on peoples twitch streams, specifically unicum players. I took in all the information I could regarding what I could be doing better. I even got to division with one of the best cruiser players on the NA server a number of times. I made people aware of my will to improve, I reached out to a number of people that I knew could help me, the majority being 07 and ex-ZR members, and my results started to show.

Solo

Spoiler

image.png.405ac30f848df03f188e559c91b05ab3.png

Overall

Spoiler

image.png.f9d5192513b7d484209c8ac6fab66864.png

Some of my time has been purely solo and some in a division, my goal right now is to get to 60% WR and 1800PR on my overall stats. My page clearly shows I have boats that I struggle in but also clearly shows that there are some I do quite well in. As I mentioned before at the start of this year no one in 07 or ZR had ever heard of me. The first time I engaged with members from either clan about how I could be doing things better they openly gave me advice without caring who I was or how well I played. I showed initiative and a willingness to improve and they gave me their time, I've made it onto ship leader boards thanks to their advice and I've learned a great deal, I have a long way to go with a lot more to learn but that's what it takes.

Just a few weeks ago I applied to QQ7 and was welcomed in with open arms. I see the opinion of what some people on the forum think of Unicum players and honestly it disgusts me to see people throw aside such opportunity to learn and discuss things with them in favour for the option that they stop posting things here. People say they know so much about them but I tell you if you got to spend the quality time with them that I do you would see a different side to these people and understand just how much they love this game and how heart broken they get when they see things going wrong. I once again invite people here to seek Unicum players out for advice (hopefully you don't overwhelm them) they are more willing to help players than most people understand, but don't be surprised if they give you straight facts and don't pull their punches. If you expect them to be humble and help you then you also must be humble and understand your place in terms of skill as a player and not think yourself too good to listen.

Spoiler

image.png

• Cool 25
  • Boring 9

Members
2,030 posts
16,897 battles

Very well put and glad to see you around recently, I will say I have found a lot of joy in helping other clans and players who have approached me with anything from how to make Abruzzi less bad to how to call in clan battles. There isn't much left for a lot of us who have all the ships to do, so helping others who are WILLING to learn is something I and I believe many others enjoy.

• Cool 3

Members
2,030 posts
16,897 battles
9 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

[hidden]

Am I not allowed to respond to a post in a constructive manner, furthering the conversation? I saw him mention it to you in the other active thread atm and figured I would take a look. I found it to be a well thought out and productive post and responded in turn. That is what a forum is for.

• Cool 1

Members
2,439 posts
5,379 battles

Until some of them stop acting like Kardashians and more like Keanu Reeves (very successful but very humble), then they will have that stigma attached to them.

Yes we know your good. Yes we know you can devote so much time to the game and that's because you are good. But stroking your E-pen around like your something special gets annoying VERY FAST

Edited by Legio_X_
  • Cool 8
  • Funny 2

Members
2,030 posts
16,897 battles
9 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

[hidden]

Nothing is laughable here but sure. Please let's not derail a perfectly positive thread that can actually help the community. Myself and most other "top level players" learned by playing with and learning from people who were better than us. When I started I learned from notser before joining a clan of people who were willing to help me elevate to another level. The single best thing ANYONE can do in this game is open themselves up to learning from fellow players, no matter how good or bad a player you are.

• Cool 2

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles
3 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Until some of them stop acting like Kardashians and more like Keanu Reeves (very successful but very humble), they they will have that stigma attached to them.

Yes we know your good. Yes we know you can devote so much time to the game and that's because you are good. But stroking your E-pen around like your something special gets annoying VERY FAST

look at the creature waxing gibbous typing away and see why we mostly use forum for sarcastic/baiting purposes

believe it or not we are actually nice humans you can join our discord and we will openly chat back.

Edited by Benched_ferlyfe

Members
2,439 posts
5,379 battles
3 minutes ago, Benched_ferlyfe said:

look at the creature waxing gibbous typing away and see why we mostly use forum for sarcastic/baiting purposes

believe it or not we are actually nice humans you can join our discord and we will openly chat back.

Yes he seems to be following you guys around like a fan. 

• Funny 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,612 posts
14,667 battles

Listen to other people? No way, only my ideas are worth anything! 

• Funny 1

Members
220 posts
6,578 battles

At moment I'm an average player, but over the last 8 months have progressively got majorly better.

It may be an excuse but until I actually joined a clan I never even took the game that seriously. I do now mainly due to Clan battles and actually grouping up with people where when I started out I was totally solo and probably acted like a weekend warrior.

Does it make me a bad player that deserves stat shaming that has happened in the past, not really as the progression as far as I see it is there over the last 8 months. Had I been in a clan from day one of starting the game maybe i'd have unicum stats overall.

Some people have the benefit of being in a top clan like O7 and get a first hand on approach into becoming better - some of us don't. 

I think for someone that got in a top clan and has benefited from it is a good thing

total everything.PNG

Overall

overall.PNG

Solo

Solo.PNG

Division

Division.PNG

Edited by Feclez

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,936 posts
11,607 battles
49 minutes ago, Mirage357 said:

I am not considered a Unicum player, as you can see below my overall stats show it.

