Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ironshroud

Experience with Yahagi (Co-op only)

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

47
[COOP2]
Members
256 posts
7,419 battles

Despite the less than enthusiastic reviews and my initial concerns I decided to give Yahagi a try and share what I think of her.

I figured I could use a tier 5+ IJN cruiser in my lineup (events/daily missions), and I wanted to spend very little on a new premium. Also, I’ll admit having an anniversary coupon to use made the choice easier.

I have only used her in Co-op which is why the post is in this section. Naturally this is a very different experience than random battles so take these thoughts with this in mind.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised and have enjoyed battles with her. Overall she’s about average, it’s just she has noticeable strengths and weaknesses. Some things which are weaknesses for others are just average from my perspective (ROF, survival) at least when used in Co-op.

  •          Guns: As a whole pretty good. HE excellent, gun angles and range very good, accuracy and ROF seem average for a tier 5 cruiser, the ROF hasn’t been a problem for me, turret speed not very good she is more comfortable with expert marksman, shells floaty but really no different from other floaty shell cruisers and this isn’t as big of a problem in Co-op, AP isn’t good (even small angles cause bounces) but at 7km or less on a flat target you can still get citadels on cruisers. When in doubt stick with HE.

  •          Torpedoes: Torpedoes are excellent, reload and firing angles are not. Even in Co-op the long range helps. The narrow firing angles are the single thing that frustrates me the most with her as it lessens your flexibility when using torpedoes, such as making it much harder to launch torpedoes when charging or kiting as you can't stay angled.

  •           AA: The AA rating doesn’t tell the whole story (It never does). It has no long range AA, average damage at medium range to 3.5km, but does high damage at short range inside 2.5km thanks to the ridiculous number of 25mm AA guns on her.

  •           Maneuverability: Very good speed, excellent rudder shift, turning circle is fine, speed boost is underwhelming as it doesn’t seem to improve acceleration as much as a destroyer’s boost. That may just be my perception. I have no way of confirming this.

  •          Concealment: Excellent.

  •           Survival: Surprisingly about average in my opinion. She has average HP, not the thinnest armor belt, and not the tallest citadel for tier 5 cruisers. She’s squishy but except for an angled/bow-in Furutaka so is every tier 5 cruiser. At least for Co-op she isn’t getting destroyed easily every other match (it is interesting that she has the highest survival rate for the tier 5 to 7 cruisers I have used, maybe due to me having more experience now). I can understand this being very different in random battles.

Now for captains, I think most (if not all) IJN cruiser captains will work with her as she benefits from so many skills. The question is what setup is 100% optimal for your play style and where you use her (random vs co-op). A discussion on captain skill builds for her could be an entire post due to the variety of setups you could come up with.

I can see her being more difficult in random battles for a variety of reasons I won’t get into here, but for co-op at least I think someone can have fun and do well with her.

If I have to pick one thing to improve: torpedo firing angles. After a decent number of battles, I think that would probably improve her the most and make her more flexible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[WOLF9]
Members
4,459 posts

  Nice review!   I tend to agree, as my experience was similar.   It turned out to be a fairly fun ship to fight in.

  I seem to get along with a lot of oddball ships:   Katori;  Yubari; Huang He etc.   So, the torpedo arcs were irritating, but nothing new.

 I DID get a kick out of a mid tier IJN cruiser with fairly good AA- they never expect that!  Plus, getting to play a real IJN light cruiser is kind of a novelty.   (Tenryu and Kuma are more like destroyer leaders with citadels)

  Like you said, Show me a mid tier cruiser that DOESN'T explode if someone looks at it funny.   Hell, Kirov's captain's allergies were acting up one day- and every time he sneezed, he citadelled the ship...   Omaha lost half it's health, it's engine and 2 turrets when a kamikaze seagull ran into it once.    Yahagi, while not as tanky as Furutaka, is more durable than many.

  It's earned a place among my small fleet of tier 5 cruisers I'll continue to play.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31
[M-T-B]
Members
98 posts
7,645 battles

Interesting you would mention torpedoes in Coop. Early game the Bots ease by them not impressed someone put them there,  it's late game long range you've got a chance. The only sure fire way I've noticed torp hits in Coop is Yolo up next to them and launch. Watched many CC's try everything in the book to make the ship work until they gave up in frustration. 

Good write up. Maybe you'll catch Little White Mouse's attention where Coop is the venue for 'crap' ships.  I'll give it try and add it to my Coop fleet.

