You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
1nv4d3rZ1m

New Damage control advice from highly skilled unicum

64 comments in this topic

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,904 posts
8,457 battles

Hello, I would just like to pass on some advice from a recent Notser video. He mentioned in the video that he DCPs single fires because he has done the math and he ends up taking less fire damage than if he waits for another fire. 

As you can see from this game he presented, the tactic is flawless and never burned him. 

• Funny 8
  • Boring 2

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,168 battles

I'm going to guess that by your language and snark, Notser gave some advice that came back to bite him in the behind?

• Cool 1

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles

notser is a pioneer of our time, i will not let you insult his intelligence and top tier gameplay!

He is a trend setter, a meta creator, how would we have known that IFHE on a des moines would kill shimakaze faster? how could we have known the benefits of capping nose in without NA greatest cc.

This hero is informing all the new players and current average players on how to be better at the game.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 4

[O7]
11,904 posts
8,457 battles
4 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

I'm going to guess that by your language and snark, Notser gave some advice that came back to bite him in the behind?

Notser is an excellent player in his own opinion. I couldnt begin to question his tactical decisions. 

As for the snark, I am just naturally snarky. Im on a new treatment for it but it does not seem to have kicked in yet. 

• Funny 2
  • Boring 5

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles

If you are a potato this advice applies since you get the "instant DCP one fire, reduced fire chance" debuff.

If you are average this is neutral advice.

If you are unicum, this guarantees you to have the next shell which hits 0.01 seconds after your DCP is down set a fire.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,168 battles
1 minute ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Notser is an excellent player in his own opinion. I couldnt begin to question his tactical decisions. 

As for the snark, I am just naturally snarky. Im on a new treatment for it but it does not seem to have kicked in yet. 

Also good at not actually answering questions.

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
1,712 posts
4,168 battles
Just now, enderland07 said:

If you are a potato this advice applies since you get the "instant DCP one fire, reduced fire chance" debuff.

If you are average this is neutral advice.

If you are unicum, this guarantees you to have the next shell which hits 0.01 seconds after your DCP is down set a fire.

Eh, it doesn't matter what my wr is, the first shot at me by anything using HE is guaranteed to start a fire.

I guess the proper answer to the whole fire DCP thing is: Sometimes you let a fire burn, sometimes you DCP immediately.  Your experience will let you know which is when..

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Members
1,631 posts
11,231 battles
5 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

I guess the proper answer to the whole fire DCP thing is: Sometimes you let a fire burn, sometimes you DCP immediately.  Your experience will let you know which is when..

True true...

Now, could we have a discussion on when to fire off the repair party?   Would like some purple insight into that.

I tend like a full HP bar.   If I get burned down to, say 75% health, but the heal would get me nearly filled up, I hit repair and build my HP bar.

But when watching some of the Twitch streams, I see players get down between 25 to just under 50% before hitting repair.    Maybe it's saving for end-of-match?     I typically don't run through all my heals, since either we win quickly, or the green team folds, and becoming the priority target doesn't allow enough time for the repair cooldown.

Members
6,114 posts
7,430 battles

Snark or not, this thread is a bit of a fallacious argument. For one, he's using JOAT on the unique German captain, so his DCP cool down is shorter. Second, he's never really in a position where he can't disengage almost immediately(at least not until the very end) and not have to suffer extended exposure to HE shellfire. (which is one of the main reasons for cautioning against DCP usage on a single fire)

If you can prevent damage by DCP'ing and going dark, then by all means do it. In the long run it'll just save a heal for later in the match when you might really need one.

However, with that said, I personally wouldn't condone his behavior. Nor his reasoning. In fact, I actually agree with the implication by the OP on his reasoning. It's dumb. But anyone that has experience should recognize this. As Gasboy said above, there are times you let a single fire burn and there are times you DCP it almost instantly. Experience will tell you when to apply either method.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 2

[R-F]
Members
333 posts
11,725 battles
6 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

True true...

Now, could we have a discussion on when to fire off the repair party?   Would like some purple insight into that.

I tend like a full HP bar.   If I get burned down to, say 75% health, but the heal would get me nearly filled up, I hit repair and build my HP bar.

But when watching some of the Twitch streams, I see players get down between 25 to just under 50% before hitting repair.    Maybe it's saving for end-of-match?     I typically don't run through all my heals, since either we win quickly, or the green team folds, and becoming the priority target doesn't allow enough time for the repair cooldown.

All that matters for the most part is getting full heals off, meaning the most you can possible heal in a match. There are niche cases to hold repairs for adrenaline rush (Conqueror comes to mind), but otherwise use it as soon as you have a full max strength heal. 

[O7]
11,904 posts
8,457 battles
7 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

True true...