However at the start of this year I decided I wanted to do better, I started spending time on peoples twitch streams, specifically unicum players. I took in all the information I could regarding what I could be doing better. I even got to division with one of the best cruiser players on the NA server a number of times. I made people aware of my will to improve, I reached out to a number of people that I knew could help me, the majority being 07 and ex-ZR members, and my results started to show.

Solo

Overall

Some of my time has been purely solo and some in a division, my goal right now is to get to 60% WR and 1800PR on my overall stats. My page clearly shows I have boats that I struggle in but also clearly shows that there are some I do quite well in. As I mentioned before at the start of this year no one in 07 or ZR had ever heard of me. The first time I engaged with members from either clan about how I could be doing things better they openly gave me advice without caring who I was or how well I played. I showed initiative and a willingness to improve and they gave me their time, I've made it onto ship leader boards thanks to their advice and I've learned a great deal, I have a long way to go with a lot more to learn but that's what it takes.

Just a few weeks ago I applied to QQ7 and was welcomed in with open arms. I see the opinion of what some people on the forum think of Unicum players and honestly it disgusts me to see people throw aside such opportunity to learn and discuss things with them in favour for the option that they stop posting things here. People say they know so much about them but I tell you if you got to spend the quality time with them that I do you would see a different side to these people and understand just how much they love this game and how heart broken they get when they see things going wrong. I once again invite people here to seek Unicum players out for advice (hopefully you don't overwhelm them) they are more willing to help players than most people understand, but don't be surprised if they give you straight facts and don't pull their punches. If you expect them to be humble and help you then you also must be humble and understand your place in terms of skill as a player and not think yourself too good to listen.

image.png

im aware that theres Unicums that are friendly, its just that we tend to see the ones like the late Akula that seem to get their rocks off of putting people down like theyre lesser beings, hell, id seek join a Unicum Clan if i didnt love my clan's complete chaotic memey ways

Edited by tcbaker777

[STURM]
Members
708 posts
5,756 battles
9 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

I will troll good players, only if they are being jerks to the general pop. 

Can you explain what they are doing in this thread that makes them jerks and justifies your actions?

Because aside from that single gif, the only two posts before you started insulting people were basically saying "don't be afraid to ask for help, lots of players are happy to give it."

• Cool 2

[HEROS]
Members
1,992 posts
17,635 battles

Many of the Unicum players are a joy to be around.. Positive, up beat, go getters.  I'm am happy for you.  Unfortunately for every good player like that there another player that isn't.  I've seen far to many unicum stat players that are just jerks.  They play to manipulate the numbers game, never take risks, never play ships other than the ones they are good in, and never ever play for the team. it not super common, but it is all too common.

I've gone partial unicum recently in BB's and Cruisers recently  (Blame the Italian Cruisers believe it or not!  They reward aggressive play as long as you don't make to many misplays...Just don't expect to live through the match)   But I'm a DD main and it's... difficult.  DD's are like an army Scout if you recall the old joke "the only good scout is a dead scout"

yea.. I die. a lot.  I play aggressively as is appropriate for a DD player and sometime you just zig when you should have zagged and DD's are easy to kill if they're in the wrong place at the wrong time even if they are hard to hit sometimes.  Very unforgiving ships.

Still, happy you found a good crew!  Good Hunting sir!

TL_Warlord_Roff sends

Edited by TL_Warlord_Roff
  • Cool 2

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,045 posts
10,103 battles

There are two sides to education which the "elite" so often forget:

• You need a willing student.
  • You also need a teacher that can teach.

It's this latter part which is so often overlooked.  Yes, we rail against the masses who are "playing for fun" or deride the potato who couldn't play the objective if they were sitting in it.  Our community's unicum seem like patron saints of good gameplay -- showing the masses how it's done and leading by example, if only those casuals were willing to learn.  However, it's here where the failing begins.

Being good at something doesn't automatically grant you social currency.  Your skill doesn't make you a good teacher, or someone that's worth listening to.  Teaching is hard -- it's not as simple as showing how you did things, but it begins with recognizing not only how someone is failing but why they're failing.  Without understanding the why, you're just some blowhard screaming in chat or forums or the Reddit, hoping that the purple numbers a third party site makes your opinion important enough to be worth heeding.

That's why finding people who are not only good at what they do, but also good coaches are exceedingly rare.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 20
  • Boring 2

Banned
715 posts
1,011 battles
10 hours ago, Mirage357 said:
Spoiler

However at the start of this year I decided I wanted to do better, I started spending time on peoples twitch streams, specifically unicum players. I took in all the information I could regarding what I could be doing better. I even got to division with one of the best cruiser players on the NA server a number of times. I made people aware of my will to improve, I reached out to a number of people that I knew could help me, the majority being 07 and ex-ZR members, and my results started to show.

Solo

Overall

image.png

Unicums dont exist in this game. Show me t10 solo unicum. Haven't seen one. Never see any of these guys in t10 randoms. Maybe 1 in a month of games.