Thanks  :Smile_izmena:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,576
[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

I have seen only 1 person use Yahagi in the game.  This is going to be one of the rarest ships to see in the game that isn't some old exclusive ship that few can access.  Yahagi's been out a while and for Randoms, she's only recorded 4,142 battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,120
[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
On 11/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yahagi's been out a while and for Randoms, she's only recorded 4,142 battles.

When the previews and reviews were as bad as Yahagi's were, very few are going to buy it. A few that collect any premium, a few that love the challenge, a few masochists, and a few who didn't read the reviews before buying. I assume it will become a favorite WG reward ship (like Katori) so the numbers will gradually increase.

Just wondering, for the ships tier and the foes it faces, which is better: Katori or Yahagi? And, is it different for randoms vs coop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,576
[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles
9 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

When the previews and reviews were as bad as Yahagi's were, very few are going to buy it. A few that collect any premium, a few that love the challenge, a few masochists, and a few who didn't read the reviews before buying. I assume it will become a favorite WG reward ship (like Katori) so the numbers will gradually increase.

Just wondering, for the ships tier and the foes it faces, which is better: Katori or Yahagi? And, is it different for randoms vs coop?

Tier V Cruisers in general aren't real good but I don't know which is worse, Emerald or Yahagi.

A lot of low tier Cruisers are pretty darn bad, it's like picking which turd is the best because one stinks a bit less than the others.

 

Cruisers don't start getting decent until Tier VI and at Tier VII they really start ramping up, so before those tiers, they don't have a favorable impression for me.  Even Furutaka in Tier V has a major issue:  RANGE.  Even in Tier V they each got very serious issues somewhere.  Before that tier, it's even worse.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,120
[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
7 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A lot of low tier Cruisers are pretty darn bad, it's like picking which turd is the best because one stinks a bit less than the others.

Yeah, that's why you have to compare them to the competition, not what they could/should have been.

Katori should be horrible but I can do OK in it. The slow speed means you never lead the charge but the accurate guns mean you can hit the faster ships way ahead in the scrum while taking little return fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,576
[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles
41 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Yeah, that's why you have to compare them to the competition, not what they could/should have been.

Katori should be horrible but I can do OK in it. The slow speed means you never lead the charge but the accurate guns mean you can hit the faster ships way ahead in the scrum while taking little return fire.

If I was playing a low tier ship in PVE, it would possibly be a BB (I own Konig and Imperator Nikolai I) or more likely a DD.  DDs absolutely own in Low Tiers.  With options like Clemson, Nicholas, Fujin / Kamikaze, Okhotnik, Isokaze, or the super fast reloading Tier II-III DDs like Umikaze, Derzki, they're very good there.  With the speed of your competition being so slow in low tiers, they have a decided advantage to hog damage and kills.  Tier IV and below, lots of very slow BBs.  Hell, even below that, there are Cruisers that feel barely faster than the extremely slow BBs there.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,120
[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Hell, even below that, there are Cruisers that feel barely faster than the extremely slow BBs there.

Isn't Katori the slowest ship in the game (at least tied for the dubious title). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,576
[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Isn't Katori the slowest ship in the game (at least tied for the dubious title). 

III CL Katori 18kts (I own her lol)

III BB South Carolina 18kts :Smile_teethhappy:

II BB Mikasa 18kts :Smile_glasses:

At least IV BB Wyoming is 20.5kts.

III BB Kawachi 20kts

III BB Suvurov 22kts - Because why not?

III BB Konig Albert 21kts :Smile_izmena:

 

USN BBs.

Home of the Free.

Home of the Slow Battleships.

 

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,120
[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
42 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

II CL Katori 18kts (I own her lol)

III BB South Carolina 18kts :Smile_teethhappy:

II BB Mikasa 18kts

I own the Mikasa too. Not sure why I still have her. Very rarely want to take her out. Opposite of Katori with the guns.. Big but pretty much guaranteed to NOT hit where you are aiming at any range. So I have 2 of the 3 slowpokes. I have the Texas too at 20.5kts like Wyoming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,316
[WOOK3]
Members
4,212 posts
3,235 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Tier V Cruisers in general aren't real good but I don't know which is worse, Emerald or Yahagi.

A lot of low tier Cruisers are pretty darn bad, it's like picking which turd is the best because one stinks a bit less than the others.

 

Cruisers don't start getting decent until Tier VI and at Tier VII they really start ramping up, so before those tiers, they don't have a favorable impression for me.  Even Furutaka in Tier V has a major issue:  RANGE.  Even in Tier V they each got very serious issues somewhere.  Before that tier, it's even worse.