People saving the heals are using Adrenaline Rush and think that they can survive on the HP they have. For most people its better to use the repair party any time you can make full use of it because if you get in a bad situation its better to have more hp than be stuck waiting for the cooldown on the repair party to expire. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[O7]
Members
729 posts
20,637 battles

BB players should always DCP one fire.  Always.  I was able to farm a Conqueror for 100k after he auto DCP the first fire.  I promptly put 4 on him.  Always DCP one fire.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles
6 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

True true...

its situational, if you have a smolensk shooting at you why would you dcp when you have a broken rate of fire with a broken fire chance spamming you down? he will just get another 3 fires on you, unless there is the opportunity for you to go undetected by dcping the fire.

This is just part of experience of time playing the game knowing when the situation is right to dcp fires, notser is telling people to dcp fires because you can, he immediately takes more HE shells as soon as he dcps which could have set instant new fires completely neutering the point of using that dcp.

I would highly advise not listening to notser advice, as toxic as that may come across.

Members
9,159 posts
11,181 battles

Personally, I hit the DC button as much as I use the W key, constantly. Better safe and at full speed the entire match than sorry, that's my take. Fire terrifies me.

• Confused 2

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,612 posts
14,665 battles

The real gigabrain move is to equip premium consumables and never use them.

• Cool 1

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles
25 minutes ago, bfk_ferlyfe said:

BB players should always DCP one fire.  Always.  I was able to farm a Conqueror for 100k after he auto DCP the first fire.  I promptly put 4 on him.  Always DCP one fire.

ping

Members
229 posts
904 battles

If you can disengage quickly, sure go for it. But in the case of being targeted by a Smolensk, I would wait for two fires at least, probably three. That being said, if you're being targeted by a Smol and you can't disengage, you're probably dead anyway.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,467 posts
6,520 battles

I have a hard time making myself DCP two fires for the fear of getting 3!    This is the end times!!!!   

[WOLFG]
Members
29,134 posts
8,345 battles
1 hour ago, Gasboy said:

Excellent point. Very rarely is anything set in stone, it's all about circumstances.

Why would I let a single fire burn, when I'm going into cover 10 seconds in, and I anticipate my cooldown being done before I get shot at again? (or even not completely done, 50 seconds of 1 fire will do more damage than say, 10 extra seconds of 2 or 3 fires because I had to wait for cooldown)

I think "never DC 1 fire" is better said as, "never feel that you have to DC 1 fire".

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,134 posts
4,090 battles
1 hour ago, DiddleDum said:

True true...

It doesn't matter when you lose the HP, if you're going to lose it you're to lose it, and when you trigger repair doesn't matter. Now an argument could be made that people are more likely to shoot you if you're low HP, but that's really hard to pin down.

The way I run is if I can use the full HP (i.e. I've lost enough health that 100% of the consumable will be used) and I have a heal available I use it. I want to have as much HP available so if I take a sudden AP salvo or torp I have a better chance of surviving. I run a mod that shows me how much HP I can recover vs how much the consumable repairs, and when what I can heal is greater than the heal I hit it.

The caveat is eventually you do run out of HP, so if you're in danger of dying then you need to pop that heal ASAP.

Essentially your 5 heals add to your HP pool (assuming you lose HP slowly enough to use them all). So as long as you use 100% of the consumable it doesn't really matter. Personally I like to be not on fire and out of direct fire when I hit the heal, but that's more a mind thing, I like to see my HP increasing rather than holding steady. It doesn't matter whether you lose HP during or after the heal, the final number will be the same. But usually I hit heal as soon as it's ready for 100% use.

The exception is Adrenaline Rush. If you aren't in immediately in danger of dying, then holding off on the heal and staying at low HP will increase your ROF which is obviously beneficial. So often you'll see good players who are relatively safe wait on the heal to get more DPM. That way you have the heal if you need it, but in the mean time you have better reload. You can't do this in all situations, like trying to stay alive while running away. But say if you're safe in smoke and spamming some poor BB, staying at low HP for better fires is the right choice.

[FML]
Members
3,943 posts
15,508 battles

True true...

It’s a good question. They hold off using heal so Adrenaline Rush kicks in and increases their gun and torp reloads. Whilst I understand that, I don’t think I’m good enough to survive to the end of battle without using my heal pretty much immediately so it comes off coopdown sooner later when I might really need it. I figure surviving to late battle is more important that more DPM through the mid battle with a higher chance of screwing up and dying awkwardly and thus throwing the match...

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles

Not entirely purple, but maybe I can help a bit.

Assuming you have Adrenaline Rush as a captain skill, you can decide to hold off from using the repair party as long as you can assure that a few conditions are met. Those conditions are: a. You are not going to die right now, be it by Damage over Time or some Alpha Strike, b. You actually have an opportunity to utilize the increased damage output in the foreseeable future and c. You are certain that you are not gimping yourself by delaying the usage of the heals that could be used afterwards (as cooldowns are also a thing, obviously).

If you are not sure about the above, then use it once you can get the full usage out or if it‘s essential to keeping you afloat (longer). Nothing is more frustrating than getting greedy for every bit of dpm and sinking because of it.