These purps just exploiting the system 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 8

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,386 posts
9,798 battles
11 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

well said. enjoy my success.

Small success, just like the mindset you've had coming in here.  This is supposed to be a positive thread, and the people you've attacked have simply expressed they are willing to help others.  There has been nothing done to incite your childish antics.  

You come off as a short-sighted hater that simply dislike 07 because they're good.  Which ultimately shows off your own insecurity of your own very meager skillset at this game.  While harsh about mistakes, someone from 07 has slowly been showing me ways I can improve my play... they are far from bad people.

So instead of automatically trying to generalize all people from a group (as with any group, I'm sure there is at least one bad apple but if you want to be upset about that, go after them and ONLY them in a "best-case scenario" of what you are trying to do on these forums, at least till you get potentially reprimanded) how about you quiet down, perhaps absorb some of the *free* information people of that caliber put out, and enjoy the game?

People like you give a bad name to up-comers like OP and myself trying to improve, potentially jading skilled players who would be otherwise nice to the community.  You're purely toxic in this instance.

• Cool 2

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,258 battles
7 minutes ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

Unicums dont exist in this game. Show me t10 solo unicum. Haven't seen one. Never see any of these guys in t10 randoms. Maybe 1 in a month of games.

You dropped this

image.png

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

There are many good players, but very few great players. For myself,    i don't really care about my stat that much and get bored playing same thing all the time so I run everything.  I do like improving though, but I am finding that the game has become so gimmicky such that solo play has become much tougher.    still,   I don't mind  the challenge.  The gimmicks also has put a big wall against new players.   

I do find that having big map awareness all the time is the most challening for me.  When I see flambass counting and keeping track of the entire red team during match,    I know what I need to strive toward.  For myself,  I find   the walking the road is where it is interesting, but then I am old   lol.    heck, I've been regrinding  german and russian cruiser without upgrading GFCS.   makes it more interesing and challenging.  

Edited by centarina

Banned
715 posts
1,011 battles
11 minutes ago, eagle_lance said:

You dropped this

image.png

No I dropped this : just another example of purps exploiting the system...

You guys are like welfare moochers not unicums 

Edited by JaysUsedBoatParts
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles
50 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

my clan's complete chaotic memey ways

You guys are a great bunch of maniacs, fwiw.

[--K--]
Members
33 posts
7,518 battles
34 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

There are two sides to education which the "elite" so often forget:

• You need a willing student.
  • You also need a teacher that can teach.

It's this latter part which is so often overlooked.  Yes, we rail against the masses who are "playing for fun" or deride the potato who couldn't play the objective if they were sitting in it.  Our community's unicum seem like patron saints of good gameplay -- showing the masses how it's done and leading by example, if only those casuals were willing to learn.  However, it's here where the failing begins.

Being good at something doesn't automatically grant you social currency.  Your skill doesn't make you a good teacher, or someone that's worth listening to.  Teaching is hard -- it's not as simple as showing how you did things, but it begins with recognizing not only how someone is failing but why they're failing.  Without understanding the why, you're just some blowhard screaming in chat or forums or the Reddit, hoping that the purple numbers a third party site makes your opinion important enough to be worth heeding.

That's why finding people who are not only good at what they do, but also good coaches are exceedingly rare.

This on so many levels. I'm more than willing to help out someone eager to learn, but I'm not a good teacher. I point out mistakes quickly and bluntly. I don't pull punches on that, and that's not how a good learning environment is formed. I always make sure that if i'm trying to help or teach someone who is willing to learn, be that clanmate or a rando who joined our discord, I take a clanmate with a more moderate view with me, to make sure that i'm not being a jerk. I'm happy to teach skills in the game, especially for competitive ships, but I'm not the best teacher. Need to have the relationship go both ways, and that's hard when you're taking a small minority of the playerbase in terms of skill, then trying to find the teachers within it. If you go onto any top clan's discord you will be welcomed and as long as you aren't a jerk, you will find a lot of helpful information just by asking. I encourage any and every person to join communities of players at a higher skill level than where they are now and learn more about the game. It's fun, and that's why we all play it.

[XXX]
[XXX]
Members
79 posts
17,684 battles

Great post, Mirage.  Dare say it is inspirational.  You laid out the objectives and cleared a course to achieving them.  Congrats (to you and your div mate) on getting in to QQ7.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,138 posts
8,353 battles
1 hour ago, tcbaker777 said:

im aware that theres Unicums that are friendly, its just that we tend to see the ones like the late Akula that seem to get their rocks off of putting people down like theyre lesser beings...

It's the same thing on the other end of the scale, and in between for that matter.

Jerks are jerks. The only difference is how they attempt to assert your superiority. Unicum jerks will use stats. Potato jerks will claim the game is rigged, and they're smarter than you because they figured it out. Other jerks will use generational differences. You name it, some jerk will use it somehow, whatever their WR.

• Cool 2

[QQ7]
Members
17 posts
6,505 battles
1 hour ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

:cap_hmm: have you ever looked?