You bring up bad memories. When I started the game, IJN Cruisers was my first line. Ocean was in heavy rotation at T6 in those days, and I played match after match in my Furutaka, with my 17 km detect, and my 12 km gun range on Ocean. I unlocked Aoba and haven't played IJN cruisers since. 

I like Atago though, my best co-op game have been in Atago. 

I might give Yahagi a try though, just because. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
485
[CO-OP]
Members
1,462 posts
24,625 battles

Katori is acres of fun in COOP, laser accurate guns, short torp reload. Yubari similarly so at t4 although her torp arcs are possibly the most restricted in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[WOLF9]
Members
4,459 posts
8 hours ago, Efros said:

Katori is acres of fun in COOP, laser accurate guns, short torp reload. Yubari similarly so at t4 although her torp arcs are possibly the most restricted in the game.

  Yup- I've actually gotten SECONDARY kills with Katori in Co-op!!   With that one friggin turret, lol.

  Being slow in Co-op is far less crippling than it is in Random- because your enemies come to you.  Or at least meet you halfway.    The only problem comes from matches heavy with DD's and fast torp cruisers.   Then you just become one of the spectators along with the BB's.  

  Yubari is fun for an entirely different reason (aside from having laser accurate guns that hit hard)- it's fast, has decent AA with DFAA, and plays like a DD with a citadel.  (it's essentially a tier 4 Tenryu)   It's a ship BORN to make an annoying pest out of itself!    And to troll CV's.    Those god-awful torpedo arcs are the only thing keeping it from being a monster.

  Yahagi  continues that tradition.   A weird, quirky alternative to the tech tree ship that can be a real blast to play once you get it figured out.   But will bend you over the barrel, if you don't play it right- or attract too much enemy attention.

  Bonus is that it's very easy on the eyes, too!

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,120
[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
On 11/13/2019 at 7:16 PM, Wombatmetal said:

I played match after match in my Furutaka, with my 17 km detect, and my 12 km gun range on Ocean.

err....the Furrytaco has a 12.2 concealment (base, no cammo or captain skill) with a 12.6 (stock) or 13.8 (upgrade) range. 10K torps (upgraded) with good launch angles so you can almost stealth torp fully upgraded. It has been powercrept but was a fairly good T5 cruiser. The only one with 203's for a long time.

I would still like to see a version (premium?) with 6x2 140mm guns. These guns would be at least as good as the ones on Katori/Yubari. DDs beware!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,316
[WOOK3]
Members
4,212 posts
3,235 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

err....the Furrytaco has a 12.2 concealment (base, no cammo or captain skill) with a 12.6 (stock) or 13.8 (upgrade) range. 10K torps (upgraded) with good launch angles so you can almost stealth torp fully upgraded. It has been powercrept but was a fairly good T5 cruiser. The only one with 203's for a long time.

I would still like to see a version (premium?) with 6x2 140mm guns. These guns would be at least as good as the ones on Katori/Yubari. DDs beware!

Before the OWSF changes concealment was very different. It was 17 km then, same gun range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,120
[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
On 11/11/2019 at 1:17 PM, Ironshroud said:

If I have to pick one thing to improve: torpedo firing angles. After a decent number of battles, I think that would probably improve her the most and make her more flexible.

It is somewhat of a game standard but ahistorical limit. IRL, most torpedoes could be set to run on a preset heading which might not be the same as how the tubes were pointed. The torps would turn after launch to their set heading (assuming the gyros were working correctly). WG isn't likely to adopt this, even for those ships with ridiculous firing arcs:Smile_sad:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[WOLF9]
Members
4,459 posts
6 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

err....the Furrytaco has a 12.2 concealment (base, no cammo or captain skill) with a 12.6 (stock) or 13.8 (upgrade) range. 10K torps (upgraded) with good launch angles so you can almost stealth torp fully upgraded. It has been powercrept but was a fairly good T5 cruiser. The only one with 203's for a long time.

I would still like to see a version (premium?) with 6x2 140mm guns. These guns would be at least as good as the ones on Katori/Yubari. DDs beware!

  I would definitely buy that ship, if WG were to make it.   That sounds fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,120
[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
1 hour ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

I would definitely buy that ship, if WG were to make it.   That sounds fun!

It probably would be on the Tacos A hull, so torps and AA would suck . Great dpm though from 12 gun broadsides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×